Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planning Monroe attempt.

Planning Monroe attempt.

Im thinking about making an attempt at Monroe up ammo either Saturday or Monday. (1 of 4 remaining peaks on my NH4KW list). Weather/temp wise Id prefer Monday but may not be able to. I am trying to go as light as I can safely. Would my assumption that snowshoes would be okay for the entire hike be good. Any guesses as to the chances of the trail being somewhat broken out (another reason Id prefer Monday if possible). Other possibility would be Jefferson. Any thoughts on Jefferson approaches having a better chance of being broken out.
    Marvin from RI,
    http://1slowhiker.blogspot.com
    48/48NH4K, 67/67NE4K, 100/100NEHH, 44/48 WNH4K
    Trail Adopter of Black Pond Trail (pemi)

With the amount of snow we've been getting, snowshoes will definitely be needed. As for the route being broken out, I'd say probably, but if it isn't it will be all yours.
    Proprietor - NH 52 With A View Facebook group
    Author, AMC Southern NH Trail Guide, 5th Edition - Coming in 2020!

I am scheduled to hike Monroe via Ammo on Saturday, if the weather is decent. In previous winters, I was glad to be wearing crampons (lot of ice flows). This weekend, I think snowshoes will be much more important. I do not recall any super steep sections that you could not get up wearing snowshoes. Ammo is a popular trail and should be broken out by then. Hope. Hope. Hope.....

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    I'd bring crampons just in case. The steeps above the pool can get icy if it's heavily glisaded.

For Jefferson, consider spending a nice at Gray Knob and picking nyour way over. The best day hike route is Jewell to Gulfside, which is a big day with lots of exposure.
    | 63.0% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

Quote Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
    With the amount of snow we've been getting, snowshoes will definitely be needed.
    Yes -- indeed. Once near and then above treeline, there's plenty of snow, including of the drifted variety.

Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    I'd bring crampons just in case.
    Agreed -- from recent experience, there's plenty of thick ice on some sections of trail, lurking below the new snow, especially above treeline. It can't hurt to carry these.

There is a lot of new snow in the area from March 13-14 storm, on an already deep base:
    - Jefferson NH @1100' (the town, not the peak) 19" new snow
    - Randolph NH @ 1800' got 11" new snow
    - AMC @ Pinkham Notch @2000' got 22.5 new snow
    - Mt Washington @6200' got 9.5" new snow
    - Tux @ 3800' got 15" new snow

No trip reports for Mt Monroe since the storm, but you can check again before you go. All the snow reports I can find are also pinned to the map:
    http://trailsnh.com/find/Mt+Monroe

If it's was me, I'd bring both snowshoes and crampons.
    NH 4000 x8, NE 4000 x2, NEHH x1, Presi Traverse x8, Pemi Loop x12, Double Presi Traverse x1, ADK 46 x1.

TrailsNH.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    I am scheduled to hike Monroe via Ammo on Saturday, if the weather is decent. In previous winters, I was glad to be wearing crampons (lot of ice flows). This weekend, I think snowshoes will be much more important. I do not recall any super steep sections that you could not get up wearing snowshoes. Ammo is a popular trail and should be broken out by then. Hope. Hope. Hope.....
    I'll be waiting with anticipation for you to pass me and start breaking trail. If I go Sat it will be early by headlamp but you will be certain to pass me. Look for red RI Tacoma in lot.
    Marvin from RI,

Unfortunately I agree with the previous posts suggesting I bring crampons. I recall the section after the pool being steep enough that it may not hold snow. Hillsound-pro's will have to do, have never picked up full crampons.
    Last edited by 1SlowHiker; 03-15-2018 at 10:35 AM.
    Marvin from RI,

My hiking partner & I tried to climb to Monroe via the Ammo in late December. The trail was not broken out and had several inches of snow. It was up to my knees in some areas. There was ice under the new snow. MSR Lightning Ascent snowshoes could not grip well enough on some of the steep sections, I can't say how many times I fell.

We met up with few guys on their way down who were wearing crampons. They only made it to Lakes of the Clouds and said even snowshoes would not help much - the snow was shoulder deep in some spots closer to the hut. We turned around about 1/4 a mile from the hut and I was happy we did. As I'm sure you know, sometimes you just can't get to a summit even if you have all the proper gear.

Good luck on your climb!

Not very encouraging. Hey, even a partial attempt is better than sitting home. Last time (only time) I did Monroe (not official winter) there was waist high drifts too as I recall. If there is no trail broke out I won't last long anyway. If I quit early I can always swing over to Lincoln and check on my adopted trail. Anyone no if there are many blow downs on Black Pond trail?
    Marvin from RI,

Forecast for the High Summits on SAT doesn't look very good. I've had Adams and Jefferson left on my 4k Winter list for awhile now and it seems like every day I've had a chance to get up there the forecast is for heavy cloud cover, snow and high winds. Was hoping to get Jefferson SAT but that looks to be out the window with the current forecast. Been a very disappointing Winter campaign for me. Hopefully you catch a break on one of the days.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 6/46

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    I do not recall any super steep sections that you could not get up wearing snowshoes.
    Dont forget the 6 or so ladder a little before you hit the tree line. The snow may or may not be drifted against the rock the ladder climbs.

I don't recall a ladder, but I usually hike when there is lots and lots of snow on the ground.

Going to be cold and windy on Saturday. Might only make it to tree line. Or try something smaller.

After all that, my dog sitter (AKA my daughter) bailed on me and I cant do Saturday or Monday If I had gone I was leaning toward switching to a long Carrigain hike to stay below tree line (mostly). Please post how you made out Fuzzy
    Last edited by 1SlowHiker; 03-17-2018 at 10:16 AM.
    Marvin from RI,

Not sure what the summits are like but looking at the Northern Presidentials earlier, I would guess socked in and very windy. Any summits on that ridge today are going to take a window of opportunity and some grit I imagine. Not today for me.

No ladders on Ammo Ravine trail by the way, but there's plenty steep enough for crampons in the mile between Gem Pool and LOTC.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life.
    We are but one thread within it.
    Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
    All things are bound together.
    All things connect.
    ~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~