Pedaling around the Pemi - Proposed wilderness regulations allowing bikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An avid mountain biker, I have been following and supporting this effort in its evolving form for a few years now. I hope opponents understand this does not give bikes carte blanche access to wilderness areas. Rather, it removes the blanket ban and gives local land managers and user communities discretion in which if any trails to permit bikes. This is a really big deal out west where massive areas that have been enjoyed by riders for decades are being "lost" to wilderness. It puts people like me in an uncomfortable position, in that I want to protect these places but not lose them to one of the ways I like to enjoy them. Even just recommending areas for wilderness designation bans bikes now, and this impacts millions of acres of trails out west. It forces MTB organizations to oppose wilderness rather than wholeheartedly support it. This proposed legislation would change that. We need more people fighting for protection of remaining wild spaces, not fewer.

As for NH, I really don't see an impact. Many trails are not wilderness, yet you never see bikes on them. Our mountains are just too steep and rugged. I have often pondered what it would be like to ride the abandoned rail networks in the Pemi. The gradients and surfaces have been tamed on these routes. If bikes were allowed on these routes deeper into the Pemi Wilderness, would this open the floodgates to more people in this wild space? I really doubt it. The crowds that come up from urban coastal areas are not going to bring bikes to ride 5 miles in to start their hikes. Besides, it won't "count" for lists:). I see only a handful of locals taking advantage. Personally, I have no strong desire to see bikes in the Pemi, as it will no doubt create a shit storm and for little return to the MTB community. It's not like you open up a vast new riding area of singletrack trails, like the open spaces out west that are being lost to riders. A valley traverse through the Pemi on old rail routes would maybe the only viable thing that makes sense.

Last edited:
An avid mountain biker, I have been following and supporting this effort in its evolving form for a few years now. I hope opponents understand this does not give bikes carte blanche access to wilderness areas. Rather, it removes the blanket ban and gives local land managers and user communities discretion in which if any trails to permit bikes. This is a really big deal out west where massive areas that have been enjoyed by riders for decades are being "lost" to wilderness. It puts people like me in an uncomfortable position, in that I want to protect these places but not lose them to one of the ways I like to enjoy them. Even just recommending areas for wilderness designation bans bikes now, and this impacts millions of acres of trails out west. It forces MTB organizations to oppose wilderness rather than wholeheartedly support it. This proposed legislation would change that. We need more people fighting for protection of remaining wild spaces, not fewer.

As for NH, I really don't see an impact. Many trails are not wilderness, yet you never see bikes on them. Our mountains are just too steep and rugged. I have often pondered what it would be like to ride the abandoned rail networks in the Pemi. The gradients and surfaces have been tamed on these routes. If bikes were allowed on these routes deeper into the Pemi Wilderness, would this open the floodgates to more people in this wild space? I really doubt it. The crowds that come up from urban coastal areas are not going to bring bikes to ride 5 miles in to start their hikes. Besides, it won't "count" for lists:). I see only a handful of locals taking advantage. Personally, I have no strong desire to see bikes in the Pemi, as it will no doubt create a shit storm and for little return to the MTB community. It's not like you open up a vast new riding area of singletrack trails, like the open spaces out west that are being lost to riders. A valley traverse through the Pemi on old rail routes would maybe the only viable thing that makes sense.

Good post, thanks for the info. I'm not an avid rider but do ride some. I'm not sure bikes in the Pemi is a good idea, but I do think it would be fun to ride in there. Riding to the old camp 16 , parking the bike and doing the Bonds would be cool to me. Also you could do a great lowland loop, using the Wilderness trail and coming back via the East side trail. Granted the bridge is gone, but fording the river could add to the adventure.

I have done a Boncliff trip last winter where I biked to the wilderness boundary and left the bike in the woods. Then I hiked Bondcliff and back and rode out back to Lincoln woods. It made the otherwise somewhat boring hike out more interesting.

It would be nice to expand this ride further on the already graded logging trails, cross the river and return back to lincoln woods but I do think that it WOULD bring more people in. You would be getting the singletrack crowd and winter fatbikers, especially if You rebuilt the bridges. I'm not really going to advocate for or against. I could see this as a double edged sword.

Good post, thanks for the info. I'm not an avid rider but do ride some. I'm not sure bikes in the Pemi is a good idea, but I do think it would be fun to ride in there. Riding to the old camp 16 , parking the bike and doing the Bonds would be cool to me. Also you could do a great lowland loop, using the Wilderness trail and coming back via the East side trail. Granted the bridge is gone, but fording the river could add to the adventure.

I used to ride my MB in the Pemi Wilderness in the early 80s, and loved it. Also rode in the Wild River Wilderness often as far is as The shelter at "No Ketchum" pond. Always intended to ride the old firewardens road up to Speckled summit in Evans Notch, but it became wilderness before I had the opportunity. Still have the bike, but no longer ride. I don't think that hikers and bikers are compatible due to the quiet approach of bikers at most times. When I have hiked the Camino de Santiago, I observed many instances of very close calls between bikes an walkers. I found it to be a PITA to have to keep an ear cocked for the crunch sound of an approaching bike. You definitely didn't walk in the middle of the trail in the Camino. 500 miles of constant alertness and no daydreaming sucks. I guess I vote no.

The same problem exists on urban bike paths, and having been both the cyclist and the pedestrian on more than one occasion, there really is no other way to coexist than to pay attention to the surroundings.

Tim

I think it's great that this is being talked about. Using "wilderness" vs. "other classifications" to decide on bikes vs. no bikes has always been ignorant. Many trails in "wilderness" are well suited for bikes. Many trails in other classifications (such as "wild forest" here in the Adirondacks) are NOT suited for bikes. Just using the land classification to make the decision is lazy and dumb. All for clearer thinking on this!

Question: Doesn't the Lincoln Woods trail still have RR ties in it? Wouldn't this make the ride kind of a jarring annoyance? I could see this being the tipping factor if I were a biker.

Lincoln Woods trail was and still may be legally ride-able all the way into Lincoln Brook where the Wilderness boundary is. It was very ride-able when the foot traffic was low. The ties are in place in spots, but can be ridden around in most places. My last ride in there was at least ten years ago. I still have my 1991 dual suspension Cannondale EST which ate the bumps and ties very well. Dual, because a MAG 21 front fork was an add on. I used to make a loop by riding up the East side road to the old stepping stones which were annually placed across the Pemi by the FS to the Lincoln Brook confluence. Shoulder the bike and walk - hop across the Pemi, and ride back down the Lincoln Woods trail back to the beginning. This was of course in late summer when the river was at its lowest. Before the wilderness was established, my loop ride would go all the way to the old suspension bridge, now sadly gone. This was before I had my Cannondale and used to ride this on a non-suspension MTB in the early 80s.

Last edited:
Fat bikes in winter are all the rage now and the LW trail quickly loses the ties once the snow pack arrives. I’ve seen a few fat bike tracks on it over the past few years but fat bikes are becoming more and more mainstream.

I still don’t own one because it would take away time from snowshoeing and XC skiing. And, I am a die hard roadie.

Tim

Same here, die hard roadie. Was never a racer - I was a 21 mph guy at best on long rides. Now I'm old, and I'm an 18 mph guy.

But I love to see bikes used. And I hate to see people try to decide FOR riders what will be good or bad for them. Let the users decide.