Should be obvious - Snowshoes not optional

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
There is about 2 feet of snow on the ground at 1400 feet in the northern presidentials. The freezing rain event packed down the prior snow but really didnt form a really significant crust under the the subsequent 10 to 12 inches that fell since then. Its going to make for some significant trail breaking effort for folks getting out today.

I expect there will be plenty of folks driving up that elect to posthole but unlike previous winters, its time to dust off the snowshoes and check for any needed repairs prior to heading into the woods. Given the forecast for much colder temps and high winds for much of this holiday week, I expect some folks will be getting in over their heads.

There is about 2 feet of snow on the ground at 1400 feet in the northern presidentials... I expect some folks will be getting in over their heads.

Interestingly, I feel as though I rarely see families out snowshoeing. I wonder if deep snow is a concern for smaller people, or if it's just too hard to keep a kid warm.

Last edited:
We wouldn’t want any dead kittens before the New Year.

I saw several families on 12/24 going to Lonesome Lake.

We have the best vacation week ski conditions in years but the cold will likely keep a good number of people away.

Tim