That time of year to dress in fashionable Orange

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Despite the extended warm stretch,its that time of year where hikers may be sharing the woods with hunters. NH moose season is this week and I have seen folks heading into and out of the woods with shotguns in my travels. There are places you can go to avoid hunters and if in doubt you can hike on Sundays in Maine but its still worth getting the orange out as its probably the easiest.

Despite the extended warm stretch,its that time of year where hikers may be sharing the woods with hunters. NH moose season is this week and I have seen folks heading into and out of the woods with shotguns in my travels. There are places you can go to avoid hunters and if in doubt you can hike on Sundays in Maine but its still worth getting the orange out as its probably the easiest.

Looks like they only awarded 51 permits this year, after 72 last year and 105 in 2015, and 124 in 2014, and 275 in 2013. I've never run into a moose hunter, but I suspect that's largely because they don't want to haul a moose very far down a hiking trail. :)

Be very careful if you are on the AT corridor around Sugar Loaf - Spalding ect. The logging roads cross the trail in several areas and I have seen numbers of hunters in that area. They can get there in trucks and ATV's. Often there are other access roads or trails that hikers are not aware of that are used by hunters. I would be real careful if you are going up PATN or the Twins, Galehead ect. All spots where I have met hunters. There are more guys out there than you think. Wear your orange for your sake and for the hunters as well.

Looks like they only awarded 51 permits this year, after 72 last year and 105 in 2015, and 124 in 2014, and 275 in 2013. I've never run into a moose hunter, but I suspect that's largely because they don't want to haul a moose very far down a hiking trail. :)

The number of permits is based upon moose census and the declining permits are representative of the impact of winter ticks and coyotes on population. I wouldn't get too comfortable far off trail as hunters can field dress the moose and haul it out in quarters or smaller; a snow base makes this much easier.

Be very careful if you are on the AT corridor around Sugar Loaf - Spalding ect. The logging roads cross the trail in several areas and I have seen numbers of hunters in that area. They can get there in trucks and ATV's. Often there are other access roads or trails that hikers are not aware of that are used by hunters. I would be real careful if you are going up PATN or the Twins, Galehead ect. All spots where I have met hunters. There are more guys out there than you think. Wear your orange for your sake and for the hunters as well.

My groups tend to wear bright colors regardless of the season. There is part of me that finds it very amusing to see hunters wearing blaze orange on over their camo. I've heard that hunters prefer to avoid hiking trails as they tend to present poor hunting conditions, but I've not hunted so I have nothing to add.

The number of permits is based upon moose census and the declining permits are representative of the impact of winter ticks and coyotes on population. I wouldn't get too comfortable far off trail as hunters can field dress the moose and haul it out in quarters or smaller; a snow base makes this much easier.

Yeah, the moose population is significantly declining. I generally don't do much off trail, so I should be fine. It's still bear season, and deer season will be expanding beyond archery soon. I sure hope they get a nice snow base, just gotta get my fall trail work done first. :)

My groups tend to wear bright colors regardless of the season. There is part of me that finds it very amusing to see hunters wearing blaze orange on over their camo. I've heard that hunters prefer to avoid hiking trails as they tend to present poor hunting conditions, but I've not hunted so I have nothing to add.

It does look odd to see the blaze over the camo, but that's because some will use the same gear for when they need the blaze and when they don't.

And, yes, typically will avoid hiking trails as there are people walking on them. How many times have you seen a deer on a trail? I've seen them only a small-handful of times. I think I've only seen an actual hunter twice.

It does look odd to see the blaze over the camo, but that's because some will use the same gear for when they need the blaze and when they don't.

And, yes, typically will avoid hiking trails as there are people walking on them. How many times have you seen a deer on a trail? I've seen them only a small-handful of times. I think I've only seen an actual hunter twice.

Oh yeah, I get it - it's their outdoor gear. It's like me playing tennis in basketball shorts. :)

I think I've seen more moose than deer on trail (probably 6-3), although I am typically in better moose habitat. How high up will deer venture? I assume that an evergreen forest isn't ideal habitat for them.

I am not a hunter but I have read and heard from many folks that the best hunting is south of the whites. The population of deer is much higher. Just look for areas with lots of ticks ;).

Deer season starts on Saturday in Maine. The first day is residents only. No hunting on Sundays in Maine. The most significant hunting pressure in Maine is during the month of November which is deer season. But, I have learned that anytime from September thru December is open season for something. Dawn & dusk are the most important time of day to be alert for hunters. Do not wear white (especially hats or mittens)

I am not a hunter but I have read and heard from many folks that the best hunting is south of the whites. The population of deer is much higher. Just look for areas with lots of ticks ;).

I live in Southern NH, and more days than not there are 1-5 in my yard at some point during the day.

I’ve only seen one moose on the trail while hiking. I’ve seen several on the road driving to and from a hike. Deer I’ve seen all over the place. Only hunters I’ve seen were in Bradbury mtn State park one year on the last day. That was prety bizarre since there seemed to be a hunter every dozen feet. :D

Never had a problem with hunters when I’ve hiked around them. Typically, as was mentioned, its inconvenient to shoot a large animal very far from a road.

Be real careful on opening and closing day of rifle season for deer.

When living in NYS, I would routinely see 10+ deer in my front yard. They were more common than people in Steuben County. Since living in NH, I've probably seen three moose for every deer....not many deer over the years.