Thread: Skier lost on Whiteface Mtn found in California after seven days of search

Skier lost on Whiteface Mtn found in California after seven days of search

http://www.wcax.com/content/news/Mis...473916753.html

I bet some S&R folks are wondering why they were out searching.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    http://www.wcax.com/content/news/Mis...473916753.html

I bet some S&R folks are wondering why they were out searching.
    I would love to know who reported him missing and why that person thought he was really missing.

Yes, I spent 2 days on the mountain leading a SAR team. Searching in the very steep rugged deep snow bouldery terrain off the ski trails was brutal. You can do a google search to find the initial answers to most immediate questions. Little in the way of details you really want to know have been released so far. More to follow during a news conference scheduled for tomorrow. Toronto fire chief has already given a news presser video you can find now.
    "She's all my fancy painted her, she's lovely, she is light. She waltzes on the waves by day and rests with me at night." - Nessmuk, Forest and Stream, July 21, 1880 [of the Wood Drake Canoe built for him by Rushton]

Quote Originally Posted by Nessmuk View Post
    You can do a google search to find the initial answers to most immediate questions.
    From this article http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise...in-california/ it appears that his friends had real reasons to believe he was missing on the mountain. I guess we will have some more clarity soon but this is already pretty strange.

Quote Originally Posted by iAmKrzys View Post
    From this article http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise...in-california/ it appears that his friends had real reasons to believe he was missing on the mountain. I guess we will have some more clarity soon but this is already pretty strange.
    I can't say much other than I had several of his buddies in my search crew with me on the mountain for 2 days. They seemed pretty close and appeared to know him well enough to believe he was truly without question still on the mountain.
    "She's all my fancy painted her, she's lovely, she is light. She waltzes on the waves by day and rests with me at night." - Nessmuk, Forest and Stream, July 21, 1880 [of the Wood Drake Canoe built for him by Rushton]

Thinking his best bet is to keep with the Sgt. Shultz defense. I'm skeptical about it, we will see if his old phone ever shows up which may show where it had been. Glad that all the SAR folks are okay & we are only talking about lost family time and money.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessmuk View Post
    I can't say much other than I had several of his buddies in my search crew with me on the mountain for 2 days. They seemed pretty close and appeared to know him well enough to believe he was truly without question still on the mountain.
    Hey, Nessmuk: Thank you for your work and effort there.
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Thanks, Chip. I really dodn't mind getting out on these things, regardless of the circumstances or the outcome. Not all are happy positive endings for family and friends of the missing person. This was probably one of the most mysterious and finally frustrating of any incident I have ben on in 20+ years of being on a SAR team. But as a bonus, I now have an experience I never could otherwise expect to have. I am not a downhill skier, but now I have a lift ticket from Whiteface to frame. Most volunteers just like to get outside and get on with a search. What we say when we are (temporarily) unsuccessful is "we can now confirm we know where the subject is not located", then we just move on with the next assignments given to us. Sometimes the most frustrating aspect is when while we are on the way responding to an incident, but get the call to stand down because the subject has been found before we get our chance to head out into the woods on the mission.
    Last edited by Nessmuk; 02-14-2018 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Yes - I was going to say the same. I was with Spencer and Corenne last week and she spoke about being on the mountain for the search as well. Haven't heard too much follow-up since the discovery in CA.
    Last edited by bubba; 03-01-2018 at 01:00 PM.
    You only live once... but, if you do it right, once is enough!
    animus non integritatem sed facinus cupit
    "The heart wills not purity but adventure" (R J Waller, A Thousand Country Miles)

Nothing new to report AFAIK, but I sure would like to know what happened to his skis and poles. If they were still in the snow we would have found them with our probing. If in the lodge, then LE would have found them. Still in the truck, maybe?
    Last edited by Nessmuk; 03-01-2018 at 03:20 PM.