What is the closest plowed road to the Alagash Locomotives ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brambor

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone knows. I was just pondering a backcountry expedition over lakes to reach the abandoned locomotives on Eagle Lake. Where is the closest plowed and drivable road? I usually do not drive any further than Abol bridge on the Golden Road :)

I'm guessing Chamberlain Bridge would be a nice access point but I'm not sure if this road is plowed in the winter.

FYI, the trains are an incredibly popular destination for the snowmobiling crowd; might not be a very peaceful trip depending on the choice of day or how late in the season you might go. Many snowmobilers combine a stop at Libby's camps along with a day at the trains. If you can figure out when Libbys ends their winter season, and head to the trains after that date, you might drastically reduce the crowds.

yeah that could be a double edged sword. on one side it could make skiing on broken snowmobile trail more fun yet on another hand one has to smell the fumes, listen to the noise and possibly share a campsite with drunken aholes :) revving up the engines at 11pm

FYI, the trains are an incredibly popular destination for the snowmobiling crowd; might not be a very peaceful trip depending on the choice of day or how late in the season you might go. Many snowmobilers combine a stop at Libby's camps along with a day at the trains. If you can figure out when Libbys ends their winter season, and head to the trains after that date, you might drastically reduce the crowds.