Winter (slack pack?) up wildcat

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1SlowHiker

Reaction score
Hi all, it’s been a while since I posted. Didn’t hike or walk much this summer after cracking three ribs when I dumped my bike. Planned on hitting some winter peaks in December but I hurt my knees falling out of a tree putting up lights. Ready to give it a try now – probably Saturday. Figured I could slack pack Wildcat D up and down polecat and not get in much trouble if the knees can’t handle it. Couple of questions though; I know there is a $10 fee for hiking, but what do I do if I get there too early (just tell anyone that asks that I’d pay on way down?) Will I have any problems with snow making if I start too early? Think I recall going up a VT slope with machines going and was able to work around them. Lastly I have this crazy idea of bringing my winter skis and boots up and skiing down. My idea is to join the two skis with cross braces (1x3s screwed into the skis [they are old] and tow the skis with the boots in them like a pulk. Any thoughts on this? --
- Marvin

From the horse's mouth:

Uphill Hiking/Skiing Route

Uphill access to Wildcat Mountain by hiking, skinning, snowshoeing or any other manual ascent is given only after a trail pass ($10) or lift ticket has been purchased for the day or with a valid season pass. Users of facilities do so under NH statutes S225-A:24 and RSA 637:8. The tickets carry WMSA liability waiver. When manually ascending Wildcat Mountain, the designated uphill route is Stray Cat to Middle Polecat to Catnap to Upper Polecat and will be identified and posted in the main base lodge at the ticket counter. Use of the mountain during the winter operating season is prohibited outside of regular operating hours.

Link

Sorry to hear about your injuries, Marvin! Hope you're able to make it out Saturday - weather looks great for hitting the slopes!

looks like a go. I have my ski pulk all set up to tow my skis and boots. Does any one know how good cell reception is from the slopes of wild cat. my wife is driving uo with me and will probably end up in n conawy or gorham while i'm hiking. It would be nice to be able to contact her if my knees give out and i have to turn around early.
also any reports on the trail condition from slope to "D" snowshoe's?
Thanks
gonna be strange for me starting a winter hike in daylight.

looks like a go. I have my ski pulk all set up to tow my skis and boots. Does any one know how good cell reception is from the slopes of wild cat. my wife is driving uo with me and will probably end up in n conawy or gorham while i'm hiking. It would be nice to be able to contact her if my knees give out and i have to turn around early.
also any reports on the trail condition from slope to "D" snowshoe's?
Thanks
gonna be strange for me starting a winter hike in daylight.

I think cell coverage should be ok at upper elevations. Should have reasonable shot on towers in N Conway or Gorham. Lower elevations could be shaky. Descent goes pretty quick so don't wait until you get to lower elevations to make your call especially if you bring skis.

I'm not sure about coverage down low, but back in 2011 I bought a house down in Georgia while standing on the top of Wildcat using my cell phone. The coverage must have been good because I'm sitting in that house right now as I write this. :)

Cell coverage was good at least for top half of slope. Great day for a hike less cloudy than predicted and no wind. . Should have stuck with plan of slack packing. Carried way too much gear and after several falls skiing down admitted to myself that I could not ski on the icy conditions with that much added weight and ended walking down most of the way with the added weight of my old 990 skis and heavy boots. - but the knees held up so I can tackle some real peaks this winter. I wont bother with a separate condition report so; Half of north most designated hiking trails closed off from skiers :) because of ice and lack of snow - Fine with micro spikes. Top of slope to peak very messy and icy, wore shoes but should have stuck with micro-spikes or crampons. After giving up on skiing wore hillsound crampons down the slopes.

Last edited: