Wyoming - GTNP, Yellowstone, Wind River Range

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian, there are some short hikes up the Tetons that will still give you a great view. One ends at a waterfall, where farther up, we could see people ascending the steeps with ropes, helmets, etc.

I have considered that, actually. I know from visits to other National Parks (Yosemite, Glacier, Olympic, North Cascades) that the fun and satisfaction for me begin where the crowds end. I also really dislike having to plan everything out to the day and make reservations 6 months in advance. My kids are really interested in the thermal features in Yellowstone, though. At their age, I need to find and carefully leverage whatever motivates them. The Teton Crest trail seems like a good way to see the best part of the Tetons (besides actually climbing them) with some limits on the crowds. The trip to the Winds is really a recon mission for a future adventure. I could see us disappearing into the back country there for a couple of weeks. But I want to get the lay of the land first, especially with my boys still relatively young.

YES. Having overdone the hiking and solitude thing just a bit when my kids were that age (from their viewpoint), you are definitely on the right track. Now that they're in college, we like more of the same things!! Had some of my best hikes with my 18 year old daughter just last summer.

Adults like us:
Turn-ons: solitude, wilderness, stars at night, wildlife
Turn-offs: Anything that reminds us of the daily grind
Not bothered by: excessive exertion

Kids like ours (often, varies):
Turn-ons: whiz-bang stuff they never see day-to-day (includes stars at night and wildlife!!)
Turn-offs: boredom, excessive exertion
Not bothered by: Anything that reminds them of the daily grind

So. Enjoy!!

Good idea, Tom. We saw a few people ice climbing in the Flume over the winter, and the kids were fascinated. They've seen my rock rack (which I have not donned with any regularity since they were born), and they both are pretty fascinated with the mechanics of it all. I'm sure seeing people climbing the Tetons would be interesting for them. And waterfalls are always winners for all of us.

Weatherman, jeez, you could not have hit the nail more squarely on the head with regard to the differences between adults and kids. Wow. That's exactly my experience so far. Actually, I'm beginning to notice a difference between the 9 yo and the 7 yo - the older one is less bothered by excessive exertion than the younger one, who will still throw in a good melt down from time to time, just to keep things interesting. But yeah, seeing Old Faithful erupt, even among 1,000 of their newest friends, will knock their socks off.

Family trip to the Great Sand Dunes 4-5 years ago was priceless. Sledding on sand (much much slower than buttsliding down Wildcat) and a good campfire, but the thing that did it for me was telling the kids "just look up" after we had dinner in Alamosa and drove back to our campsite. They both just about hit the ground when they saw how many stars there were! They still look forward to the night sky anytime we get out of the Metro area.

From the perspective of looking back:

My parents took their kids on trips to the western national parks every other year from when I was very young until I graduated high school. Some trips focused on the SW, some on the NW. We visited Glacier when I was 3--I still remember some scenes from that trip (eg the view down a crevasse in Grinnell Glacier). Over time we visited many of the parks: Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Rainier, Bryce, Zion, Arches, Canyonlands, Grand Canyon, Rocky Mountain, Glacier, Banff, and Jasper to list a few. We stayed in each park for a few days seeing the sights and hiking some of the trails. (Usually day hikes, but there were several 2-dayers with a stay at a "walk-in hotel" such as Highline Tr/Swiftcurrent Pass Tr to Granite Park Chalet (Glacier) and S. Kaibab Tr/S Bright Angel Tr to Phantom Ranch (Grand Canyon).)

I have some very fond memories of those trips (and, of course, a life-long love of hiking) and have revisited some of the parks as an adult.

Hopefully those of you who are taking your kids to these areas will leave them with similar memories and an appreciation for the outdoors.

Doug

Last edited:
Yellowstone Old Faithful is a piece of cake. It goes off every 90 min.. so go early am and have it to yourself. Once I saw it Pink from a Pink sunrise.. I do everything early am out at the NP's..

The one of the best hikes in Yellowstone is the hike into Fairy Falls/Imperial Geyser... got the Geyser all to your self out in back country. Goes off every few seconds or minutes depending on the year. No signs,crowds. We start early again. I think it's about 9 miles rt.. flat no roots or rocks. Camp sites in that area as well. And folks do a loop from the Grand loop to camp site to Imperial back to Prismatic Springs ..

Also in Yellowstone.. Osprey Falls is a 11 mile rt hike into back country down into a gorge with a spectacular falls. Had that to ourselves for lunch as well.

Grand Teton's hike into the Casade Canyon from Jenny's lake is just plain awesome.. goes all the way into the shelters to stay over night.. if you'd like.

Heading out to the Rockies this year and finishing down in Southern Utah and Grand Canyon before heading back.

Last edited:
We've just returned from our Wyoming adventure. The trip was really fantastic, even though there were times in both national parks (and short stretches in the Winds) where I flat out wanted to stop recycling, blow up the National Park Headquarters, and burn both parks to the ground. And I'm a pretty mild mannered guy, believe me. :)

The summaries

5 days in Yellowstone: We mostly stayed in the front country because my boys wanted to see the geothermal features. In general it was a zoo and I couldn't wait to get the heck out of there. The geysers and hot springs really are amazing natural features. But the difficulty of parking and generally inconsiderate and stressed out mobs of tourists (us included) took away a lot of the enjoyment. It was definitely amazing and beautiful, but it felt like Boston. The things we liked the most: 1) Hike to Observation Point (Washburn was closed for some reason - we wanted to hike it, but trailhead was closed. Observation point was similar elevation and effort and just down the street). People hiking were nice. I think the 11 mile round trip route at elevation weeds out a lot of others, and the scenery was gorgeous. 2) Soaking in boiling river near Mammoth. It was a total mob scene, but we arrived right as a huge storm was passing through (air temp literally dropped 20 degrees in 10 minutes; wind, lightning, etc.) and managed to find a parking spot. It was a unique experience. 3) River swimming near Madison campground. There's a river that passed right by the campground (Gibbon river) - we spent both of our afternoons at that campsite by the river watching elk graze nearby while floating down the river. It was magical and actually not mobbed at all. There was also a swimming area called Firehole Canyon. We went one early morning, before it got truly mobbed, and that was fun. But that spot is like Diana's Bath. 4) Lamar valley. Huge numbers of bison. Really cool. Other notes: Old Faithful area was cool but we had to cut it short because my son tripped on the boardwalk and drove about 100 splinters (not an exaggeration) into his hand, requiring a trip to urgent care. That whole area was absolutely mobbed. Think Foxboro on game day. Same with Norris Geyser basin, Mammoth, and Grand Prismatic. Cool features, but wow. It was stressful. Also, at both campgrounds we stayed at (Canyon and Madison) we experienced large RV generators starting up most mornings at 8:00 a.m. I'm talking about the 5000 watt gas powered ones you might use if you get snowed in for a few days. Unbelievably loud. Really ruined the morning cup of coffee. If we ever go back (unlikely), it'll be either dead of winter or May.

Wind River Range: Just the antidote to Yellowstone we needed. We did a 2-night backpack, base camping at Hobbs Lake and day-hiking into Seneca Lake for Day 2. I'd like to get out to Titcomb, but my kids need to get a little bit older. It is gorgeous. People were unbelievably nice. I actually wanted to see people on the trail, just to chat. We all seemed to be there for the same reason. We swam in Hobbs. Mosquitoes were awful. Next time I'd pay to have my clothes treated with Permethrin, or go a little later in the season, when cooler temps would likely freeze out the bastards (i.e. late August or September). We had one night of ~freezing temps, and the skeeters were much more manageable the next day. Pinedale was a lovely town. Nice people. We stayed at the Log Cabin Motel, which I HIGHLY recommend. Next time we'll also bring a fly fishing pole. I expect we'll be back to the Winds. It's stunning and gigantic. Opportunities seem endless.

Grand Teton National Park: Pretty much the only thing we did was our 5-day traverse of the Teton Crest Trail, so I can't comment much on the front country. WOW the Teton Crest Trail was amazing!!!! I got permits right when they went on sale 6 months earlier. Otherwise it is pretty hard to get the best back country sites. We went up the tram and stayed in Granite Canyon (kinda boring but amazing wildflowers; bad mosquitoes) then across Death Canyon Shelf to Alaska Basin (fabulous, swam in one of the lakes), then S Cascade Canyon (otherworldly views of the Tetons as you come over Hurricane pass), and then Holly Lake (we swam in Lake Solitude in passing - BEAUTIFUL lake with cold, clear water, but definitely not solitude; still loved it). We swam in Holly Lake too and liked that spot, but it was VERY windy. We hiked over Paintbrush Divide, which I'd rate as nontrivial with a heavy pack and a 7- and 9-year old. Also, the snow fields would have been quite challenging even two weeks earlier. On our way out, we stopped to take a dip in String Lake, and after walking along the lake for 20 minutes with packs at the end of a long day, once we finally found an open spot on the shore, we were told that the spot we were putting our packs down in was reserved for another group that had gone to their cars to get their inner tubes and other floaties. Good lord. Jackson was extremely expensive and mobbed. Fortunately we were only there on either end of the backpack, so 'civilization' felt ok. I think we'll be back in a few years, perhaps to start with Middle Teton.

I'm really proud of my boys (and wife) who managed repeated long days up to 10 miles with 2-3k' elevation gains at ~10k' elevation carrying their fair share of weight in packs. The logistics of backpacking with relatively young boys was no joke, but I'll never forget the experience with them, and I doubt they will either.

Please feel free to ping me if you want any more details.

Awesome!! Thanks for the great report and it sounds like you had a fantastic time. Sorry to hear about the splinters.
People are crazy. 5000 watts to heat your morning coffee. And how can you reserve sand? Reminds me of Long Island Sound. Now that our kids are in college and we aren't slaves to the school schedule, I'm thinking that the magic word might be: September.
May sometimes is still winter there and places tend to be closed for what is the equivalent of mud season, so fall is better.
Hope the smoke from the CA fires wasn't too bad! We can't even see the foothills here in Denver and the fires are 900 miles away.

Awesome!! Now that our kids are in college and we aren't slaves to the school schedule, I'm thinking that the magic word might be: September.

My wife and I almost always take vacation the first week in September that falls after Labor Day. Works out great just about every year regardless of the location we choose.

Last edited:
Wind River Range: Just the antidote to Yellowstone we needed. We did a 2-night backpack, base camping at Hobbs Lake and day-hiking into Seneca Lake for Day 2.
I took one of my most memorable pictures overlooking Seneca Lake:
DSC_0354.jpg
I'm glad to hear that you had such a great time!

I think we'll be back in a few years, perhaps to start with Middle Teton.

If you camp in the Meadows in Garnet Canyon, ascending either South Teton or Middle Teton can be done as dayhikes. The NW couloir on South Teton is probably Class 3, with a possible snowfield to cross while the SW couloir of Middle Teton has a section of possibly Class 4 near the summit.

https://www.summitpost.org/middle-teton/150981

Last edited: