Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Storm Phillipe

'Springtime' on the Carters (Tamworth, NH)

Storm Phillipe

It's been 5 years since Sandy and the weather tonight has been pretty impressive here with tons of wind and rain. I noticed that the Pemi at Lincoln has shot up to almost 9k CFS in the last couple of hours, which I suspect is leading to flash flooding and the potential for trail and road damage. Hopefully everyone is safe and sound.
    | 63.8% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

I live on the Peabody River near the Stony Brook Trail. I haven't slept a second all night, We lost power around 2AM, I keep monitoring the river closely to make sure we don't have to flee. Looking forward to the sun come up soon so it's easier to judge. The boulders being tossed through the rapids sound like thunder and the house rattles from this from time to time. Incredible and scary!

-Chris

Looking at the Peabody River gauge, which Stony Brook feeds into, its gained 8 feet overnight and still climbing. Hopefully the rip rapping on White Birch Lane holds up. I expect the major dam project on Androscoggin River in Gorham is underwater.

Fire department told most of my street to get out. They told my neighbor and me to watch the water level closely. The retaining wall is holding up behind my property to the swimming hole just up the street. They don't know if it will hold though. We left and are in North Conway and will head back later.

As we drove south the rivers were incredible to see, the entrance to dolly copp was flooded a few hundred feet down the road with some of the pavement breaking away on the sides, the bridge was fine as far as we could tell.

There's a post on FB that's a bit unclear (it seems to be confusing the Dry River and the Saco) but apparently 302 is closed because they expect a bridge to go and the driveway bridge over the Saco north of the Davis Path parking lot is still there but the river has carved around on both sides. (Or maybe it's a bridge that looks almost identical.) The storm definitely seems to have tracked further north than originally thought; I left the Cape around 3:15 yesterday and hit bad rain from Lexington through to about Newburyport. Here it's been more wind damage than rain, but the Cochecho was already running very high on Friday so I expect this event may continue to be interesting as the storm water moves down drainage.

I see the NH 511 has US RT2 listed as closed due to bridge washout. That could be big one

NOAA Flash Flood Watch is talking about possible dam failure on the Androscoggin in Shelburne, NH...saying that due to high flows, the concrete structure is overtopped.
    Last edited by Lost Dad; 10-30-2017 at 11:00 AM.

'Springtime' on the Carters (Tamworth, NH)
    I think the Pemi gauge at Lincoln went down, which is surprising since it recorded all of Irene when it went up to 30k CFS.

Scary stuff! Thanks for your reports.
    | 63.8% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

Maybe we'll get lucky and this will solve the Thoreau Falls bridge issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Dad View Post
    NOAA Flash Flood Watch is talking about possible dam failure on the Androscoggin in Shelburne, NH...saying that due to high flows, the concrete structure is overtopped.
    Is that dam off North Road? Also, do the RR tracks between Gorham and Shelburne ever flood along the river?

I expect its the Shelburne dam which is off of North road. Not the first time the Shelburne dam gets over topped. The new owner put in an emergency spill way after Irene so the powerhouse is probably an island in the river right now. Its an odd configuration where part of the bridge can act as a secondary dam. The dam typically floods over before the RR tracks washout. The only time the RR tracks are in danger is if there is an ice jam.

The photos of the washout on RT2 look to be west of North Road so Shelburne is effectively cut off from the rest of NH unless you are on an ATV and cross the river in Gorham via the ATV trail (Old Boston and Maine RR bridges) and then drive south on Hogan Road assuming its not washed out.

There is a upstream dam in Gorham across from the car dealers which is under major reconstruction with lots of temporary supports in the river channel, I expect the contractor is going to be fishing out equipment along the riverbanks down river next week. Its flash boards are already down but expect its the Peabody River flow that it giving the Shelburne dam problems.

These 100 year floods are happening about every 10 years these days

Of note, while some of this is energy from Phillipe, this is not actually Phillipe itself. Phillipe dissipated yesterday about 1000 miles away. But some of the energy went into intensifying the low we are seeing today.

From NHC:

"Much of the latent heat and deep convection associated with Philippe's remnants will likely be drawn into a larger extratropical
    low pressure that is developing near the outer banks of North Carolina, aiding in that intensification process. Although the
    developing powerful low near the Outer Banks is not directly associated with Philippe, interests along the mid-Atlantic and
    southern New England coasts should closely monitor forecast products..."

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I expect its the Shelburne dam which is off of North road. Not the first time the Shelburne dam gets over topped. The new owner put in an emergency spill way after Irene so the powerhouse is probably an island in the river right now. Its an odd configuration where part of the bridge can act as a secondary dam. The dam typically floods over before the RR tracks washout. The only time the RR tracks are in danger is if there is an ice jam.

The photos of the washout on RT2 look to be west of North Road so Shelburne is effectively cut off from the rest of NH unless you are on an ATV and cross the river in Gorham via the ATV trail (Old Boston and Maine RR bridges) and then drive south on Hogan Road assuming its not washed out.

There is a upstream dam in Gorham across from the car dealers which is under major reconstruction with lots of temporary supports in the river channel, I expect the contractor is going to be fishing out equipment along the riverbanks down river next week. Its flash boards are already down but expect its the Peabody River flow that it giving the Shelburne dam problems.

These 100 year floods are happening about every 10 years these days
    Thanks for the info. Where is the washout -- near the open RR track section (called Reflection Pond on Google Maps and just west of the dam)?

One news report say the washout on RT2 is the Pea Brook bridge which lines up with the photographs of the washout (I recognize a house in the background). Pea Brook is just west of the White Birches campground and east of the golf course in Gorham. Its one of the many streams in the area that were channelized at one point to direct their flow to a distinct bridge crossing. The area draining into this Brook is not large but backs up to the Shelburne Moriah ridge.

I expect once the rain stops they can bring in couple of big box culverts to get the road back functioning. Or put a Bailey bridge over it. The only options for vehicle is to get around this is north to Errol and then south via RT 26 or south to Conway and north via RT5 back to Bethel. Either way adds a lot of mileage and time to going east west on RT 2 .
    Last edited by peakbagger; 10-30-2017 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    One news report say the washout on RT2 is the Pea Brook bridge which lines up with the photographs of the washout (I recognize a house in the background). Pea Brook is just west of the White Birches campground and east of the golf course in Gorham. Its one of the many streams in the area that were channelized at one point to direct their flow to a distinct bridge crossing. The area draining into this Brook is not large but backs up to the Shelburne Moriah ridge.

I expect once the rain stops they can bring in couple of big box culverts to get the road back functioning. Or put a Bailey bridge over it. The only options for vehicle is to get around this is north to Errol and then south via RT 26 or south to Conway and north via RT5 back to Bethel. Either way adds a lot of mileage and time to going east west on RT 2 .
    I see it. Thx. Funny something so small can create meaningful problems.