Woodstock - Kinsman Ridge Forest Fire

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's on Dilly Cliff, above Lost River. I was there this afternoon. I maintain Dilly Cliff Trail for the Forest Society, so this will be "interesting". WMUR is reporting that fire crews are using the trail to access the area. I guess it was dying down a bit earlier today, but then winds kicked up. I witnessed several large flare-ups where the forest just seemed to explode from a sudden surge of oxygen.

4FB82AEE-CD3A-43D9-9E30-BCCB458D1E4E.jpg

It's on Dilly Cliff, above Lost River. I was there this afternoon. I maintain Dilly Cliff Trail for the Forest Society, so this will be "interesting". WMUR is reporting that fire crews are using the trail to access the area. I guess it was dying down a bit earlier today, but then winds kicked up. I witnessed several large flare-ups where the forest just seemed to explode from a sudden surge of oxygen.

View attachment 5874

I assume that the fire is hiding in the duff and we will need a good rain or snow event to fully extinguish it.

I have been rereading Danial Doan's "Our Last Backpack", and in the book, he mentions a childhood camp out where an overnight rain probably saved his life after leaving a fire unattended at bedtime.

Last edited:

Quote from the article "Utter destruction" lol. No, it's a natural occurrence and the forest usually comes out better for it. It's a tiny fire, it's funny to read the comments on facebook. I'm so sad, my mountains are burning, omg no. get a grip folks, it's going to be just fine. It will provide a unique chance to watch a forest recover. If it gets up in the 1000's of acres, you can start to worry.

Quote from the article "Utter destruction" lol. No, it's a natural occurrence and the forest usually comes out better for it. It's a tiny fire, it's funny to read the comments on facebook. I'm so sad, my mountains are burning, omg no. get a grip folks, it's going to be just fine. It will provide a unique chance to watch a forest recover. If it gets up in the 1000's of acres, you can start to worry.

#letitburn

Went by there at noon Thursday and at 4:30. No flames visible but smoke seemed to expand over the day. At least three helicopters were grabbing water from the pond across the street, then going north and west (the Kinsman side) and approaching the fire from the south (the Woodstock side). The rangers seemed to be the law enforcement group in charge, having blocked off the AT parking lot. Lost River Gorge was the base camp for many vehicles (dozens).

Will post some photos in the next post.

Attachments

• IMG_1236.jpg
    IMG_1236.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_1239.jpg
    IMG_1239.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_1221.jpg
    IMG_1221.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 201
Suspiciously close to the site where Barney and Betty Hill were abducted by aliens. I'm just saying. Meteor? We may never know the true story.

Burn Policy?

Will post some photos in the next post.

Great photos. Thanks.

I'm curious...

Why isn't there a "let it burn" policy in place for naturally occurring fires that do not threaten buildings, residences, etc. in New England forests?

Out west that now seems to be the approach being taken on Natl Forest lands.

And whose budget will be paying for all that helo time? Hopefully not overstretched F&G.

cb

In this particular case, it did threaten buildings. I bet the management at Lost River didn't like to see those flames over their heads. Perhaps also the AT passing through the fire zone had some influence on the decision.