Improving Hike Safe Card

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iAmKrzys

Reaction score
I bought a Hike Safe card last year. I'm pretty sure I have put in my e-mail address when filling out electronic form, yet I did not seem to have gotten any confirmation, or more importantly any reminder that it's time to renew for 2018. Perhaps I typed in my e-mail incorrectly but if not then not sending out reminders to renew would be a missed advertisement opportunity & potentially missed funding for SAR missions.

I also think the card should cover full year from the date of purchase. Otherwise potential buyers are disincentivized from buying the card late in the season, knowing that the card expires Dec 31st.

All good points (reminder and 12 month from purchase), you should write to someone and suggest this. Personally I did not receive a reminder but did get an email with a pdf of the card when I applied for a new one for 2018.

They dont issue a card, but you can download and print one.

I feel they dont seem to invest a lot of time in this program. Given their lack of staff I expect they mostly are putting out "fires".

The program is run just like the licensing for hunting or for fishing in every state in the union. A license is good for the calendar year. I doubt that will ever change.

The program is run just like the licensing for hunting or for fishing in every state in the union. A license is good for the calendar year. I doubt that will ever change.
Just a matter of getting in the rhythm of it.

Just hike safely and you don't need the card. It should be called a hike unsafely card, because that's what it allows.

And yeah, it bothers me that they don't use the adverb. If they wanted the adjective, just call it the 'safe hike' card. :)

It does sound a bit like a place where you lock up your backpack and boots....the hikesafe.

Considering the success of the program to date, I don't foresee changes. (If it ain't broke)

I did think email reminders were sent though, but I'm in my first year of the card, so can't verify. Check your spam folder?

Just hike safely and you don't need the card. It should be called a hike unsafely card, because that's what it allows.

I have all required gear and don't do anything reckless on my hikes. Yet I reasoned that not having to argue what constitutes negligence in case of some mishap was worth spending few bucks.

For example, when I started hiking up Mt. Monadnock there was a thunderstorm in the forecast for just about the same time I would reach the summit (I don't know what was the exact chance of that occurring.) Since I hiked anyways, was it an act of negligence? It's just that when you go for a multi-day solo hike it is hard to control and predict everything. I thought about buying the card just like I think about buying insurance even if it goes by a different name.

Ultimately my decision to buy the card came from wanting to help F&G with the rapidly increasing costs of S&R in NH. I'm not concerned about recklessness or negligence and the distinction between them and what the card covers and when at this point. Ideally I won't need to find out. I simply support the work of F&G who work cohesively with all the volunteers and look at this as one avenue of financial support. You can also donate directly to the NHOC who supports volunteer groups and federal agencies alike. Individual volunteer groups/other organizations also usually take donations. The following groups all take part in S&R in NH. It's not exhaustive. Support them. They provide a important service, often volunteering.

AVSAR
PVSART
MRS
Mt W volunteer ski patrol
MWO
SOLO
NE K9
WM Swiftwater rescue team
RMC
AMC
USFS
Parks and Rec

Linking to donation pages that I'm aware of for some of those organizations.

I finally gave up on the hikeSafe card really making sense and chose to view it, like Raven, as a means of support. But I also choose to give directly to some of the volunteer organizations.

Ultimately my decision to buy the card came from wanting to help F&G with the rapidly increasing costs of S&R in NH. I'm not concerned about recklessness or negligence and the distinction between them and what the card covers and when at this point. Ideally I won't need to find out. I simply support the work of F&G who work cohesively with all the volunteers and look at this as one avenue of financial support. You can also donate directly to the NHOC who supports volunteer groups and federal agencies alike. Individual volunteer groups/other organizations also usually take donations. The following groups all take part in S&R in NH. It's not exhaustive. Support them. They provide a important service, often volunteering.

AVSAR
PVSART
MRS
Mt W volunteer ski patrol
MWO
SOLO
NE K9
WM Swiftwater rescue team
RMC
AMC
USFS
Parks and Rec

Bought it for the first time this year because I agree with Raven's reasoning and wanted to support these people too. And I get the card as a bene.