Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Storm Phillipe

'Springtime' on the Carters (Tamworth, NH)
    Quote Originally Posted by TCD View Post
    Of note, while some of this is energy from Phillipe, this is not actually Phillipe itself. Phillipe dissipated yesterday about 1000 miles away. But some of the energy went into intensifying the low we are seeing today.

From NHC:

"Much of the latent heat and deep convection associated with Philippe's remnants will likely be drawn into a larger extratropical
    low pressure that is developing near the outer banks of North Carolina, aiding in that intensification process. Although the
    developing powerful low near the Outer Banks is not directly associated with Philippe, interests along the mid-Atlantic and
    southern New England coasts should closely monitor forecast products..."
    Absolutely - I really appreciate this comment! I was debating what to title the post. I opted to go with the name since it's an easier mental landmark (as opposed to just 'the pre-Halloween storm of 2017'). It was interesting to see some of the surface maps showing the two lows, with the remnants of Phillipe fading away as the main low bombogensiszed. Mods can feel free to update the thread title.
    | 63.8% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

Quote Originally Posted by NHClimber View Post
    I see it. Thx. Funny something so small can create meaningful problems.
    Vermont went through a lot of hassle with FEMA post Irene, they had standard specifications for culvert sizing and construction that were quite out of date and were completely inadequate to handle the recent trends in climate. Vermont wanted to upgrade all the culverts replaced with a new larger size intended to deal with the current climate reality. FEMA would only pay to replace with what was there and mostly likely FEMA would pay again and again as the new undersized culverts washed out in later storms. I think it ended up in court with VT eventually putting in the larger culverts and upgrading their specs. I don't know of the age of this section of RT2 but expect its much older then more recent upgrades and expect the culvert or bridge sizing just was based on older specs that don't reflect the current climate.

There was a lot for sale immediately opposite the Rattle River AT lot, I and others felt it was a perfect opportunity to reroute the AT off RT2 and some of North road. It runs back to the Railroad track and then goes through a short strip of low value forest land before entering an out holding of Lead Mine State Forest before coming out next to the Shelburne Bridge. That lot for sale had evidence of at least two old Rattle River channels. The river has been channelized with rip rap but in at least one spot the result was that the river bounces off one riprapped wall protecting a home then blew out the opposite side of the channel. Once the river goes under the tracks it widens out and there is no distinct channel to the river.

Pemigewassett gauge here in Plymouth topped out an hour ago a couple feet below Irene levels at 19.76ft. Just across the river in Holderness is flooded at the gas stations (the usual spot.) Multiple other low lying areas along Rts. 3 and 175 are flooded here to Lincoln. Impressive flow through Livermore Falls just north!
    Last edited by TDawg; 10-30-2017 at 08:59 PM.

FYI, I havent found a good source of what NH state roads are still closed. NH 511 is useless.

Various sources indicate RT 302 in Crawford Notch is closed near the Dry River Campground for several days at minimum. They were blocking travel at the head of the notch (just south of the Highland Center) yesterday. There was also a lot of trees down and undermining of the road in numerous locations reported. US RT2 is closed in Gorham at the RT 16 south junction, there was enough rain yesterday that the state couldn't assess if the bridge (it actually appears to be a wide box culvert) could be salvaged. I expect there will be better assessment today. RT 16 is reported to have sections of shoulder and possible pavement undermined. Dolly Copp road on the RT 16 end reportedly had a significant washout on one side of the bridge (this area washed out in Irene). The Shelburne Dam over the north road in Shelburne was still reported to be in danger of failure as of this AM but expect the worst is past.

I expect with the rain stopped , assessment of the WMNF roads will start to occur today. I expect that some FS roads just may be gated until spring if there is major damage.

US RT 2 in Shelburne was reported to be open for alternating one lane travel today(Tuesday)
    Last edited by peakbagger; 10-31-2017 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post

I expect with the rain stopped , assessment of the WMNF roads will start to occur today. I expect that some FS roads just may be gated until spring if there is major damage.
    Zealand Road and Haystack Road were both gated yesterday. I don't know why. We drove Gale River Road with no issues other than some small blowdowns.
    J&J

I can only imagine some of those gated forest service rds are now washed out. Dirt roads aren't as robust as US hwys and you see what those tiny streams did to those roads. I imagine none of those are going to be open until Spring now.

A few shots from yesterday's weather up here in Twin Mountain, NH. And we are still without power.

The not so little Little River on Rt 3.

Rt 3 was closed for a spell as they made emergency repairs to shore up the eroding abutments on the Little River bridge.

The bridge at the end of Little River Rd used to access the old North Twin trail, ususally winter use only. Washed out again.

Damage to the bridge decking.

The Mt. Washington Hotel front lawn was inundated for a time. Water receded very quickly though.

The water receded but not without leaving some souvenirs behind.

More souvenirs.

You are entering Bretton Woods The Famous White Mountain Resort (if you can get by all the flooding and tree trunks!)
    J&J

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Various sources indicate RT 302 in Crawford Notch is closed near the Dry River Campground for several days at minimum.
    Thanks. Is the Bartlett area closure still in effect, too? It sounds like Harts Location is only accessible by kayak now.

Link with some pics from Whitney and I, our experience with the Peabody River, leaving for a few hours, and coming back home.

-Chris
    Last edited by dailey7779; 10-31-2017 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jniehof View Post
    Thanks. Is the Bartlett area closure still in effect, too? It sounds like Harts Location is only accessible by kayak now.
    According to the DOT about an hour ago it's still closed. They are updating their facebook page as things change.

Quote Originally Posted by dailey7779 View Post
    Link with some pics from Whitney and I, Our experience with the Peabody River, leaving for a few hours, and coming back home.

-Chris
    Wow! The pic from the LW bridge gives a really good perspective as I am sure most people here are familiar with it.

Oh yeah, I also liked the shot of the 'Strong Current - Swim At Own Risk' sign.
    Last edited by TJsName; 10-31-2017 at 02:03 PM.

I would be curious if the Lincoln Woods Trail is still passable at the washout area that they had slightly relocated a few years back. This summer the top of slope was even with the fence rail and at least one fence post had eroded and fallen down the slope. The bank is very undermined in this spot.

At least the rivers fall as fast as they rise. Even in the pics, those rivers and streams have probably subsided some. Scary to think what raging torrents those placid little streams become.

Looks like Ravine Lodge closed early: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...id=99834557157