$10 Parking At Cog Station

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I maintained the Ammo Ravine Trail for 7 years.

For free.

I notice only one post that even comes close to a gripe about the fee so let's not get our shorts in a twist about this.

As for trail maintenance, thank you to the many people who volunteer to do it all over the place. That service is often under appreciated until it isn't there. But it has nothing to do with a parking fee or peripheral issues. People volunteer for all sorts of things with little or no fanfare on matters of little or no personal benefit to themselves and that is not relevant to a parking fee either.

I see lots of references to people descending via the Cog on Facebook posts. Seems to have become quite popular as a short cut back to the parking area.

I knew there was a reason I wasn't on FB. Makes sense, it's well defined, clearly cut and easy to follow, no real map skills required. In summer and while the train is running it's an ugly footpath. In the Winter you would spend a lot of time exposed to the wind and the cut is wide enough that even when below tree line, you would not have much cover. I suppose you could walk just inside the trees with the cog cut very close by. I suspect the grade would be pretty tedious too.

So has anyone actually been there recently and been asked to pay? I did Monroe via Ammo in late Dec and don't recall seeing anyone, signs for it, etc. Plenty of cars at upper and hiking lot that day. I didn't arrive until about 11:30 AM though. Maybe they just hit the "peak" morning hours when most people are heading out.

I wonder if an effort to collect the $10 will stimulate more activity on the old tradional routes to Jefferson like Lowes Path/Randolph Path/Gulfside. I think Isreal Ridge to Edmands Col would also be a very interesting route but it sounds like that never happens. When/if I do Jefferson for my Winter list I'd like to do via the old standard route through Edmands Col but that is a lot of trailbreaking for a solo hiker like myself. Hopefully these routes will see more foot traffic.

These days, all the routes to Jefferson get steady traffic as long as the weather is not abysmal like it has been since Christmas. Be patient and hope for the fairly reliable couple of good weekends in row in late February and early march and the routes should be well broken out.

I notice only one post that even comes close to a gripe about the fee so let's not get our shorts in a twist about this.

As for trail maintenance, thank you to the many people who volunteer to do it all over the place. That service is often under appreciated until it isn't there. But it has nothing to do with a parking fee or peripheral issues. People volunteer for all sorts of things with little or no fanfare on matters of little or no personal benefit to themselves and that is not relevant to a parking fee either.

I'm making a point to counter things in posts #8 and #17.

1. Sometimes you do get something for nothing and sometimes things are completely free. (Post 8). Whether it's time, money, or property, there are people who are willing to share things freely with others.

2. The majority of volunteers I know do outstanding work because the work they do is close to their heart. (Post 17). And if we tire of the work, we can quit anytime.

I'm making a point to counter things in posts #8 and #17.

1. Sometimes you do get something for nothing and sometimes things are completely free. (Post 8). Whether it's time, money, or property, there are people who are willing to share things freely with others.

2. The majority of volunteers I know do outstanding work because the work they do is close to their heart. (Post 17). And if we tire of the work, we can quit anytime.

I mean that all goes without saying.. But volunteer work and reliable results is what it is.. that's what I'm saying. Volunteer work and plowed parking areas will not be funny.. Ask the NFS or State Park you want to have volunteers start plowing the lot's ..and see what they say..

Pay to park at a popular trailhead is not unknown elsewhere in the whites, Lowe's Store has been doing it for as long as I have lived here and there really is no legal alternative except add in several miles to a trip and park at Appalachia. Bowman has not been plowed for couple of years since the homeowner is no longer year round. The store at the Piper trail on Chocurua did it for many years until the FS built a lot and coincidentally the store closed down the next summer. The FS did it wholesale when they put in the new parking permit system. Unfortunately the revenue got diverted to other budget issues so the expenses quickly exceeded the portion of the revenue allocated to keep the system running. The result was the FS has ramped down the parking fees to only high volume lots that generate high receipts for minimal upkeep. I have no doubt that the "solution" for the Lafayette place parking issues will end up with a revenue side, either charge a fee for a shuttle or charge a fee to park.

These days, all the routes to Jefferson get steady traffic as long as the weather is not abysmal like it has been since Christmas. Be patient and hope for the fairly reliable couple of good weekends in row in late February and early march and the routes should be well broken out.

Excellent. I had wondered if all the increased hiking pressure the past few years has made other routes an option. Figured I couldn't be the only one looking for an alternate route.

Bowman has not been plowed for couple of years since the homeowner is no longer year round.

I didn't realize that. Good to know. Puts a dent in my Jefferson "dream hike" plans from Castle or Isreal Ridge. I really hate the lower half of the Lowes Path and it is such a buzzkill for me to take routes that start there. :(

Of course the fact remains there is a USFS lot at the start of the Ammo and Jewell trails that is paid for use by yearly parking permits. To pay another entity in addition to already paying for the lot and associated services with an annual parking pass begs a few questions. The first of which is why am I paying for an annual parking pass that works semi-annually? I think if the cog is charging for parking within earshot of a USFS lot, it falls on the USFS to solve this and keep the lot open. This is a popular winter route.

Not every experience trailhead/access points are going to be the same. I consider it to be lucky and a privelage to be able to pay $10 to have access to the Cog parking lot. Back before the road was plowed climbing Washington from this side of the Mountain not to mention bail out points from the ridge were a whole other animal. The NFS parking fee to begin with is peanuts. Just compare it to the new NPS fees. I miss the days when you were on your own and just didn’t have to get up on the Internet to find out what is plowed and broken out. It’s $10 bucks. Bring a buddy along and it’s going to cost $5 bucks.:rolleyes:

The FS didnt even plow the Crawford Parking lot just off the entrance to the Mt Clinton road for a couple of years. I expect AMC had some influence on getting it plowed as hikers tend to park in their guest lot and block out paying guests. I do notice that a few years ago they also started plowing the smaller lot over near the railroad station to get hikers to park there instead of at the main lot. I just dont see anyone with clout that is going to convince the FS to pay a contractor to remove snow from the Ammo lot. I believe Great Gulf is serviced from the Androscoggin Ranger station just down the road on RT 16 which does have snow plows to handle their lot. I don't think the FS has any similar facilities nearby the cog and thus expect they would need to contract it. Given the distance from anywhere and the speed of front end loader that is probably a thousand bucks a plow which can really add up at the base of Mt Washington. Of course the cog could underbid anyone if they have a loader as they are right down the road. They probably would make more money plowing than collecting fees.

I have no problem paying a $10 parking fee.

I do have a problem giving money to the particular person who wants to build a hotel in the alpine zone on Mt. Washington.

I’ve been winter hiking long enough that I remember when the Cog Road was not plowed. Folks did Washington and Monroe from Lion Head, and Jefferson from Rt. 2. I will be utilizing those routes in winter from now on.

Of course the fact remains there is a USFS lot at the start of the Ammo and Jewell trails that is paid for use by yearly parking permits. To pay another entity in addition to already paying for the lot and associated services with an annual parking pass begs a few questions. The first of which is why am I paying for an annual parking pass that works semi-annually? I think if the cog is charging for parking within earshot of a USFS lot, it falls on the USFS to solve this and keep the lot open. This is a popular winter route.

When this came up before, the FS said that the lot wasn't built to withstand plowing operations. No clue to the truth in that, I'm no engineer.

I have no problem paying a $10 parking fee.

I do have a problem giving money to the particular person who wants to build a hotel in the alpine zone on Mt. Washington.

I’ve been winter hiking long enough that I remember when the Cog Road was not plowed. Folks did Washington and Monroe from Lion Head, and Jefferson from Rt. 2. I will be utilizing those routes in winter from now on.

I think this is the right approach. Similar to the other thread about the Haystack Rd.; the FS doesn't owe anybody facilities to park as close to the summit as possible.

FYI, Ammo parking lot is now open and plowed. Whitney is over there this morning heading up above treeline and parked in the Ammo Lot. She also said Lower Cog lot is posted private property, it is $10 to park in upper Cog lot.

-Chris

Last edited:
I appreciate that the FS went to the trouble of plowing the lot. I expect the economics of paid parking at the cog have decreased.

I appreciate that the FS went to the trouble of plowing the lot. I expect the economics of paid parking at the cog have decreased.

Ha, not for me. I'll front the Cog ten bucks to save a 2 mile winter schlep anytime!

cb