MEC Tarn2 or Hummingbird2 owner?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikingfish

Reaction score
Montreal, Qc, Canada Avatar: Top of Gothics, Adk
I'm considering one of those two tents as a light backpacking tent mostly for myself, perhaps for another hiker as well every now and then.

I was told I could even use the tarn2 in winter if camping under the treeline, where there would be not winds and no huge snowfall, but I'll probably invest in something better for winter use.

Anyways, has anyone ever used either of these tents? I'd really appreciate comments on them.

Fish :eek:

I own a MEC Tarn 3 and it's an inexpensive ordinary tent that weighs 6 or 7 lbs. It has poor ventilation and I imagine 3 thermarests really would fit side by side in it. I would only sleep 3 if Carmen Diaz and Jennifer Lopez were my tent mates which means that the condensation would be a serious problem.

I plan on going light this summer which means I'll likely be making a purchase from tarptent.com's website in the near future.

I have a Tarn 2 (well, my son does, but I use it). Very good value for the money, IMO. Not the lightest, but quite well built and thought out. Not the most roomy tent, but big enough that my wife didn't mind me sharing it with another woman one trip. For solo use, it is BIG. I tend to use one of those body-bag tents for non-winter solo trips. YMMV.

Winter use.. While it isn't advertized as a winter tent, I wouldn'T think twice about using it in the winter, if I wouldn't have to worry about blowing snow getting in.