Big difference in snow totals from last weeks storm

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
It started snowing at my place in Gorham last Wednesday and didn't stop until sometimes on Sunday. The initial storm up to Thursday evening probably totaled in the 16 inch range of fairly dense snow. The surprise was snow all day on Friday totaling 6" and another 4" overnight into Saturday with some additional accumulation on Saturday that ended up about 3" on Sunday M. The snow did pack down significantly on Sunday but it was quite a dump. I went hiking down Easton on the Mt Kinsman trail on Sunday and was concerned about where to park, it wasn't an issue as there were no recent snowbanks and at most there was 6" of snow driving into the lot. Quite the difference!. It was also very much elevation related, my place is at 1400 feet. It looked like Raven over in Randolph got less.

I think it was related to that I usually get lower than expected snow when there are coastal storms, as the presidentals tend to block the snow. Usually Conway gets significantly more. I think with the stalled front to the east, the wrap around snow coming from the north hit the presies and dumped to the north.

I expect with tomorrows storm, I will have as much snow on the ground as I have had all winter, although the forecast for the rest of the week will cause it to settle. The snow accumulation in the ravines must be impressive although I expect avalanche danger is also significant.

I was up on Mt. Willie yesterday and I saw a picture of the spot where the ladders are from 11 days ago on Reddit and WHAT a difference. 11 days ago you could see the ladders. Now - just a giant ice fall with 10 inches of snow on it

Tuesday 3/13 11:30 The next storm has been going since last night down here in eastern MA. Another damp dense snow sticks to every thing trees signs and/or your shovel. I just came in from rescuing our Rododendrons and lilac bushes from certain structural failure. I'll have to go out 2-3 more times today knock snow off them if it keeps up all day like this. Snow depths almost meaningless we have 6-7 inches but there is lot of water content. Need to come up with some new unit of measurement. Snow compresses itself as it builds up.

Need to come up with some new unit of measurement.
Snow Water Equivalent

Started out pretty fluffy here and looks to be staying that way, which isn't good for visibility. I expect this weekend is going to be a tough one for foot travel and I'm probably not going to finish the 48. Unless a bunch of people here really want to do an Zealand-Bonds traverse through pow :)

0445 hours and Snow is measuring 18" now in Waltham MA, still pretty high water content. Our house is relatively sheltered have had wind, but not so much. Certainly won't qualify as blizzard, but large volumes of snow for sure. and Snow continues to fall steadily.

This most recent round of shoveling was a lot heavier stuff than the first round.

Here in Woodstock,CT it was wet most of the day until mid afternoon. I shoveled my driveway in four "installments" throughout the day and was glad I did. Only once was it fluffy. The plow banks were particularly wet and heavy from all the road treatments and temps. As of about 4PM my yard had anywhere from 8" to 19" depending on where I went (little influence from the wind - the deep spots weren't drifts) and also has some spots that had zero snow build up even at sunset. Pretty weird distribution around my yard actually.

Snow Water Equivalent

Started out pretty fluffy here and looks to be staying that way, which isn't good for visibility. I expect this weekend is going to be a tough one for foot travel and I'm probably not going to finish the 48. Unless a bunch of people here really want to do an Zealand-Bonds traverse through pow :)
Twin Way from z cliff to at least z spur will probably be hard to follow. Monday it was barley broken out by two hikers Sunday and then me on Monday. Spur to Z mt had no sign of trail at all - went down 1' - 2' with each step. From Highway to hut to Z cliff well packed Monday from 28 hut guest Sat night and 8 Sunday night. Boy did I pick the right weather day to do it. :) . There was still a group of 6 from cape cod staying at the hut Monday night when I left but I dont think they had plans other than the cliff. Hope they made it out and home safe yesterday or stayed an extra night.

Last edited:
Twin Way from z cliff to at least z spur will probably be hard to follow.

You said it right! The route today (Friday March 16) was nicely packed from route 302 up to Zeacliff, with several spots of drifts in driftprone areas. But beyond Zeacliff, the trail was unbroken. I followed it til about 100 feet past the junction with the Zeacliff Pond trail. But then I lost it and had to turn around after 30 minutes of postholing directionlessly through hip-deep snow. I'll leave it to a couple of hikers familiar with the route to break trail to the summit.

Steve