Winter Arrives This Weekend Above Treeline (Pack for it)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
Full on winter conditions above treeline Sunday with potential 100 mph winds coming. It's that time of year that fools even experienced hikers. Take care. Good time to think about winter pack contents, emergency bivy gear, goggles for up high, and other considerations.

Last edited:
Windy yes...but full on Winter...nah. Be prepared but don’t expect Artic temps IMO. Yes conditions are changing and this time of year can fool a lot but definitely not in the depthcon zone.

It won't be full on ground winter conditions yet, but Monday is predicted to drop to 17F with winds gusting over 100. Some snow, rime ice, bitter wind chills. Cold enough on the high summits. Yesterday was gorgeous on Madison. I wouldn't want to get caught up there prepared or unprepared over night tonight.

It won't be full on ground winter conditions yet, but Monday is predicted to drop to 17F with winds gusting over 100. Some snow, rime ice, bitter wind chills. Cold enough on the high summits. Yesterday was gorgeous on Madison. I wouldn't want to get caught up there prepared or unprepared over night tonight.
Not to be snarky but Monday is not part of the weekend.;)

This post must be for the hikers who don't follow the weather or feel lucky in that they can beat the front coming in. Not to mention taking the weather forecast as God's spoken word.. or etched in Stone with no flexibility. And their are the "ones" who just feel lucky and can't happen to them because they are "experienced" hikers with "proper" gear.. Another Winter coming and going with deaths up there for sure..I can see it now.

62 dgrees here on the coast. Think anyone from the coast, or from Boston, who wants to hike the Presis today is thinking mittens and goggles?

Hopefully I won’t be one of those dying this Winter.

This post must be for the hikers who don't follow the weather or feel lucky in that they can beat the front coming in. Not to mention taking the weather forecast as God's spoken word.. or etched in Stone with no flexibility. And their are the "ones" who just feel lucky and can't happen to them because they are "experienced" hikers with "proper" gear.. Another Winter coming and going with deaths up there for sure..I can see it now.

I hope your voice is a cross between Sam Elliott and Jeff Bridges, because that's the voice I hear when I read this post.

Not to be snarky but Monday is not part of the weekend.;)

It's occasionally an unexpected third day for those caught by surprise on Saturday and Sunday. The weather forecasts from a few days ago had rough weather beginning Sunday. As it stood yesterday, Sunday evening was the start of it.

It's simply a basic reminder that winter starts sooner on the high peaks than elsewhere. With over 220 S&R missions in NH last year, being slightly over cautious is not a bad thing IMO.