Resue on Mt. Washington

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTskier

Reaction score
Luckily this all ends well, but I don't understand the "left the snowshoes in the car". Would that not be a critical piece of equipment at this time of year heading into the mtns? If somehow she forgot them, at some point heading up you must realize you don't have them and then that changes your parameters of the hike and the point when you would turn back vs pressing ahead. Luckily had the beacon & from the description was well equipped.

http://www.wcax.com/content/news/Re...-lost-Mount-Washington-climber-468783893.html

That area of Ammo from the high river crossing to the hut always makes me uneasy in Winter, even on a nice day. In deep snow and/or poor visibility that area seems like it has potential for great danger but many seem to downplay it as no big deal. The trail always seems to get heavily braided with numerous routes, it tends to drift pretty bad, spruce traps are a real factor. and areas undermined by flowing water on certain days. Of all the places I have Winter hiked in NH I find this to be one of the trickier spots and I always give it respect when I am out, especially being alone.

Good story as well. She is probably more "typical" of a Winter hiker than most rescues and represents many of us here, being generally well equipped and experienced, but still when conditions were right it forced her into some bad decisions. Cautionary tale with a happy ending fortunately.

Conway Daily Sun: “She also had purchased a state HikeSafe card that exempts people from liability to repay rescue costs as long as they are found not to have acted negligently“. Not true.

http://hikesafe.com/index.php?page=the-nh-hike-safe-card

Probably a good thing for her. Not having Snowshoes IMO would make a pretty good case for negligence.

Last edited:
Conway Daily Sun: “She also had purchased a state HikeSafe card that exempts people from liability to repay rescue costs as long as they are found not to have acted negligently“. Not true.

http://hikesafe.com/index.php?page=the-nh-hike-safe-card

Probably a good thing for her. Not having Snowshoes IMO would make a pretty good case for negligence.

I don't know that it would matter here. The article references that the rescuers, even in snowshoes, were sinking in up to their necks when they pushed into the woods to get her from her final location so if she had snowshoes would that have changed the outcome? I think the root cause here was losing the trail/navigational error. She was very experienced, had various items with her to make fire, notify someone, stay warm, etc. Of all the rescues we've read about over the years this wouldn't be the hill I would die on defending as negligent.

I don't know that it would matter here. The article references that the rescuers, even in snowshoes, were sinking in up to their necks when they pushed into the woods to get her from her final location so if she had snowshoes would that have changed the outcome? I think the root cause here was losing the trail/navigational error. She was very experienced, had various items with her to make fire, notify someone, stay warm, etc. Of all the rescues we've read about over the years this wouldn't be the hill I would die on defending as negligent.
Your certainly entitled to your opinion but I disagree. If she had snowshoes even sinking the likelihood would be that she would have conserved more energy then possibly making it out on her own. She was less than two miles from getting out. Besides if she was that experienced she should know better. If anything proving negligence would be easy if it isn’t borderline reckless. Sorry but it is the largest Mountain in the Northeast and it is Winter. Bring your Snowshoes.You can also see here that the parameters of what to bring in Winter on the Hike Safe Card list of things to bring in Winter include Snowshoes. http://hikesafe.com/index.php?page=full-gear-list

Last edited:
I have been known to climb Washington in the winter up Ammo without snowshoes. If I do so I look at the weather report before I go and pick a good day. It appears the person being rescued got caught by an unexpected change in weather. I doubt that it went from calm to windy in short period of time so perhaps it was failure to turn around when the weather started degrading.

I personally have had issues in the past heading down from LOC and trying to pick up the trail. If its boilerplate conditions there really is no trail in patch snowfields and its not cairned that well for winter use.

I have looked at a trail and decided to leave my snowshoes behind. It's done by many. The girl had good gear and good experience. She lost the trail in an area that it's not hard to do and the terrain is really technical if your off route. Would snowshoes have helped? probably, but based on what I've read, I'm not willing to throw stones at her on this one. Shit happens, its to easy to sit at home and pronounce negligence in some cases, this is one of them, imo.

Your certainly entitled to your opinion but I disagree. If she had snowshoes even sinking the likelihood would be that she would have conserved more energy then possibly making it out on her own. She was less than two miles from getting out. Besides if she was that experienced she should know better. If anything proving negligence would be easy if it isn’t borderline reckless. Sorry but it is the largest Mountain in the Northeast and it is Winter. Bring your Snowshoes.You can also see here that the parameters of what to bring in Winter on the Hike Safe Card list of things to bring in Winter include Snowshoes. http://hikesafe.com/index.php?page=full-gear-list

I'm not saying leaving the snow shoes behind was a bad decision, particularly for this area. I'm just saying I don't think that had much to do with why she got into trouble. If she did everything she had done the same except had snow shoes it seems like the outcome would have been the same. If rescuers were sinking in up to their necks and it took them 30 minutes to go the short distance to meet her I highy doubt she would have successfully plowed through a mile or more of terrain without issue just because she was wearing snow shoes.

Not having a paper map and compass (assuming this - article only mentions she had a phone app and her phone died) is a more glaring issue of negligence for me. While still above treeline I would hope she could have got herself to the AMC LOC Hut easily enough, at which point she could have at least started down the trail in the right spot and increased her chances of finding a line down into relative safety and possibly stumble across another hiker(s). It sounds like she got scared and knowing she had to get out of that weather she made a hasty navigational decision. Snowshoes don't really factor into this much at all for me. I'd rather be postholing up to my armpits going down the correct line than wandering off into oblivion on my snowshoes.

Love this fact..from the article... stupid is as stupid does... should of had a dedicated GPS with Glonass ...never failed me in sub zero temps...running all day. Tucked in the chest to stay warm with external antenna...keeping me going..

(quote)...But in addition to her locator beacon, Baker had a tracking program on her phone, and could have followed her route back with “bread crumbing,” following the GPS points laid down by her program, Saunders said. Unfortunately, the battery on her phone failed. (unquote)

She's posting on FB today. She did have some emergency gear with her. She spent over 9 hours in her bivi sack waiting for the SAR team.

She's posting on FB today. She did have some emergency gear with her. She spent over 9 hours in her bivi sack waiting for the SAR team.
I read that account too - she said that she had "spot gadget." I also gather from her story that the rescuers went to the first location where she activated Spot, and subsequently followed her tracks. I wonder if Kate's story had any bearing on which location rescuers decided to pick first as it appears that more were available.

I read that account too - she said that she had "spot gadget." I also gather from her story that the rescuers went to the first location where she activated Spot, and subsequently followed her tracks. I wonder if Kate's story had any bearing on which location rescuers decided to pick first as it appears that more were available.
She also lost her compass which was strapped to the outside of her pack.

Some additional details in Conway Daily Sun: https://www.conwaydailysun.com/news...cle_1f4a36a8-f7c7-11e7-957b-1fb6062fe3b6.html

Here is a quote from this article:

One officer said he was up to his neck in snow — with his snowshoes on.

“They said it was strange. They could see her but not quite get to her. It took 30 minutes to get to her, swimming through the snow and brush,” Saunders said. “The guys were pretty beat when they came out.”

Love this fact..from the article... stupid is as stupid does... should of had a dedicated GPS with Glonass ...never failed me in sub zero temps...running all day. Tucked in the chest to stay warm with external antenna...keeping me going..

(quote)...But in addition to her locator beacon, Baker had a tracking program on her phone, and could have followed her route back with “bread crumbing,” following the GPS points laid down by her program, Saunders said. Unfortunately, the battery on her phone failed. (unquote)

Hey,

Here's a blast from the past--- Does anyone ever use wands anymore???

Decidedly low-tech but they don't use batts and are easy to see. And, if left in place they can help others with similar problems.

In areas where winter route finding is often a challenge, a few wands to mark the descent into the trees might be cool.

This same accident scenario occurs on Crawford Path's exit into trees near Mt Pierce. I know firsthand!

Here's a pic of the ridge the evening of the rescue. Was a super sunset.

ammo.jpg

cb

Last edited:
I've had the experience of heading down from LOC with the trail obliterated and found I had a tendency to go to the left of the trail which tends to go to the right. When I realized what I had done I went straight to my right and eventually found the trail. I really think that a dedicated GPS that uses replaceable double A batteries is to be preferred to a phone. I also carry a backup GPS and a PLB in my pack. If you're going to use a phone for a GPS a backup battery pack is a must. I saw her post on Facebook. It's obvious she is a very competent hiker.

I really think that a dedicated GPS that uses replaceable double A batteries is to be preferred to a phone.
I agree.

I keep a dedicated GPS (with user replaceable batteries) running to record a track and, if necessary, for navigation. My phone is turned off to conserve the batteries and is generally only used in emergencies. I make sure all batteries are fully charged before starting out. (The AA batteries in the GPS are generally rechargeable with non-rechargeable lithium backups.)

Also, a high-quality dedicated GPS sometimes works better than a phone GPS, particularly in less than perfect conditions such as under tree cover or with terrain blockage.

Doug