The Flume in Franconia Notch

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torn&frayed

Reaction score
Would it be considered trespassing to visit the Flume before it officially opens to the general public? I know that the boardwalks are dismantled and walking down into the gorge itself wouldn't be the same, but it seems like something to do on a rainy April day.
Any thoughts?
Thank you.

Well, I had never previously been there but, when I hiked Liberty and Flume I accidentally wandered down to the Flume & the Pool and it seemed like there was a boardwalk and access to the covered bridge and stuff. There were plenty of tracks going down there so people have visited it. I was kind of annoyed that I had gone the wrong way so I looked around for a few seconds, realized where I probably was and then got out of there. I'd try walking down there.

-Dr. Wu

We used to do it. A nice walk. You may need snowshoes.

The boardwalk is removed from the Flume during the winter, but it is doable if the snowbridges are in good enough shape. People also ice climb on the walls.

Doug

DougPaul said:
We used to do it. A nice walk. You may need snowshoes.

The boardwalk is removed from the Flume during the winter, but it is doable if the snowbridges are in good enough shape. People also ice climb on the walls.

Doug
Since I had never been there before, I had no idea what was missing. I think it's barebootable to The Flume but maybe some kind of traction aid would help if you're planning on walking down the stairs.

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
Since I had never been there before, I had no idea what was missing. I think it's barebootable to The Flume but maybe some kind of traction aid would help if you're planning on walking down the stairs.

Once upon a time, the Flume Slide Tr went through the Flume. We used to theorize that it was moved so the tourists wouldn't have to experience the smelly hikers...

People used to talk about bushwacking the old route--guess you did it by accident. :)

It's a short walk--I would take my snowshoes given how the snowpack is softening these (too hot) days. However, I wouldn't be surprised if it is well postholed out.

BTW, there is a trail around to the head of the Flume, so even if the Flume itself is impassable, you can look in from both ends.

Doug

Its perfectly fine AND normal. Ice climbers trek into there in Winter before the ice melts. Don;t see why Melt season is any different.

There is an article in today's "Get out" section of the NH Union Leader that has some pictures and a brief description of the Flume in springtime. Can't find it online though....

Sherpa John said:
Don;t see why Melt season is any different.

DougPaul said:
The ice falls down? :(

CragginCragin said:
Ice melts. It falls.
On your next excursion through lovely downtown North Conway, pass a glance to Cathedral Ledge; right now the ice is falling and it sounds like a hundred drunken busboys are dropping dishes over the cliff.

Yes I know. I used to ice climb myself.

It was a joke with a point...

Doug

Last edited:
I used to ice climb in the Flume alot and its a wonerfull place to explore in the winter. Good point about the ice falling though, I would excersise caution during the melt, as you enter the gorge proper where the boardwalk is dismanteled, the stream flows under the boardwalk out of the Flume, the stream is covered in ice and an opening forms to aloow water to flow under the ice, perfect for someone to fall into, I used to call it the "Hole of death" :eek:

DougPaul said:
Once upon a time, the Flume Slide Tr went through the Flume. Doug

In 1970, when I was a wee lad of 13, I went on a backpacking trip that went through the Flume (and out by Greenleaf Hut) - I reckon that was when the Flume Slide Trail was routed that way. I remember a really fine shelter along the way.

Yes, no problem going in there off-season bureaucratically speaking although watch out for the falling ice. There's a nice loop hike you can do that avoids the potentially dangerous narrow boardwalk area. You'd probably still need snowshoes unless you like to posthole.