Mt Equinox in Vermont

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
Interested in climbing Mt Equinox in VT and was curious about what the "traditional" route is, road access, etc. I don't have maps yet or a guide for that area. The CalTopo layer shows a cool looking trail that follows the spine of the North ridge to summit but the trail is unnamed and appears to start on dirt/4WD roads. Curious about Spring access with mud/snow, parking and Vermont's trail closings during mud season. Any info on the summit would be appreciated.

jfb linked the traditional approach from the east. When I was there, paper copies of the map were available at the trailhead but I had already sent in a couple of bucks to get one in the mail. It's a lovely area to wander in and the blue trail is very easy until just above the last junction, then it turns into a more typical New England trail. I didn't get out to Lookout Rock but the view from the summit as the sun was setting, filling the valley with light, is one of my favorite memories from the NEHH. (Actually that whole trip was something of a story!)

jfb linked the traditional approach from the east. When I was there, paper copies of the map were available at the trailhead but I had already sent in a couple of bucks to get one in the mail. It's a lovely area to wander in and the blue trail is very easy until just above the last junction, then it turns into a more typical New England trail. I didn't get out to Lookout Rock but the view from the summit as the sun was setting, filling the valley with light, is one of my favorite memories from the NEHH. (Actually that whole trip was something of a story!)

You should definitely go out to Lookout Rock it has wonderful view of valley. Also has interesting brass plaque dedicated to someones beloved hound named Cuba.

The traditional route is less than breathtaking and a long day trip for just this hike. One overnight and you can also hike Dorset ... which, except for the access roads, I also found less than breathtaking though at the time a bit of a challenge to find the summit register.

Many years ago a friend and I dayhiked Stratton and Equinox from Gorham NH on the same day (more driving than hiking). To make it more "interesting" we did it at the peak of the fall leaf season when the roads were clogged with leaf peepers. We hiked the Burr and Burton trail from the academy. We did Equinox in the AM and it was in the clouds near the summit. I don't remember the trail as anything particularly special.

Back in the late 70’s early 80’s there use to be a Hotel up there. Is that still around or long ago closed?

The old hotel got replaced several years ago with a new viewing center tied in with the autoroad up the mountain. I havent been there since the new building went in. The old hotel was looking pretty ratty 25 years ago. Surprised it didnt go up in blaze of fire one day.

Also has interesting brass plaque dedicated to someones beloved hound named Cuba.

I thought that was very odd that they'd allow that.

LyQ8y5PParLOCEK6IoTWtPbOJuZh_be4BHCRdKWvx3IsvS65ix3v0fv1ty53xFArfmo30BQpP8DJ4-HZpJzWoN92osZFBL1t3lxJVs17wbJAQS-Ly5vvt24CFiI4YC-6_SeMqBz9uPRdvVRgcVrhmhCVabwHIr-FvOo_KnyRAt_XdwD34Keb_OEPoEWPalst3vZqYzbTXrGcsUBAKPqmcVP8T15h-eAEif7QmnSQeRbsb1VdjE_1AYKitGK-6mG0sFP35SIebSvwgFP4FcLSVmwbjMTLDmzREjXeevOP-abnC0XEel615JLsarv4qGQ42zoyXMoZqt1S3vHkfWycHk5KZfXH35BA51gcTpcN0GcCXLmJJgn_DFUlODOknVEwbfUk88-4ByKyDZs4jv-GTfiEG5lKhkJAEjKT_j-SQ5aGA3JK6Qk3yNhnEwtOT_9BI_wXfV7xP2_Qswj2Z-4lKuTctuNOeIRJGZNjBt_ayR-Wy4q7AXKvjVNU8upDPNYJwjXLqnm2wSx8P1kjRfVCGgYEljt1TOzLAmLHAPS9NKcLuI_Yz--vL7i96k5wnV-WEVayBgfvU3qFGxbYNtRloPWHNyxhexiIPo7oeDt7=w900-h650-no

25 years, 35 years, you guys are old. I was just there...... in 1994, that would just be.... Never mind.

It was ratty then too. I remember the dirt road that the Burr and Burton used in parts was pretty steep in places, well steep for a road.

The building was a bit worn out, but the people who ran the hotel were very nice. One year (about I don't know maybe 20 years ago) a group of friends and I did a mountain bike traverse in the afternoon and evening, in early May before the Skyline Drive opened. We road up from West Sand Lake on dirt roads, then hopped onto the Drive and ground the rest of the way to the summit. It was cold and miserable. The folks at the hotel were just starting to do the work for the Spring opening, and they invited us in and made hot tea for us. It was wonderful! Then we rode down past Lookout Rock and on down to the col between Equinox and Mother Myrick, and then down the dirt roads back to the car. Great trip!