Is Bushwhacking for you ??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvfvftt

Reaction score
Looking for a Bushwhacking partner ??

Please Let me know if you are interested

I am tired of Hiking the same old mountain over and over. Need to try something new

RVF 48/48, 67/67, 100/100, 48/W48, 111/111

You don't necessarily need to bushwhack to hike new stuff. :) There are tons of places to go with trails, and many of them (gasp) don't even reach any peaks. :cool:

Nothing wrong with solo bushwhacking. It sharpens up your navigation skills like nothing else (unless you use the "follow the beep" electronically assisted approach). Just make sure you carry a satellite beacon.

A general comment is bushwhacking is an acquired taste that many hikers do not acquire ;). My guess is 1 in 10 long term hikers at best may acquire the bug. The bummer is the "follow the beep" approach using published tracks has created unsigned trails on most of the 100 highest peaks. The remaining summits on the NH 100 list seem to be far less afflicted by this damage but I expect its just fewer folks going after the lists.

Work on your traditional navigation skills (map, compass and observational) and you won't ever reach for any otherwise unneeded external electronics for bail out. And, where ever you go, please do not leave a trail of colorful plastic flags as bread crumbs. Too many people do. I will only have to remove them as I pass by and follow your false trail.

Last edited:
I also encourage you to not let being a solo hiker prevent you from bushwhacking. I almost always backpack alone and going off trail for a couple of nights is very rewarding. My heart rate soars whenever I take those first steps beyond sight of a trail. Camping in the woods off trail still makes me feel like I am on a grand adventure into the wilderness. Silly I know, since you can almost always find indications that someone was there before you.

In addition to 2 maps and 2 compasses, I carry a PLB, GPS, and cell phone as well as a goodly amount of first aid items. I am the opposite of fast and light. :eek:

Link to two wonderful articles - http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/...agation-articles-traditional-and-gps-assisted

I recommend learning to navigate in the woods with a M&C using a relatively safe location before heading to the Whites; for example, a forest that is bounded by roads on all four sides. I used places like Mt Monadnock, Mt Wachusett, and the Quabinn Reservoir.

Some suggestions for easier destinations:
Black Pond BW on way to Owl's Head
Bear Pond
Whitewall summit
Camp Hedgehog

Last edited:
Finding a good bushwhack partner is tough. There has to be level of trust established which takes time and also a comfort level on when its time turn around. I don't know if I would consider anyone an "official" partner until we have mutually agreed a few times that its good time to turn around on a hike short of a summit which can go against the "press on regardless" approach some folks who do lists acquire. Given that I rarely do an out an back, the old and bold comment that there are old climbers and bold climbers but not a lot of old and bold climbers applies as one never knows when the stuff will hit the fan on the way out via a different route

Another observation I have found is few can pull off a truly collaborative group bushwhack (more than two people). Inevitably larger groups tend to turn into "follow the leader" hikes or even worse a "second guessing" hike where one in the group wont lead but will be second guessing the chosen route. I find that follow the leader folks tend to get discouraged when they are not invested in the route planning and this can lead to "mutinys" on occasion when the going gets tough.

When on trail or not, I would never go on a trek by blindly "following the leader", and I teach my land nav students they should not either. Nothing worse than staring at the back of the boots of the person immediately in front of you for mile after mile. I go by: "if you are not the lead dog, then every view is the same". Even when following on a trail (and especially when off trail), I note: do I expect to make a turn here, does the creek bend here, is this stream or ravine crossing when and where expected. Whenever I am not the leader in a train of hikers, then I am also navigating on my own by observing the terrain with the map, and frequently checking direction by map and/or compass to be sure all is correct. What if the "leader" is more optimistic about their skills than he or she should be, or what if they become injured or otherwise are unable to continue leading? Could anyone else lead from any given point in the trek? When visible should I expect to see that hill or waterway in the distance?. All doubly important questions to answer when bushwhacking off trail.

Honestly, I prefer to be in instructional mode in such a group. When training my students (or anyone else willing to learn) I am following along at the end of the line, monitoring and noting each step and turn made by the lead navigator, then debriefing as needed as we go. Making mistakes is ok and they will happen. Unless safety is an issue I let mistakes play out until discovered by the students. That's the best way to learn and the way I taught myself long ago.

Last edited:
Like PB says maybe 5-10% hikers have bug for bushwhacking and it appears to me majority of the 5-10% bushwhackers focus on lists like NH100 etc. Lists are fine for some, but not for me. I'm generally interested in ledge outcrops with good views not necessarily a list peak. I have some special places I like to re-visit which I prefer to keep secret. It can be hard finding partners with right blend of interests, work schedules, family commitments. One guy is retired and another works weekends ...... I guess that is why lists can be good for some. You get might develop a small group of friends all working on same list and stuff happens more readily. I don't have much spare time so I can't devote much time to venturing to far from my base camp in Plymouth NH. I like to explore a valley and make multiple trips into it. One of my projects for this year is exploring south slope of Osceola would like to visit a big slide or find and follow old road used to go up Breadtray Ridge. I do carry Inreach device which I use to report my position to my wife. I used to carry Spot, but I find Inreach works better for me. I would venture more boldly if I could find partners who matched my interests etc. There are many local terrain features that make nice starter bushwhacks like Cape Horn. You can go to many nice places most of way by trail and coupling 0.5 or 0.75 mile bushwhack also nice way to get your feet wet.

I rarely post, but I have to chime in and agree with everything @Nessmuk and @peakbagger said. I would also add that you should understand your comfort level. Know when it’s okay to push that boundary and when you should bail. When you plan a route, know your exit strategies for any point during the trip. I’m a habitual, solo bushwhacker. I’ve come to prefer it over trail hiking. Knowing when to quit is important if you are alone. Over this winter, there were at least three times I felt I needed to quit. I was upset with myself in the short term, but I’m alive. When I do bushwhack in a group, I only invite a small number of trusted people - 2 or 3. I like having people rotate in and out of the lead position to avoid people feeling left out of the process.

I find it nice to have 2 or 3 in group. The leader can then concentrate on finding clear route to follow and persons in back can watch the compass or map or GPS and say Hey you're off course. You need to work right or left. You can make better time that way. It is nice to have someone to share the pain with when things get a little thick. Switching in and out of lead position allows everyone to take break from leading, relax and re-charge.

This is a great thread.
I love to bushwhack. When you have open woods, why would you not? if you've never gone from West Bond down to Franconia Brook, it really is your loss.
I grew up in the south where we have lots of woods, so we got map and compass/orienteering along with hunter safety as early as 6th grade P.E.
I'm of the mindset that if you injure yourself on a bushwhack, there's nobody to save you but yourself.
I prepare for every possibility, and while I move at a slower pace with a bigger pack, I know I can survive any situation... same philosophy as winter hiking.
On that note, it seems every bushwhacker I've met lives for winter hiking, and bushwhacks in the summer to kill time until the first snow.

Great advice and tips from all thank you.

I do love Bushwhacking the adventure the challenge the knowledge that you are 100% on your own.
The only way you will prevailed is good planning, patience and keeping your wits about you.
Its exciting, scary and fun I love it
Regards Rich Farrell

What everyone ^^ said.

Would add that while map & compass skills are essential, some of us choose to use our techie toys because they are fun. I love recording tracks on my bushwhacks (but don’t publicly post them).

On that note, thank you, AlpineBee. While I love reading about your adventures, I applaud your discretion in posting. Really cringe when, for example, folks visit a special place such as Bear Pond and feel compelled to tell the world. :mad:

By the way, in my traditional land nav training course, use of GPS as a crutch is forbidden by students and myself during the field trek test portion. During a guide leader training trek, as certification for a summer leadership job, I failed one student "leader" for sneaking using a GPS. If you really want to learn to use a GPS, I will show you separately, but not during your certification skills test. Best to learn by doing and learning from correcting mistakes first. I teach a separate training course dedicated to use of GPS in conjunction with traditional methods, primarily designed for LE and SAR team members.

Last edited:
Really cringe when, for example, folks visit a special place such as Bear Pond and feel compelled to tell the world. :mad:
I suspect that in the era of ever-spying smartphones and companies collecting location data from them there are probably very few (if any) truly secret places left around.

You raise two good points in the initial post:

1. A hiking partner for bushwhacking - An experienced hiking partner can teach you a lot if they have reasonable leadership experience and are willing to teach you rather than simply lead the way. You have a lot of experience yourself but consider that many of the bushwhacks are really well worn herd paths and I think virtually all those lists have detailed explanations available as well as GPS tracks. So bushwhacking lesser peaks, even those on some less popular list, can be an interesting and often challenging experience. I don't bushwhack for the pure sake of bushwhacking but I'm surprised at how many routine hikes incorporate bushwhacks for me for a few reasons; a shortcut, a diversion to a view or other geological point of interest, following game tracks, or just for a change of pace. I use map and compass (and a crude altimeter) and I do prefer to hike with companions as misery loves company, there is safety in numbers and mostly just the joy of sharing a joy.

2. If the same old mountains are boring you there are several antidotes such as 1) redlining existing geographical destinations, 2) starting new lists such as the NH 100 (I feel liberated from lists but the truth is I got lists going from Audubon sanctuaries to state parks ... Baxter being one of them ... and national parks and hardly expect to complete all of them ... and that's not counting my kayaking lists!), 3) section or through hiking various trails not necessarily covered in your peakbagging lists, 4) expanding your geography (Carlton Provincial Park in NB, Parc de la Gaspesie in Quebec and Gros Morne in Newfoundland top my list of comparatively nearby favorites.

Really cringe when, for example, folks visit a special place such as Bear Pond and feel compelled to tell the world. :mad:

I can agree with specific tracks but have no problem with photos. If someone else wants to put the work in and walk 18 miles of railgrade they deserve to visit it to. Heat maps have ruined pretty much every route in the Whites anyways.

Heat Maps only ruined the routes and locations that people cared to "publish". It does draw attention to spots that some folks may prefer not get attention but I am not aware of method of directly downloading a file into a GPS and "following the beep". With trepidation I looked carefully at a particular very prominent viewpoint that Steve Smith has published photos of in the past and thankfully there are no routes shown. Its pretty simple, if folks don't want routes revealed, don't publish the tracks

I consider the Heat Map routes that were revealed just a high tech extension of the old xeroxed set of hints to the NE100 highest that the 4000 footer committee published.

There are still plenty of spots "off the grid" to visit. I expect there are some folks that scour Google Earth looking for ledges and rock outcroppings for possible destinations. Given the long term trend of the FS abandoning trails and tearing out bridges, I expect that the more remote areas of the whites will get abandoned as access gets more difficult.

Bear Pond is an interesting example, the public web didnt exist when Dan Doane published his book describing the hike. I have heard it was controversial but expect the controversy would have been on rec.backcountry with a far smaller audience.

What everyone ^^ said.

Would add that while map & compass skills are essential, some of us choose to use our techie toys because they are fun. I love recording tracks on my bushwhacks (but don’t publicly post them).

On that note, thank you, AlpineBee. While I love reading about your adventures, I applaud your discretion in posting. Really cringe when, for example, folks visit a special place such as Bear Pond and feel compelled to tell the world. :mad:
At one point the board members here agreed to keeping GPS tracks out of the public forums on this board and to only share via PM’s. Not sure if that is still the case. Did Stinkyfeet turn into a Snowflea?

Heat Maps only ruined the routes and locations that people cared to "publish".

I was under the impression that for some devices, tracks were uploaded automatically, with the only notice that this was happening being on page 14 of the 20 page "terms and conditions" that no one reads that you need to agree to in order to get the device to work.

I'd like it very much if I were wrong about this.

TomK