Freedom's Just Another Word

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I liked the title, Keep Our Mountains Free and Dangerous. He initially agrees that the new regulations can simply be viewed as common sense but then goes on to question whether government or society can regulate or legislate risk out of inherently risky or dangerous pursuits. I'm all for safety but I wonder if its possible to do this, even if one agrees with the idea in principle. Can you foresee a day when so-called trail stewards become "trail permitters" and reject some hikers as unprepared or unqualified? Probably not likely in the White Mts anytime soon, but how dangerous does a climb need to be in order to make this a legitimate question?

Can you foresee a day when so-called trail stewards become "trail permitters" and reject some hikers as unprepared or unqualified? Probably not likely in the White Mts anytime soon, but how dangerous does a climb need to be in order to make this a legitimate question?

Not so long ago Baxter Park did exactly that for winter users. A meeting with a ranger, a gear check, an itinerary review and an "OK to proceed" were simply part of the drill for gaining winter access.

The question inevitably comes round to rescue. i.e: is it reasonable to expect others to risk their well being to help their irresponsible fellows?

I guess as long as we have a rescue expectation, we need to act responsibly to mitigate risk.

An Aside:

I did the Gouter route mentioned in the article a very long time ago. And I was glad to have a ax, harness and rope. While not "technical," the upper section ran a very narrow snow ridge where a fall would be fatal. Who knows what it’s like now, but in the mid-70s it provided quite an OMG moment.

In "modern times" Chamonix has become ground zero for death sports like wing suit flying, extreme solo climbing, death defying ski descents and para sailing. Maybe the authorities are just getting tired of the carnage.

Last edited:
Can you foresee a day when so-called trail stewards become "trail permitters" and reject some hikers as unprepared or unqualified?

Does Baxter SP do this already? I know they close the trails to everyone on certain days and that they didn't allow solo winter trips until fairly recently.

Do the Rangers at Baxter SP selectively prohibit hikers at the trail heads based on their evaluation of the hiker's preparedness?

Does Baxter SP do this already? I know they close the trails to everyone on certain days and that they didn't allow solo winter trips until fairly recently.

Do the Rangers at Baxter SP selectively prohibit hikers at the trail heads based on their evaluation of the hiker's preparedness?

I've only been to Baxter twice (past 2 Summer seasons) and there wasn't a ranger in the "sign in" cabin at least half of the times I went out to hike, let alone someone poking through my gear and asking what I was planning. Now that I think about it I don't believe I even saw a ranger out on the trail at any point. The first time I went a guy met me at my campsite to check that I had that particular site reserved, review proper food handling, etc. I didn't find it intrusive at all. The interactions I had with everyone, even at the gate, were all very friendly and not at all "restrictive". Hopefully it will stay that way.

20 yrs ago I remember Rangers or at least park employees, stationed at the peak end of the knife edge trail, acting as gate keepers to the trail. Seemed like they were making their decision on who will be permitted to use the trail based on what you had on your feet. No flip flops or penny loafers and yes some people were wearing said footwear.