Found a Weather Forecasting Site for Mountains Around The Globe, Including the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The site is https://www.mountain-forecast.com/

I can't possibly imagine where they get their data or models from, but you can find a high altitude and low altitude forecast including temperature and wind speed for many peaks in the Whites, the Northeast, the USA, and so on and so forth....

On Friday there were a bunch of browser errors...but it is stable again.

I used this site for awhile a few years ago. I liked the format of it but found it was not as accurate as others, particularly wind speed (although that seems to be off on most sites). I use weather.gov now and find it to be very accurate, but generally with overstated wind speeds (which I don't mind because it gives me a worst case scenario forecast). They also have a clickable map so you can dial in on the exact area you will be and then print a graph for the day on one sheet of paper with just about every parameter you could want. That is usually what I do so I can see what time of day winds might shift and bring in clouds, rain, etc. Then when you are out on the trail you can get an idea of whether a front is early or late based on winds, etc. and adjust plans accordingly. Little more work then mountain-forecast but more accurate and usable info. For a quick and dirty look at the weather mountain-forecast is nice though.

Weather.gov, Photographers Emphemeris and CalTopo are my "big three" for trip planning.

The site is https://www.mountain-forecast.com/

I can't possibly imagine where they get their data or models from, but you can find a high altitude and low altitude forecast including temperature and wind speed for many peaks in the Whites, the Northeast, the USA, and so on and so forth....
On Friday there were a bunch of browser errors...but it is stable again.

I use this site most of the time for a few days before my planned hike. I feel it’s pretty reliable.

I find it to be overly optimistic. NOAA on the other hand tends to pessimistic, so the actual forecast is often between the two, which is also helpful.

Tim

Agreed, although I've found NOAA to be more accurate in general.

As for where all these sites (Mountain Forecase, AccuWeather, Weather Underground, etc.) get their forecast data, unless they've launched they own weather satellites it probably all comes from the National Weather Service, though I'm not certain.

By pessimistic, I mean that if the max wind for the day is 50, and it is at 3am, the day will say "Winds to 50". If there is a 60% chance of showers for one hour at 9PM, the day will say "60% chance of rain". You have to read the details/hourly and look at trends to really understand what's going to happen. As mentioned already, if you can suffer through that 60% chance of rain and winds to 50 mph, you will, more often than not, be pleasantly surprised. Like when you get to the restaurant and they tell you "1 hour wait" and you are happy when it turns out to be only 45 minutes ;)

Tim

By pessimistic, I mean that if the max wind for the day is 50, and it is at 3am, the day will say "Winds to 50". If there is a 60% chance of showers for one hour at 9PM, the day will say "60% chance of rain". You have to read the details/hourly and look at trends to really understand what's going to happen.

It's really worth scrolling down and clicking on the link for the "Hourly Weather Forecast" chart on the weather.gov page for a particular location. Here's Moosilauke for example. I've found this to be accurate and easier to read than the Mountain Forecast page.

Part of what makes the NOAA Point forecast really good is the forecast is for a very small area, about 1/2 by 1/2 mile square. I took the point forecast hourly data and made my own 7-day forecast graph. This graph will work for any peak, place, or address in the US.

Example: MT MOOSILAUKE NH

I rarely used this site in New England. I live in Colorado now and reference it lot more. I think its more useful here because there are 7000' elevation changes between the valley and summits commonly. For instance Salida CO is about 7000' with 14,000 peaks nearby. When you get into more remote states like Montana or Idaho sometimes it's hard to find a peak nearby on Mountain-Forecast.
'