Planning Monroe attempt.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1SlowHiker

Reaction score
I’m thinking about making an attempt at Monroe up ammo either Saturday or Monday. (1 of 4 remaining peaks on my NH4KW list). Weather/temp wise I’d prefer Monday but may not be able to. I am trying to go as light as I can safely. Would my assumption that snowshoes would be okay for the entire hike be good. Any guesses as to the chances of the trail being somewhat broken out (another reason I’d prefer Monday if possible). Other possibility would be Jefferson. Any thoughts on Jefferson approaches having a better chance of being broken out.

With the amount of snow we've been getting, snowshoes will definitely be needed. As for the route being broken out, I'd say probably, but if it isn't it will be all yours. :)

I am scheduled to hike Monroe via Ammo on Saturday, if the weather is decent. In previous winters, I was glad to be wearing crampons (lot of ice flows). This weekend, I think snowshoes will be much more important. I do not recall any super steep sections that you could not get up wearing snowshoes. Ammo is a popular trail and should be broken out by then. Hope. Hope. Hope.....

I'd bring crampons just in case. The steeps above the pool can get icy if it's heavily glisaded.

For Jefferson, consider spending a nice at Gray Knob and picking nyour way over. The best day hike route is Jewell to Gulfside, which is a big day with lots of exposure.

There is a lot of new snow in the area from March 13-14 storm, on an already deep base:
- Jefferson NH @1100' (the town, not the peak) 19" new snow
- Randolph NH @ 1800' got 11" new snow
- AMC @ Pinkham Notch @2000' got 22.5 new snow
- Mt Washington @6200' got 9.5" new snow
- Tux @ 3800' got 15" new snow

No trip reports for Mt Monroe since the storm, but you can check again before you go. All the snow reports I can find are also pinned to the map:
http://trailsnh.com/find/Mt+Monroe

If it's was me, I'd bring both snowshoes and crampons.

I am scheduled to hike Monroe via Ammo on Saturday, if the weather is decent. In previous winters, I was glad to be wearing crampons (lot of ice flows). This weekend, I think snowshoes will be much more important. I do not recall any super steep sections that you could not get up wearing snowshoes. Ammo is a popular trail and should be broken out by then. Hope. Hope. Hope.....
I'll be waiting with anticipation for you to pass me and start breaking trail. If I go Sat it will be early by headlamp but you will be certain to pass me. Look for red RI Tacoma in lot.

Unfortunately I agree with the previous posts suggesting I bring crampons. I recall the section after the pool being steep enough that it may not hold snow. Hillsound-pro's will have to do, have never picked up full crampons.

Last edited:
My hiking partner & I tried to climb to Monroe via the Ammo in late December. The trail was not broken out and had several inches of snow. It was up to my knees in some areas. There was ice under the new snow. MSR Lightning Ascent snowshoes could not grip well enough on some of the steep sections, I can't say how many times I fell.

We met up with few guys on their way down who were wearing crampons. They only made it to Lakes of the Clouds and said even snowshoes would not help much - the snow was shoulder deep in some spots closer to the hut. We turned around about 1/4 a mile from the hut and I was happy we did. As I'm sure you know, sometimes you just can't get to a summit even if you have all the proper gear.

Good luck on your climb!

Not very encouraging. Hey, even a partial attempt is better than sitting home. Last time (only time) I did Monroe (not official winter) there was waist high drifts too as I recall. If there is no trail broke out I won't last long anyway. If I quit early I can always swing over to Lincoln and check on my adopted trail. Anyone no if there are many blow downs on Black Pond trail?

Forecast for the High Summits on SAT doesn't look very good. I've had Adams and Jefferson left on my 4k Winter list for awhile now and it seems like every day I've had a chance to get up there the forecast is for heavy cloud cover, snow and high winds. Was hoping to get Jefferson SAT but that looks to be out the window with the current forecast. Been a very disappointing Winter campaign for me. Hopefully you catch a break on one of the days.

I do not recall any super steep sections that you could not get up wearing snowshoes.

Don’t forget the 6’ or so ladder a little before you hit the tree line. The snow may or may not be drifted against the rock the ladder climbs.

I don't recall a ladder, but I usually hike when there is lots and lots of snow on the ground.

Going to be cold and windy on Saturday. Might only make it to tree line. Or try something smaller.

After all that, my dog sitter (AKA my daughter) bailed on me and I cant do Saturday or Monday :mad: If I had gone I was leaning toward switching to a long Carrigain hike to stay below tree line (mostly). Please post how you made out Fuzzy

Last edited:
Not sure what the summits are like but looking at the Northern Presidentials earlier, I would guess socked in and very windy. Any summits on that ridge today are going to take a window of opportunity and some grit I imagine. Not today for me.

No ladders on Ammo Ravine trail by the way, but there's plenty steep enough for crampons in the mile between Gem Pool and LOTC.

Well. That was quite the hike. We parked at the USFS lot. Followed ski tracks until they went too far off trail, and broke the rest of the trail to where it joins with the Cog trail. A hiker arriving after us joined in on the fun. We took turns taking point. About 3 feet of fluff on the trail made for slow going.

Ammo was fine up to the gem pool. Things started deteriorating from there, but still quite passable. Turns out a group of hikers in front of us was breaking trail. They bailed (smart), and we persisted for a while. Got as far as the stream crossing at about 4200 feet. 3-5 feet of fluffy snow, a steep incline and biting wind made progress very difficult. It was cold. Super cold. Stupid cold with the wind.

End of hike. Turned around and headed down.

About 40 minutes later, the sky cleared and all of the presidential range was clear (still windy). The views from the top must have been extraordinary for anybody that made it to a peak today.

So. The trail is broken out to the stream crossing at 4200', about 1/2 mile from the hut. Hopefully someone else will finish the task soon.

10/10 would do again. Love extreme conditions once in a while.

Well. That was quite the hike. We parked at the USFS lot. Followed ski tracks until they went too far off trail, and broke the rest of the trail to where it joins with the Cog trail. A hiker arriving after us joined in on the fun. We took turns taking point. About 3 feet of fluff on the trail made for slow going.

Ammo was fine up to the gem pool. Things started deteriorating from there, but still quite passable. Turns out a group of hikers in front of us was breaking trail. They bailed (smart), and we persisted for a while. Got as far as the stream crossing at about 4200 feet. 3-5 feet of fluffy snow, a steep incline and biting wind made progress very difficult. It was cold. Super cold. Stupid cold with the wind.

End of hike. Turned around and headed down.

About 40 minutes later, the sky cleared and all of the presidential range was clear (still windy). The views from the top must have been extraordinary for anybody that made it to a peak today.

So. The trail is broken out to the stream crossing at 4200', about 1/2 mile from the hut. Hopefully someone else will finish the task soon.

10/10 would do again. Love extreme conditions once in a while.

Sounds like a great day! The northern Pressies cleared out nicely too in the mid afternoon, but yeah, had to be cold. The wind had to be fierce up there based on the valley. That upper crossing below Ammonoosuc Falls is a great turn around point on these days. Sometimes it's a real challenge getting up the snow wall on the other side of the water. Nice!

I suspect those skier tracks were headed elsewhere, and may have had an epic day.

As I'm sure yours quite aware, many hikers on Ammo have followed ski tracks and found themselves well off trail and sometimes on the "wrong" side of the river heading up. I speak from an old experience myself.

As I'm sure yours quite aware, many hikers on Ammo have followed ski tracks and found themselves well off trail and sometimes on the "wrong" side of the river heading up. I speak from an old experience myself.

I cheated. I was using a GPS, so knew that we were heading away from the actual trail (USFS lot to Ammo). It was my first time on that part, so I was paying extra attention.

I am also very aware of the "fork" in the trail where skiers go left (well, possibly straight-ish at that point), and the hiking trail goes right at around 4100'. That one seems to catch a lot of people heading up. Might be a good place to put an arrow 6-8 feet above ground, or something. Or just let what happens happen. The top is up. Tricky part is finding the trail when heading back down....