Compass Recommendation

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I've been looking for a new compass with some features my current model doesn't have and I'm curious to get some opinions here because I know there are some hard core navigators on the site. I am currently using a Silva model with the flip up sighting mirror (not sure of the exact model. I've had quite awhile and I don't see any model info on it anywhere). It gets me where I want to go but as I've gotten older my up close vision has gotten to the point where I have a hard time reading the bearings with the lines so close, especially in low light conditions. Also, I'm not sure if it is the design or I damaged it at some point but when I spin the dial I can actually shift the whole dial off the center a bit which I am sure is not great for accurate readings.

So I am looking for a model that has bullet proof construction, some ability to magnify the readings and a luminous dial for reading in low light or at night now that I do a lot more sunrise/sunset/night hiking. I've come across models that are described as "military style" and have a sighting lens and luminous dials but it is unclear if the sighting lens is magnified in any way. Several models I looked at also had a second dial outside the 0-360 dial that appears to be a subdivision of some sort - is that what that is? They also seem fairly thick and are not clear so setting down on a map to plot directions seems like it would be a little more inconvenient.

Anyone have any thoughts on a brand or model that might help me out with these features? The Silva compass I have now is pretty much the only compass I have ever used so I'm not sure where it stands among other brands quality wise. Appreciate any feedback on the subject.

This is an example of a compass with some of the features I mentioned in case I was unclear what I was describing: https://www.amazon.com/Professional...=UTF8&qid=1518359514&sr=1-37&keywords=compass
This compass looks cool but it is hard to tell from the description whether it has a way to adjust for magnetic declination. This may not matter if the maps that you are using have magnetic grid lines drawn on them but personally I prefer to have it in case I need it. I currently use Brunton True Arc 3 ( https://www.rei.com/product/877062/brunton-truarc-3-compass ) that has an easy-to-adjust center plate (no tools necessary) but it does not have other bells and whistles that you probably care about.

I use my compass all the time. My compass is pretty low tech. I look for high visibility text and well marked north shed for visibility in low light. If I was in market for new compass I would probably pick Silva Explorer Pro High Visibility Compass. You can google this and probably find it pretty quick. I use my compass so much the text around dial usually wears out due to my constantly dialing in new bearings. I always carry 2 compasses as once in while lanyard comes undone and compass disappears who knows where. That can be a real pain being off trail and suddenly with out a compass.

Last edited:
So I am looking for a model that has bullet proof construction, some ability to magnify the readings and a luminous dial for reading in low light or at night now that I do a lot more sunrise/sunset/night hiking.

Anyone have any thoughts on a brand or model that might help me out with these features? The Silva compass I have now is pretty much the only compass I have ever used so I'm not sure where it stands among other brands quality wise. Appreciate any feedback on the subject.

I am a fan of Sunto. I have used a model similar to this one for many years. It is simple, easy to use and rugged in the field. Off trail I wear it around my neck and shoot bearings as I go.

I prefer working in Metric units as I find that simpler and more accurate than degrees, seconds, etc. and this compass has a ruler to support that use.

I also carry a backup compass... just in case.

cb

Suunto M-3 (various similar models), without question. Silva, the ones now being sold in the USA, are not of the quality they used to be and I can no longer recommend them.

Suunto M-3 (various similar models), without question. Silva, the ones now being sold in the USA, are not of the quality they used to be and I can no longer recommend them.

I have looked at some of their models but I don't see any with some ability to magnify the readings of the compass. Awhile back I had come across a compass that had a magnifying bubble on the bezel so the bearings were easier to read. Wish I had bookmarked it. Can't remember who made it.

Have you ever used the military style units? Is that viewfinder magnified for easier reading? Biggest issue right now is bigger numbers for easier reading. I guess I may have to start carrying a magnifying glass.

Have you ever used the military style units? Is that viewfinder magnified for easier reading? Biggest issue right now is bigger numbers for easier reading. I guess I may have to start carrying a magnifying glass.
The military unit that you linked looked like a gimmicked-up lensatic. (I read somewhere that lensatics are designed for directing artillery fire...) According to wikipedia, lensatics generally have an electrically-damped rotating card in an air capsule. They are subject to moisture getting in the capsule which can freeze. They don't have a protractor. IMO, not the best design for hiking...

I recently researched compasses (including reading customer reviews)--many of the newer versions of the old reliables (eg my Silva Ranger CL Type 15, purchased in the 1970s and still in fine shape) have gone down hill. The Suunto M3 looked like the best of the modestly-priced current units. If you want a mirror compass, the Suunto MC-2G looks like it might be a reasonable choice.

I have seen compasses with a magnifier for reading the map, but never for reading the numbers on the compass. I suggest that you deal with that separately from the compass.

Doug

The military unit that you linked looked like a gimmicked-up lensatic. (I read somewhere that lensatics are designed for directing artillery fire...) According to wikipedia, lensatics generally have an electrically-damped rotating card in an air capsule. They are subject to moisture getting in the capsule which can freeze. They don't have a protractor. IMO, not the best design for hiking...

I recently researched compasses (including reading customer reviews)--many of the newer versions of the old reliables (eg my Silva Ranger CL Type 15, purchased in the 1970s and still in fine shape) have gone down hill. The Suunto M3 looked like the best of the modestly-priced current units. If you want a mirror compass, the Suunto MC-2G looks like it might be a reasonable choice.

I have seen compasses with a magnifier for reading the map, but never for reading the numbers on the compass. I suggest that you deal with that separately from the compass.

Doug

Yes I just grabbed that photo because it was the first one I came across with the features that interested me (the sight, the luminous dial). There are many, many models made by many, many companies I have never heard of in the category. There are better quality ones in that style (including apparently the official military use model) with operating temp ranges of -50 deg F to 150 deg F, sandproof, freeze proof, blah, blah, blah. I read a variety of reviews on this style of compass and a handful of "better ones" seemed to emerge at the top of lists on several sites. If the viewfinder is not magnified for reading the bearings than this style is of little interest to me. That was my biggest hope in finding a different style of compass. Amazon has many of these models for cheap enough money though so I may go ahead and get one anyway just to try out and have some familiarity with the style to compare.

I can't help with a specific compass per-se, but will mention that I finally broke down and admitted to myself that my near-field vision isn't what it used to be and purchased some sports-specific bifocal glasses. Now I can read the tiny compass numbers (and map details) again! Dual Eyewear (https://www.dualeyewear.com/) has a reasonably priced (and stylish) selection - I wear the SL2's cycling and hiking and am much happier!...

I have suunto sighting compass that I use for running lines and bushwhacking http://www.thecompassstore.com/51kb20360r.html. I have the cheap plastic version and have to deal with declination adjustment on the fly. It does have a focus dial on it but I dont think it magnifies. Its is much easier to stay on bearing then the alternative.

I expect good compass skills have taken a backseat to "follow the beep" GPS hiking where staying on bearing is far less important.

I can't help with a specific compass per-se, but will mention that I finally broke down and admitted to myself that my near-field vision isn't what it used to be and purchased some sports-specific bifocal glasses. Now I can read the tiny compass numbers (and map details) again! Dual Eyewear (https://www.dualeyewear.com/) has a reasonably priced (and stylish) selection - I wear the SL2's cycling and hiking and am much happier!...

I got my first pair of reading glasses about 6 months ago and have found that without my close up vision went from poor to non existent. I really don't want to start dragging my glasses around for hiking (lost, damaged, fogging up, etc) especially considering how infrequently I'd need them. I suppose maybe a cheap magnifying glass of some sort I can clip to the same lanyard as my compass will probably have to do the job. Haven't been able to find anything else.

I have suunto sighting compass that I use for running lines and bushwhacking http://www.thecompassstore.com/51kb20360r.html. I have the cheap plastic version and have to deal with declination adjustment on the fly. It does have a focus dial on it but I dont think it magnifies. Its is much easier to stay on bearing then the alternative.

I expect good compass skills have taken a backseat to "follow the beep" GPS hiking where staying on bearing is far less important.

I came across a high end Suunto version of this compass for $165 (which I will not be getting). It must magnify somewhat to read 1/2 degree with 1 deg marks versus the standard 2 deg on most models?

I generally navigate with map and compass but you can't deny the added benefits a GPS brings, in particular knowing the elevation and getting bearings from waypoints to your actual location. I always treat the map/compass/gps combination as a system. Don't have to have a GPS but it sure expedites many things (assuming you can use a map and compass to start with and understand the information the GPS is giving).

EDIT: Thanks for the link to this website. It has models with the feature I want, which apparently is called a "flip up magnifying optic". At least now I know what manufacturers call it so maybe I'll find more models.

Last edited:
I always treat the map/compass/gps combination as a system. Don't have to have a GPS but it sure expedites many things (assuming you can use a map and compass to start with and understand the information the GPS is giving).
i don't discourage learning the 'system" of navigation tools, but i will say that addition of a GPS does not expedite learning how to accomplish and enjoy the skills of traditional navigation with M&C and using brain power without the crutch of GPS. I will also say that GPS is an indispensable additional tool used with M&C on several recent SAR incidents I have participated on.

I came across a high end Suunto version of this compass for $165 (which I will not be getting). It must magnify somewhat to read 1/2 degree with 1 deg marks versus the standard 2 deg on most models?

IMHO the super accurate markings on a compass are of limited use. Maybe if you are on a top of a mountain where you know exactly your position and you try to distinguish between two peaks far away from you but otherwise clustered nearby then maybe that 1 degree scale and notch & reticle sighting can help you determine what you are looking at. When it comes to off-trail hiking the reality is that in any nontrivial terrain walking in a perfectly straight line is almost impossible and that 1 degree won't matter anyways. If you have some time to spare do this experiment - go to some unfamiliar place where you could walk for half a mile in the woods to some landmark (e.g. a trail intersection) get a bearing from your map or gps and try to walk directly to this point using compass. Don't look at your gps until you think you walked for 0.5 mile and then review your track. Contrast this with 1 degree deviation from straight line.

IMHO the super accurate markings on a compass are of limited use.
I have practiced and taught courses in land navigation for more than 20 years, and I completely agree with IAMKrzys's analysis. If you become proficient at observational navigation and terrain association, you don't need micrometer accuracy on a hiker's orienteering style compass. Save that for land surveyors and legal boundaries.

Back in the day when I was an Air Force navigator (when the AF actually used navigators). On a precision navigation course, I might have said "pilot, turn 2 degrees left". Pilot: "Nav, I can't do 2 degrees". Navigator:"Ok, turn 5 degrees left". Pilot:"OK, turning 5 degrees left". Nav: "Pilot, Now turn 3 degrees right". Pilot:, "Nav, Ok, I can do that". It worked better on the younger pilots.

Last edited:
It has been a LONG time since I did high school geometry, but my calculations tell me that if you were off by 1 degree, you'd be off course by 92 feet over the course of a mile. Two degrees off course would result in a 184 foot 'miss' of the desired location. I imagine planning for plus-or-minus 3 degrees is reasonable, absent any terrain features, and with a good compass and careful attention.

In practice, that means (for example), if you are trying to get back to your car, which is parked on the side of the road, you probably want to aim 3 degrees to one side or the other. That way, if you get to the road and don't see your car, you know which direction to walk. If your navigation was perfect, you'd have to walk the road for 276 feet (~1 football field). If you navigated erroneously by 3 degrees in the 'good' direction, your car would be right in front of you. And if you were off by 3 degrees in the 'bad' direction, you'd have to walk 2 football fields. But you'd always know which direction to go on the road. Any of those would be preferable to walking endlessly down the road, not knowing if your car was in front of you or behind you.

Of course, being able to use 'terrain handrails' is highly preferable. More fun, too, IMO. I love connecting what I see on my map and compass to the physical world in front of me. Park your car next to a stream. Or at the height of land. Save yourself a couple of football fields.

Nessmuk, that is pretty hilarious!

It has been a LONG time since I did high school geometry, but my calculations tell me that if you were off by 1 degree, you'd be off course by 92 feet over the course of a mile. Two degrees off course would result in a 184 foot 'miss' of the desired location. I imagine planning for plus-or-minus 3 degrees is reasonable, absent any terrain features, and with a good compass and careful attention.

Of course, being able to use 'terrain handrails' is highly preferable. More fun, too, IMO. I love connecting what I see on my map and compass to the physical world in front of me. Park your car next to a stream. Or at the height of land. Save yourself a couple of football fields.
Think radian measure trigonometry. The resulting rule of thumb is for every degree of course error (for relatively small angles), you will be offset by 1 part in 60 in cross track error per distance traveled. For example, (keeping the math easy) for a 3 degree error over 6000 feet (nearly a nautical mile), 1 part in 60 is 100. 100 x3 puts you 300 feet in cross track error at your destination.

Handrails, catches, and backstops. Look for them always to assist your navigation technique. Even if you have to zig-zag to a final destination, there are almost always these features to help you reach definitive intermediate fixed points to help you along your way. building in Intentional offsets are an excellent technique to help you determine which way to turn at a linear backstop.

Last edited:
The old trick when coming out to a road is if there are power poles figure out which way the numbering runs and then note the closest pole number where you started.

Of course these days I expect most folks would just look at the GPS screen and follow the electronic "crumbs" back to the car. ;)

A general observation I make is most people new to map and compass occasionally blow the declination adjustment and frequently end up doubling the error. With 17 degrees declination that is over a 30 degree mistake in bearing.

A general observation I make is most people new to map and compass occasionally blow the declination adjustment and frequently end up doubling the error. With 17 degrees declination that is over a 30 degree mistake in bearing.
The most important aspect of learning map and compass together is to understand the declination diagram, how to interpret what it means, an how to apply what it tells you. Everything you need to know is in that diagram. A glance at the diagram and logic will tell you what to do with your compass azimuth with the map. If your map does not have a diagram drawn on it (USGS 1:24K maps have it, 1:25K maps do not - but the dec is given in the legend), then draw one on it yourself.

Last edited: