March 8, 2018 Coastal Storm Data

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzbo

Reaction score
Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kenne
Waltham MA It rained most of the day yesterday here. It started snowing last night here about 9 and been snowing all night only 4-5 inches of wet heavy snow this morning. Evergreen shrubs in back yard are bending over under the weight. Predicted high winds haven't really materialized as of this morning. It is still snowing 6:48 am. I'm going to drive to work out by 495 where snow fall is supposed to be greater. Radio reports 300K lost power in MA.

I wonder how this storm is panning out in rest of NE and how it might effect hiking plans in mountains this weekend. Any area reports would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Can expect 12 to 24 inches of fresh snow on top of the icy trails. This storm is a whopper! Another Nor'easter possible for Tuesday. Roads should be cleared by Friday. Bring snowshoes and save a kitties life.

I would say Dover, NH got 16 inches based on what's on the table in my yard.
Heavy.

Edit: 17.5 to 18" based on a few spots. Consistent.

Last edited:
I will hold off on a depth report but do want to comment that current projections are that the storm will move north and stall somewhat, winter weather advisories cuts offs have slipped to early Friday with additional accumulation into Saturday in the whites and western maine Canadian border region. GIven the timing, the plow crews are probably doing clean up well until Friday possibly Saturday so parking on sides of highways on pavement is not generally recommended until the clean up is complete as that is when tickets get written and on rare occasions cars get towed.

Only around 3-inches in Burlington, VT with some light snowfall. No snow accumulation until after 9:00 pm yesterday. With this storm our snow pack depth is 3-inches. Yesterday afternoon I thought the sun might break through the overcast. Forecast for the Champlain Valley is 3 to 4-inches today.

Twin mountain porch cam (1400') shows about 2" as of 10AM.
Sad.
Heading north this weekend anyway. Need to get in a few more hikes before mud season.
Winter is too short.

Fuzzy has it right Winter is too short. When I was up last weekend it looked like sap was starting to run weather sub freezing at night and above freezing during day. Down in eastern MA our daffodils were coming up .... good thing I banked them with mulch. Drive to work out on 495 proved to be real adventure. My normal route follows tree-lined secondary roads. Constant series of detours for downed trees and wires. Snow is very wet and sticks to everything pulling trees and wires down. Even traffic signals are covered with snow - can't tell if red or green. I managed to find alternate routes not so impacted by downed wires and trees.