Are We a Dying Breed?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisB

Reaction score
This new report from the Outdoor Retailer show in Denver seems to think so.

And I quote...

Millennials – generally defined as people born between 1982 and 2004 – are less likely than the previous generation to demand outdoor gear that stands up to extreme conditions, said Matt Powell, NPD’s senior adviser for the sports industry. He used boots as an example.

“The hardest, the most extreme condition some of these boots are going to have is walking from the Prius to the craft brewery,”

Any millennials on this board want to respond to that snarky comment?

cb

Last edited:
Me too. I have a pair I had made in 1980 that are still serviceable, and another pair I had made in 2003. I wore them in Spain to hike in the Pyrenees three years ago and since I had checked my pack which didn't have enough space for my boots, I wore them on the plane and felt extremely foolish. I am not a "boomer". Since I was born in 1939 I am of the so called "silent" generation. No idea why we are called that.

This new report from the Outdoor Retailer show in Denver seems to think so.

And I quote...

Millennials – generally defined as people born between 1982 and 2004 – are less likely than the previous generation to demand outdoor gear that stands up to extreme conditions, said Matt Powell, NPD’s senior adviser for the sports industry. He used boots as an example.

“The hardest, the most extreme condition some of these boots are going to have is walking from the Prius to the craft brewery,”

Any millennials on this board want to respond to that snarky comment?

cb

With regards too that quote, someone making broad generalizations about a large group of people is often saying more about themselves. Without data to dissect, one can only speculate about the sales decline.

As for me personally, I don't know anyone who does that stereotype. I don't own hiking boots though - I use Merrell Moabs with Goretex socks, although that is mostly do to size limitations. I am curious how old you were when you all bought your Limmers. :)

I am curious how old you were when you all bought your Limmers. :)
I bought my first pair of Limmers when I was in my mid 40's, almost 20 years ago. My first pair is still very functional; I recently bought my second pair, and both of my wife's 2 pairs when in our 60's.

About myself: For the record I do not own a "smart phone" (though I do have an ipad). I communicate with others via a land line connected home phone and email using a real computer. I use a cell phone for voice comm (many people apparently don't know its technology actually lets you directly speak to other people on the thing) only as rarely needed when not at home, if I remember to take it with me. I do not text (Don't do Morse Code either, can't see much difference) nor do I answer incoming texts on my cell flip phone. I don't do Facebook or twitter either (because I don't care to read what you had for breakfast this morning). Lest you think differently, I am retired with over 40 years as a MS electrical engineer from a high tech research laboratory with considerable working experience in cyber operations, radar, and photonics. So I do not shun technology.

Last edited:
I bought my first pair of Limmers when I was in my mid 40's, almost 20 years ago. My first pair is still very functional; I recently bought my second pair, and both of my wife's 2 pairs when in our 60's.

About myself: For the record I do not own a "smart phone" (though I do have an ipad). I communicate with others via a land line connected home phone and email using a real computer. I use a cell phone for voice comm (many people apparently don't know its technology actually lets you directly speak to other people on the thing) only as rarely needed when not at home, if I remember to take it with me. I do not text (Don't do Morse Code either, can't see much difference) nor do I answer incoming texts on my cell flip phone. I don't do Facebook or twitter either (because I don't care to read what you had for breakfast this morning). Lest you think differently, I am retired with over 40 years as a MS electrical engineer from a high tech research laboratory with considerable working experience in cyber operations, radar, and photonics. So I do not shun technology.
Limmer’s are way over rated IMO. Have a few pairs but never Hike in them anymore as newer technology is way more comfortable and functional. For the record Morse Code is way different than texting.

My Limmers have never leaked in all day rains, and are the most comfortable boots I have ever had in my life (and I have had quite a few in my time). Have you ever worn a pair for an extended time?

I know perfectly well what Morse Code, is, having learned it in Boy Scouts as a then requirement for first class rank, and in the military as a requirement in flight school. My MC compared to texting comment was meant to indicate that texting is a low form of technological communicating (as is MC), when compared to actual real-time full duplex instantaneous two way voice (no thumbing required). In comparison to voice, Both texting and MC are relatively low primitive technology methods executed with thumbs.

Last edited:
When I bought them I had just turned 41. I tend to agree with Skiguy about their utility in these modern days. I never use them for anything but trailwork and heavy load backpacking in very rough terrain. And, not much of that anymore. It's probably the only boot that would complete an AT Thruhike. What other hiking boot would last 37 years and still keep going?

My Limmers have never leaked in all day rains, and are the most comfortable boots I have ever had in my life (and I have had quite a few in my time). Have you ever worn a pair?

I know perfectly well what Morse Code, is, having learned it in Boy Scouts as a then requirement for first class rank, and in the military as a requirement in flight school. My MC compared to texting comment was meant to indicate that texting is a low form of technological communicating (as is MC), when compared to actual real-time full duplex instantaneous two way voice (no thumbing required). In comparison to voice, Both texting and MC are relatively low primitive technology methods done with thumbs.
Yes as I mentioned I have two pairs and I have worn them plenty. The first of which I got back in the early 70's. They are still not as comfortable as way more recent footwear I have but they make great yard shoes especially for fall cleanups. I agree that texting and morse code are relatively low technology. Especially Morse code. Compared to voice Morse code is way more reliable and may save all our arses when the grid goes down. I won't go into depth as that would be getting way off topic but I encourage you to make your own comparisons unless DougPaul wants to chime in and clarify. As an electrical engineer I'm sure your more than able to distinguish the nuances with a few simple Googles.
Back on topic I don't consider myself as a dying breed. Although I do think the demographic is different than it was 40-50 even 20 years ago.

Although I do think the demographic is different than it was 40-50 even 20 years ago.
And that, my friend, is the crux of the argument of this thread. Don't even get me going on what my wife has to deal with as a teacher these days with attitudes and disrespectful behaviors of young people today in school.

I was very happy with two pairs of mid-weight Limmers (I know, not the real thing :D) until my early seventies, when I felt that my ageing body could not justify their weight. I must say that the lighter boots I used were fine for my more limted hikes.

I was very happy with two pairs of mid-weight Limmers (I know, not the real thing :D) until my early seventies, when I felt that my ageing body could not justify their weight.

Aren't there two flavors of Limmers: Custom made with a looong wait, and-off-the shelf in standard sizes? I would guess the customs are more comfortable.

As far as Morse code and texting goes, both will get a message through when condx are marginal. If you can't connect a call while hiking try a text to the same number. Usually will work.

I'm with Mohamed, light is right on the tootsies. I stopped using my Fabiano Mountain Boots years ago and went with Merrill low and mid Moabs. Never looked back.

Conventional wisdom I learned coming up was that a pound on the foot was equivalent to ten pounds on the back! Who know if it's true, but my 70-year-old legs seem to appreciate light footwear. Down side is you need strong ankles hiking in New England. It's always something...

cb

I am definitely not a millennial but since I have been living in the whites (1986), there have always been poseurs buying tech gear. Its a lot easier to buy high end gear then to actually build up experience required to need it. The North Face walked the fine line for years where they still made great technical gear even though most of the buyers were urban. At one point their biggest market was urban hip hop. I drew the line when they decided that embroidering their logo on both the front and the back of their jackets was required (I must admit I do have a down puffy I got on closeout, with the double logo) . Patagonia has been playing the game for years, great gear but marketed to give it Hip "snob" appeal. I have met several folks who bought their gear at IME for the image that it must be good as the owner went up Everest yet they were definitely over geared for their level of activities. Realistically my observations of IME gear prices traditionally was full retail plus.

I gave up trying to track the lineage of high end gear names but more then a few brand names were snapped up by conglomerates for the image. Beans did try to keep selling good high end gear for a stretch while Leon Gorman was running the company but I noticed a decline corresponding with Chris Mc Cormack's tenure. They still try to keep a bit of technical gear but it sure looks like its a vestige of what it once was (I have been able to get some real nice GoreTex Pro gear on closeout).

More power to Limmer's if they can continue to stay in business selling what are definitely anachronisms. I do remember when I moved into the area and AMC was still the trend setter for all things white mountain hiking (on the tail end of the use group era). In order to fit in with the "cool AMC & RMC guys(former trail crew and hut boys) " you had to have Limmer's. Limmer knew this and gave trail crew folks an instant head of the line and reportedly a discount. I too know folks who have 30 to 40 year old Limmers that have been resoled many times but my experience was after the first resoling, mine got narrower and despite assurance to the contrary, I could never use them again except for short dayhikes. A friend that used to frequent garage sales found many near brand new pairs for sale and usually the former owners admitted they just couldnt get them broken in. I gave Limmer midweights a try a few year later and despite having them stretched I could never use them and made the swap to trail runners.

During the tech era, there were plenty of young tech folks some of whom were on VFTT that were young single and compensated well and probably worked a lot more hours than they cared to, one way of rewarding themselves was with high end gear whether they needed it or not.

Last edited:
BTW, at some point Limmer's custom boots sold (or leased) the distribution rights for the "stock" boots. I think they went through some financial issues at one point. As far as I know they have never built the mid or light weight boots they are came from their supplier in Europe. Even back in the tail end of the hiking boom of the eighties when the wait list was out over 2 years, they really encouraged buying stock boots.

Aren't there two flavors of Limmers: Custom made with a looong wait, and-off-the shelf in standard sizes? I would guess the customs are more comfortable.
Well sort of. At one time Limmer tried to sell OTS standard sizes by stocking through the usual local vendors, but they found that the merchants did not know enough about fitting boots to do proper justice to the brand. So Limmer stopped that practice. If you go to the shop they will properly fit you with standard sizes they have in stock, or order the size for you from Germany. Alternatively, Peter Limmer first became well known many years ago for custom fitting and manufacturing boots to fit hard to fit odd size or special request size feet. It made the boots rather expensive with a long waiting period to get your boots. I use my OTS Limmers primarily for difficult solo bushwhacks and on many SAR incidents, often in heavy blowdown areas of the Adirondacks. A pair of Merrell winter boots recently got destroyed while on a SAR, by forcing them through thick alders and rocky uneven terrain. I should have worn my more sturdy Limmers instead.

I bought my first customs to compensate for the injuries to my feet while serving in SEA, my second pair too. I also have a pair of Limmer shoes that one of the Limmer Boys made in Vermont for me around 1982. limmer shoe.jpg They are built with one seam, just like the boots.

Shoes are possibly the most personal of all gear choices. Many, many variables. I switched to trail runners in the 90's. Most AT long distance hikers I knew were making the change as well. New Balance had a bit of a head start at the time. I hike in boots when I need 400g insulation.

Any millennial ever heard of Limmer? We could start there. I would have loved to own a pair but not much point if I don't like boots.