Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: N.E. Clean Power Connect in Maine - Should we care ?

Responsive to the OP … I neither care nor don’t care.

Laid eyes on the Kibby Mountain wind project for the first time last weekend. Based on the hyperbole, I was expecting to be following wind mills from trailhead to summit as if they were cairns. Instead, I saw exactly one during the hike itself … and that was at the trailhead. Plenty of others were visible from paved Route 27 but you’re pretty much in the front-country at that point.

No harm. No foul.

[Click image for larger version. 

Name:	760934A7-2468-43F2-A361-4DD54DC622FC.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	6734

It’s all really about the hiking whether it has anything to do with it or not.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

^^^^^

Yes this is correct. Also known as “stay in your lane.”

If you use an internal combustion engine and travel hundreds of miles on interstate highways, secondary roads and logging roads to reach far flung trailheads near the Maine/Quebec border only to finish those last few miles on foot, then you are fully on board with the current state of things in the world.

Interesting thread though.

Dartmouth, Nova Scotia - Avatar: Lion Head trail
    Quote Originally Posted by Puma concolor View Post
    ^^^^^

Yes this is correct. Also known as “stay in your lane.”

If you use an internal combustion engine and travel hundreds of miles on interstate highways, secondary roads and logging roads to reach far flung trailheads near the Maine/Quebec border only to finish those last few miles on foot, then you are fully on board with the current state of things in the world.

Interesting thread though.
    In defence of Peakbagger, he does live where he hikes. I do agree that the vast majority of people think that we should do more to reduce GHG emissions, unless it affects them directly (then NIMBY takes over).

^^^^

Again, not disagreeing and no slight towards peakbagger was intended.

Based on my quick read of three and a half years worth of thread with lots of broken links, this was basically a project that would have generated clean Canadian-produced hydroelectric energy to New England via 145 miles of new transmission lines. Net effect would have been less dependence on oil based energy. Yet it was defeated - at least in part - due to local (statewide) environmental objection to the scar it would have left along the corridor. This in a state where logging is one of the chief industries. If not the chief industry.

As to my statement about traveling hundreds of miles to get to the area, that was more focused on myself and those like me who come from far away to hike some of these obscure NEHH and NEFF peaks along the border area. Would be highly hypocritical of us to object to something that makes sense on every level other than aesthetics.
    Last edited by Puma concolor; 11-20-2021 at 04:51 PM.

Yes most of my weekly hiking is quite close by. My new Toyota has 40 to 45 miles electric range and the game will be to see how many hikes I can do on the battery. I am definitely atypical in that I generate more power than I use with solar, cut my wood locally while during timberstand improvement for my wood boiler and haven't used heating oil for 5 years. Add in the latest acquisition and I can be off grid for many days if I need or want to Attachment 6735 . (its AC coupled so once I switch it over off grid my other solar systems do not even know that they are off grid). It will charge up the Toyota on a sunny day although with net metering I plug it in when its convenient for me. Change the rules around to give me an incentive to load shift and move my demands to a low demand period and I will do it.

It will be interesting to see how hikers and outdoor recreation will change with the hoped shift to low carbon. Even though it looks like the MBTA will be extended to Nashua and eventually Manchester I dont see the old rail routes to the whites being recreated in the near term . Luckily the old railroad right of ways are protected but the economics do not make sense. So if folks want to go the mountains to recreate they will be in electric vehicles and charge infrastructure is going to be needed. My guess is given the technological growth rate on batteries economical 500 mile range will be here soon and that will cover most folks rides to the mountains without even worrying about charging. Probably worth starting a thread on green hiking.

My understanding is that wood burning releases more CO2 than oil for the same amount of heat produced.

Quote Originally Posted by maineguy View Post
    My understanding is that wood burning releases more CO2 than oil for the same amount of heat produced.
    Naturally occurring forest fires also release CO2. Trees consume CO2. I think that's what Elton John's "Circle of Life" song was about?

Talk about the costs associated with the life cycles of EV batteries - initial manufacturing, recharging, disposal. They are nice for feeling good about ourselves but maybe not so nice in the big picture.

Lots of potential for even more thread drift.

Quote Originally Posted by OldEric View Post
    Talk about the costs associated with the life cycles of EV batteries - initial manufacturing, recharging, disposal. They are nice for feeling good about ourselves but maybe not so nice in the big picture.
    I would agree. We already have Yuka Mountain. As already mentioned in this thread a multi faceted approach rather than one linear approach is more realistic to solving the planetís energy concerns. We also have to realize an interdependent paradigm among States and Countries is inevitable which is where IMO The State of Maine is only failing themselves in this particular situation.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

And here I was thinking this was a thread about the proposed uglification of the mountainous Maine/Quebec border area where some of us like to hike.

An issue with electricity, as well as COVID and CO2, is that since you can't actually see it, it makes it easier for those with agendas to detrimentally fill in the blanks when pushing policy. Many don't understand the basics of electric generation, transmission, and consumption.

Solar and wind are intermittent sources of energy (solar is particularly limited with the minimal daylight this time of year). New England is one grid with relatively limited interconnection to New York and Canada. Since policy is driving the closure of baseload generation, the grid faces tremendous challenges as electricity consumption evolves (particularly if electric vehicles take over the automotive market). Without additional transmission, New England could be in a world of hurt if consumption increases and/or if baseload generation decreases.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket21 View Post
    An issue with electricity, as well as COVID and CO2, is that since you can't actually see it, it makes it easier for those with agendas to detrimentally fill in the blanks when pushing policy. Many don't understand the basics of electric generation, transmission, and consumption.

Solar and wind are intermittent sources of energy (solar is particularly limited with the minimal daylight this time of year). New England is one grid with relatively limited interconnection to New York and Canada. Since policy is driving the closure of baseload generation, the grid faces tremendous challenges as electricity consumption evolves (particularly if electric vehicles take over the automotive market). Without additional transmission, New England could be in a world of hurt if consumption increases and/or if baseload generation decreases.
    In a few years on this path, New England will, in fact, be in a world of hurt. We are watching some New England states commit "energy suicide." Folks there should stock up on down sleeping bags and candles, and learn how to treat hypothermia.

I don’t worry about the hype on either side. When Maine needs the energy it will find a way. True for all of us. Going to need nuclear at some point. Wind, solar and hydro won’t be sufficient to replace fossil fuels, and all have their problems as well. Less available energy will necessitate more conservation anyway.