N.E. Clean Power Connect in Maine - Should we care ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"The judge on Friday rejected an injunction by the New England Clean Energy Connect and said the case is on a “fast track” for a trial in April."

Thank goodness it is on the "fast" track (April 2023) and not proceeding at the normal pace.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Since the HQ project power is predominantly coming from idled natural gas plants, the HQ project definitely has a higher capacity factor, like all other fossil generation. Unfortunately fossil is not renewable which is the reason that Mass wanted the line to begin with. HQ has been asked multiple times to certify that the power in CPC will be from new hydro versus rebranded existing hydro backstopped with natural gas power and have refused. They are trying to lock up long term supply contracts with the US and then at some future date consider new hydro.

Looks like CMP won and the folks who long ago try to protect public lands from commercial development have lost. https://www.mainepublic.org/busines...-upholds-lease-for-cmp-corridor-on-state-land.
This has been an interesting thread to follow. Thank you for all the good info and links. Somewhat related was a piece done last night by Keith Carson whom is a Meteorologist for Channel 6 WCSH in Portland Maine. Although the project cited in the OP mostly benefits Massachusetts this article is more specific to Maine and the readiness of it’s grid. The power is going to have to come from somewhere. Interesting scenario although I have no firm numbers but it seems that many of the same folks who are pushing for electric cars are the same folks who are against expanding the grid because of a few trees. https://www.newscentermaine.com/art...ready/97-0325743c-9a53-4402-bff3-4fd0a4a74b31

If you look back to Percival Baxter, as a lawyer, politician and governor it was obvious that he did not trust politicians as during and prior to his era, the legislature's biggest goal was to distribute public lands to private interests. He wanted to protect the lands at BSP "forever" and his biggest concern was that after his passing that despite his statement of his objectives in the Deeds of Trust, subsequent legislatures could do what they pleased under state control. He also realized the "power of the purse" and knew that if he did not set up a long term funding source to fund operations that the legislature could attempt to take control under the auspices of using public money to operate the park. He spent 50 plus years working to try to set up a special purpose entity that would be hard to break his deeds of trust and created and endowment that funds about 60% of the parks budget (the public funds the rest by road fees and user fees)

Fast forward a less than decade from his death and conservationists has the same issue that the legislature was beholden far more to commercial businesses than the general public when the concept of preserving Mt Bigelow rather than turning it into a ski resort. Maine voters used the referendum process to force Maine Government to establish the Bureau of Public lands to preserve land for Maines future. Funds generated by the lands stayed in the BPL budget to try to decouple legislatiuve control. Attempts were Maine to keep these lands managed for the Maine people and set a high hurdle to the legislature to contravene the peoples wishes. It lasted through several administrations until former Governor LePage forced the BPL to start cutting trees to increase revenue well over prior management limits and ordered the money to be handed back to the state which was contrary to the original legislation. The public's memory is fleeting and as exhibited by this transaction, the bureaucracy has a convenient memory when it comes to helping out politically connected businesses. This in on both sides of the aisle.

Luckily, this route is somewhat out of sight/out of mind, maybe some group will take up further strengthening state law but given current policies in Washington, its looking like the FERC is going to be given fast track rights to put in gas and power lines so this may not be the last New England power or gas line built by multinationals under the guise of public benefit. Now the big question is will Mass extend the contract completion date, given the potential for power issues this winter I expect they will sign in heartbeat.

You get what you ask for !

So true. You get what you vote for. But voters seldom seem to grasp this. Of course, the CMP vote didn't cause this increase. New England uses lots of natural gas for power generation and the latest war in Europe doesn't help with prices. But, New York blocking any natural gas pipelines from PA to New England makes things worse as does the antiquated Jones Act regarding shipping natural gas by sea.

Last edited:
CPC has no relationship to power pricing in Maine. CMP is running it through a non regulated side of the business so any profits are not factored in when they go for a rate case. All the power carried by CPC is designated for Mass, Maine consumers do not get any of it. The only benefit to Maine is that a minscule portion of the profits will got to the state for consumer energy efficiency projects.

If someone wants to improve the natural gas availability in Maine just sign a firm contract with the PNGTS natural gas pipeline system that runs from the Quebec border to South Portland. When it was built they did not put in compressor stations in Maine or NH (to speed up construction). Put in compressor stations, and the capacity of the line increases 20 to 30%. The reason it has not been done is that the US natural gas industry has been trying for years to get more gas transmission into the region from the Marcelus region in PA. They have figured out that if they can make New England shiver enough that the pipelines will get built and someone will sign a firm gas price contract to pay for it.

CPC has no relationship to power pricing in Maine. CMP is running it through a non regulated side of the business so any profits are not factored in when they go for a rate case. All the power carried by CPC is designated for Mass, Maine consumers do not get any of it. The only benefit to Maine is that a minscule portion of the profits will got to the state for consumer energy efficiency projects.

If someone wants to improve the natural gas availability in Maine just sign a firm contract with the PNGTS natural gas pipeline system that runs from the Quebec border to South Portland. When it was built they did not put in compressor stations in Maine or NH (to speed up construction). Put in compressor stations, and the capacity of the line increases 20 to 30%. The reason it has not been done is that the US natural gas industry has been trying for years to get more gas transmission into the region from the Marcelus region in PA. They have figured out that if they can make New England shiver enough that the pipelines will get built and someone will sign a firm gas price contract to pay for it.

Who said that CPC affects power pricing in Maine? However, delivering electricity to the New England grid in MA should reduce the need for natural gas for power generation in that area. This should free up supplies for other areas including ME.

Why buy natural gas from Canada (which I believe comes all the way from Western Canada via Quebec) when it is available in PA? I would like to see some evidence of your claim that the "natural gas industry" is trying to freeze NE. NY is preventing the pipeline from being built. Maybe they should freeze Albany.

Finally, there must be a reason they have not increased the PNGTS natural gas pipeline efficiency other than that conspiracy theory. There are lots of groups that want to limit the amount of natural gas being shipped to NE, but I hardly think the industry is one of them. Here is one: (dated 2017 but I doubt they have changed their position.

https://www.sierraclub.org/maine/blog/2017/10/maine-does-not-need-natural-gas-pipeline-quebec

Last edited:
You must be confused, I am not against natural gas pipelines. The groups like Sierra Club are the ones against them. The natural gas industry are the ones that have been shot down multiple times trying to build them into the region. They are the ones that want New England to freeze a bit in hopes that the Federal Government steps in and fast tracks approval like had been promised to Senator Manchin for him to sign off on the Inflation Reduction Act. To date the future legislation has been stalled to put fast tracking in place.

I must have read into Richard's post "you get what you pay for" in response your post about big increases in Maine power rates that someone was linking the big Maine rate increases to CPC. Mass is really messing up the pricing in this regional market as they have a high renewable portfolio standard yet has a low percentage of generation in general with the loss of Yankee Rowe. They therefore need to buy renewable power from Maine and NH at whatever the market will charge. Yes CPC or the already approved VT project would pump more "renewable" into the pool but its far easier to just up US gas generation by supplying it gas then buying relabeled gas generation from HQ.

BTW PNGTS has gone out formally at least once for firm price customers to build the compressor stations with no interest.

You must be confused, I am not against natural gas pipelines. The groups like Sierra Club are the ones against them. The natural gas industry are the ones that have been shot down multiple times trying to build them into the region. They are the ones that want New England to freeze a bit in hopes that the Federal Government steps in and fast tracks approval like had been promised to Senator Manchin for him to sign off on the Inflation Reduction Act. To date the future legislation has been stalled to put fast tracking in place.

I must have read into Richard's post "you get what you pay for" in response your post about big increases in Maine power rates that someone was linking the big Maine rate increases to CPC. Mass is really messing up the pricing in this regional market as they have a high renewable portfolio standard yet has a low percentage of generation in general with the loss of Yankee Rowe. They therefore need to buy renewable power from Maine and NH at whatever the market will charge. Yes CPC or the already approved VT project would pump more "renewable" into the pool but its far easier to just up US gas generation by supplying it gas then buying relabeled gas generation from HQ.

BTW PNGTS has gone out formally at least once for firm price customers to build the compressor stations with no interest.

I never said (nor do I believe) that you were opposed to natural gas. Can't figure out how you arrived at that conclusion. I agree about just upping US gas generation. The US should never have to buy natural gas from any other country. And I understand about the relabeled gas generation from HQ.

Clean Power Connect is back in court this time for a jury trial to determine if CMP can proceed with it. Battle over western Maine power corridor moves to a jury trial this week

I think this last line summarizes it best Closing arguments are scheduled for April 19, but a ruling might not end the legal wrangling over the project. CMP and Hydro Quebec seem to have unlimited funds to fight for the project. Like Eversource with Northern Pass, they would not admit defeat until there was no other way of proceeding. Its likely all the money spent to date is sitting in a Construction Work in Progress account, those accounts sit outside the year to year bookkeeping and profit and loss statements. As long as the project is proceeding or could proceed, the CWIP remains outside the books but once the project is dead, the management have to take a write off of the total amount on that years profit and loss statement. Its major hit and usually heads roll or in corporate speak high level individuals elect to "retire" or pursue other opportunities.

That was the last major signficiant hurdle. The Maine supreme court has been friendly to the project in prior rulings so expect any appeal will not go anywhere. Interestingly the new Mass governor was opposed to project in her previous position.

I did read recently that VT is somewhat optimistic that the permitted project under Lake Champlain will find and investor.

The NH legislature is making moves to put any future projects under more politically controllable parties so expect a Northern Pass 2 will come up one of these days.

I live in Jackman ME and do a lot of hiking in areas which the corridor passes through. You really have to look for signs of it, so despite what many opponents say it’s not despoiling any natural beauty. They’re honestly doing a very good job of keeping it non-intrusive.

My problem with it is “what do Maine residents get out of it?” A few jobs that are temporary in nature, the company I work for got a little money renting some of our equipment to them, but what else? I don’t care whether the power actually enters the Maine grid, the availability of electricity isn’t even close to being a problem in Maine but the price sure is. How about charging the end user for every kW that comes down the corridor at a rate equal to CMP’s latest increase and rolling that back?

Also, who’s responsible for restoring power on the corridor when lines go down? CMP? Will it take precedence over local restoration of power? Great, we’ll (still) be paying for other people’s power in our bills.

It seems to me that this should be an area in which the Maine Supreme Court has no jurisdiction. They should be limited to ruling on matters of laws and rights. The PUC needs to be shaken up, as well. Has it ever rejected a rate increase? CMP can do like the rest of us have to do - get by on less when prices go up. WE don’t have an Employee Compensation Commission in our pockets that will force our employers to pay us more.

As far as I’m concerned MA can build its own power plants or just do without. Maybe they should have built a Mass Yankee.