Advice for Zion/Bryce/Arches/Moab Quick Trip

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A recent post from Zion NP on Facebook was talking about 1 hour waits from buses in Springdale, so plan to get out early every day. Try for first bus to avoid longer waits. We're staying in the park so we will get a jump on the crowds.

Thanks Dave. Planning on the first shuttle daily for that reason. Definite early birds here. We may see you sometime there. Hiking the first half of the week following next. I'll check that FB page.

We just returned from a trip to Northern Arizona. Evidently, the first week in April is the end of the "busy season" caused by spring break. Crowds at the Grand Canyon and in Sedona were pretty intense; we were told that there is a significant reduction in crowding for the rest of April into early May. What we saw was the end of Spring Break for many elementary & high school students in the western part of the US. There should be a corresponding reduction in crowds at Zion in Mid April.
Enjoy your trip. A hike to Phantom Ranch and a few days around Sedona and we are now hooked on the area ourselves. Looking forward to a future of bucket list hiking in the Colorado Plateau

We are planning a hike along the way back near St. George OR heading back into Zion in the morning to do any of the small hikes we did not yet get to yet. Then we'll go to Valley of Fire SP before heading to the airport late in LV.

1. How long should I plan for Valley of Fire State Park if I want to see it all and not just run by each site. Is this an all day thing. I have a map now and am checking it out?

2. Related. What options would be some great choices for a couple hours hike we could do near St. George after leaving Springdale on the way to the LV airport? This would be before we do Valley of Fire SP if that's not an all day affair. Snow Canyon SP? Yant Flat? Red Mountain Trail? Do any of these make sense logistically and what's not to miss? All of it, I know. :) This is only if we have done most of what we wanted in Zion and are leaving Springdale early morning on day 3.

We had a late flight out of Las Vegas and opted to spend most of the day in St. George. (Had thought about swimming at Sand Hollow and/or Quail Creek in between Hurricane and St. George, but the heat and complete absence of any shade changed our minds.)

Spent some time driving around St. George and walking around Town Square in the downtown "Historic District." Right above the Chamber of Commerce was a road to Pioneer Park (https://www.sgcity.org/parkstrailsandcemetery/cityparks/pioneerpark) which was a fantastic spot with long and short trails overlooking the city. Lots of options for quick hikes or more. Not very demanding. Hardest part was finding the entrance to the parking lot.

We thought about Snow Canyon but it was just too much time.

I strongly suggest that once you are on East Rim Trail you hike another 100-200 yards (can't remember exactly but it's a short distance) past the point Observation Trail turns left. You will be rewarded with what I considered my favorite passage on East Rim Trail - https://photos.app.goo.gl/IfiV7dNpURH316MB3
Possible correction here - I just looked at satellite images and this passage may actually be before the trail to Observation Point turns left. If so, you won't miss it on your way up.

Possible correction here - I just looked at satellite images and this passage may actually be before the trail to Observation Point turns left. If so, you won't miss it on your way up.

Thanks! I'll note this and keep an eye out!

Yes -- by all means, if you have the time to do this, you should -- and it doesn't require much time, either. The Hidden Canyon is considered a hanging slot, and there's even a small arch there, too. We've done this short side hike a number of times, and it never gets old.

Agreed -- West Rim Trail will be pretty much all yours past Angels Landing. We've never found the West Rim Trail to be anything but easy walking, especially if you're used to trails in the Whites. Another thing to note is that the West Rim Trail forms part of the Trans-Zion Trek, or Zion Traverse. We've done most of this in sections, and if you ever have the chance, explore this. More information is here.

ALSO...if you ever have a chance to visit this park in the winter, when no shuttle is running and you can pretty much come and go as you please, do so. It's a nice, relatively quiet time.

P.S. -- are you intentionally avoiding doing Angels Landing? Just curious; if you can beat any crowds on this route, it's worth doing at least once. If you get there too late in the day, the number of people trying this can make things...a bit interesting. I got behind one person years back who had fear of heights and literally froze in place, blocking the route. Not fun.

Great advice. Thanks.

West Rim Trail, 18 miles top down hike is now day 2 plan. My sister is curious about exposure on this route. It doesn't sound bad, but yes, I've been told we are not doing AL at least not together. I'll be back to do another trip. Any concerns on West Rim 18 mile one way route? Microspikes in pack for this one? Clue on driving/shuttle logistics to do this one way if anyone knows?

Thanks. Really appreciate all the detailed advice.

PS we will be on the first shuttle both days.

We had a late flight out of Las Vegas and opted to spend most of the day in St. George. (Had thought about swimming at Sand Hollow and/or Quail Creek in between Hurricane and St. George, but the heat and complete absence of any shade changed our minds.)

Spent some time driving around St. George and walking around Town Square in the downtown "Historic District." Right above the Chamber of Commerce was a road to Pioneer Park (https://www.sgcity.org/parkstrailsandcemetery/cityparks/pioneerpark) which was a fantastic spot with long and short trails overlooking the city. Lots of options for quick hikes or more. Not very demanding. Hardest part was finding the entrance to the parking lot.

We thought about Snow Canyon but it was just too much time.

Thanks. After looking at Valley of Fire SP, I think we'll spend a fair amount of time there but may look into some short options on the last day. Appreciate it.

Thanks. After looking at Valley of Fire SP, I think we'll spend a fair amount of time there but may look into some short options on the last day. Appreciate it.

We're hitting VoF SP on our way out from Vegas on day 1.

Great advice. Thanks.

West Rim Trail, 18 miles top down hike is now day 2 plan. My sister is curious about exposure on this route. It doesn't sound bad, but yes, I've been told we are not doing AL at least not together. I'll be back to do another trip. Any concerns on West Rim 18 mile one way route? Microspikes in pack for this one? Clue on driving/shuttle logistics to do this one way if anyone knows?

Thanks. Really appreciate all the detailed advice.

PS we will be on the first shuttle both days.

I did Trans-Zion Trek two years ago, also in April. I brought microspikes but never had to use them - we saw some small patches of snow but never in the way. I remember West Rim Trail as being easy and I don't remember any place with any non-trivial exposure apart from the "wall section" that I mentioned earlier.

We had two rental cars, so never needed a ride but I looked for hiker shuttle services and I came across this page: https://www.zionadventures.com/zion-western-trailheads.html but I never used their service. I don't think Park Service shuttle runs to Lava Point trailhead.

Trip is set:

Another thanks for all the great advice. I've taken notes on viewpoints and places to visit and am using the advice here heavily. I think we have a great plan for the time we are there.

Dave - we'll be in V of F on the 18th and may see you there. We arrive too late to visit on our trip out. I think we'll be headed back as you arrive.

Krystof - thanks for the detailed pictures and shuttle info - we may be using them for the one way hike of the West Rim. Your spot on the East Rim Trail looks fabulous - we will look for it.

BC - appreciate all the help!

Thanks all!

Final Plan:

1)Observation Point and Weeping Rock as well as any other short park hikes we are up for.
2)West Rim Trail one way
3)Valley of Fire State Park (possible adding some short stops along the route back from Zion)

I've done "Arches Bryce Zion 2 times.. best hikes in Zion..Observation Point.. easy really and what a view.. best in Bryce.. Fairyland loop.. laid back and quite the view.. hiking into the Hoodoos is okay..busy thou. Arches ..my favorite is Delicate Arch hands down. Got early to all of these places.. busy as heck.. especially Delicate Arch..limited parking.. I'm there at sunrise.. Canyon Lands is real close to Arches and should be done while your there you can go and do a couple of the short hikes to the edge of the Canyon on your left heading it.. amazing..looking over to the Green River.

Last September we did Glacier down to the North Rim.. 9 Nat Parks... some state parks.. Hobblins State Park is awesome in Utah.. total 7900 miles RT from NH.

This year .... Rocky Mt Nat Park...down to Sand Dunes.. Bryce for the Peakaboo trail..which is nice.. Zion for Observation again..maybe the River walk.. South Rim Grand Canyon...and what ever inbetween that's appealing.

Last edited:
Trip is set:

Another thanks for all the great advice. I've taken notes on viewpoints and places to visit and am using the advice here heavily. I think we have a great plan for the time we are there.

Dave - we'll be in V of F on the 18th and may see you there. We arrive too late to visit on our trip out. I think we'll be headed back as you arrive.

Krystof - thanks for the detailed pictures and shuttle info - we may be using them for the one way hike of the West Rim. Your spot on the East Rim Trail looks fabulous - we will look for it.

BC - appreciate all the help!

Thanks all!

Final Plan:

1)Observation Point and Weeping Rock as well as any other short park hikes we are up for.
2)West Rim Trail one way
3)Valley of Fire State Park (possible adding some short stops along the route back from Zion)

Sounds like you have a good plan! On our last trip to that area we visited Zion and Valley of Fire. Depending on your time heading back, you can also add on Snow Canyon State Park. Small park, but some cool spots there. I have trip report and pics posted: Zion, Snow Canyon, Valley of Fire

I wanted to thank everyone for the advice. The trip was fabulous and we certainly made the most out of the three days. Observation Point was spectacular and the hike out of the canyon gave us a great perspective. On day two we decided to stay in the canyon bottom. We hiked the river trail into the start of the narrows and spent the day walking the canyon and doing all the short hikes along the way. Day three was everything we could do at Valley of Fire. The combo of hiking to the rim, hiking along the whole canyon floor, and VoF was a perfect three days for our first trip.

I understand now.

Dave - I kept an eye out for you Wednesday at VoF.

Massive country out there, yes?

We've been heading to central and southern Utah on a regular basis for the past decade (often for 2-3 weeks at at time), and feel that we have just gotten our bearings and scratched the surface of what is possible to do.

My favorite book by my favorite author begins with, "this is the most beautiful place on Earth." Ed Abbey. Desert Solitaire. Written about his time in Arches specifically but the SW in general. I'll be back. It won't be long.

We just got back, excellent trip as well. Valley of Fire on day 1 - Mouse's Tanks, Fire Wave, White Domes. Then to Escalante where we hiked Peekaboo and Spooky Canyons, Devil's Garden, Zebra Canyon, Lower Calf Creek Falls, and spent a leisurely day in Kodachrome Basin State Park. One day in Bryce hiking the Fairyland Loop and a few short viewpoints. In Zion we hiked Angel's Landing at dawn (no one else on the chains) and up to the West Rim, and our last day after the rain stopped we went up to Observation Point. A full week of hiking, topped off by a fun afternoon in Vegas before our redeye home.