Bushwhacking & Bears

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvfvftt

Reaction score
I hiked Mt Cilley in Woodstock yesterday 4/21/18 it was a nice hike.

I parked on Rt 3 as the Mt Cilley road was steep & muddy after ¼ mile I passed a house and the road became covered with two to three inches of snow. The road was virgin no human or animal footprints, it was really beautiful. This trail was apparently an old road leading to a town in the 1840’s no problem walking on it impossible to get lost. At 1.9 miles turned left and entered the woods bearing 206 degrees. It was a nice sunny 1.2 mile walk to the summit, brush was very open until the very top, will be harder when the trees are full. The very top was cluttered so I walked around to make sure I found the height of Land. No canister So I had my snack and headed back to the truck. 6.1 miles rt took 3 hours.

At Just over 1 mile on the way In I saw what I believe to be bear footprints crossing the road. I am not sure but they certainly look like them. That Is usually the last thing I worry about but I was alone so it definitely got my full attention. I will try to post the picture. Bear footprint
RVF

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JoRKVvDVVhgHp41k-NaSs3ICwpTm6zle/view?usp=sharing

Attachments

• Bear footprint.jpg
    Bear footprint.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 269
I hiked Mt Cilley in Woodstock yesterday 4/21/18 it was a nice hike.

I parked on Rt 3 as the Mt Cilley road was steep & muddy after ¼ mile I passed a house and the road became covered with two to three inches of snow. The road was virgin no human or animal footprints, it was really beautiful. This trail was apparently an old road leading to a town in the 1840’s no problem walking on it impossible to get lost. At 1.9 miles turned left and entered the woods bearing 206 degrees. It was a nice sunny 1.2 mile walk to the summit, brush was very open until the very top, will be harder when the trees are full. The very top was cluttered so I walked around to make sure I found the height of Land. No canister So I had my snack and headed back to the truck. 6.1 miles rt took 3 hours.

At Just over 1 mile on the way In I saw what I believe to be bear footprints crossing the road. I am not sure but they certainly look like them. That Is usually the last thing I worry about but I was alone so it definitely got my full attention. I will try to post the picture. Bear footprint
RVF

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JoRKVvDVVhgHp41k-NaSs3ICwpTm6zle/view?usp=sharing

For me, the pattern of the foot prints makes it easy to tell if it is a bear, with the distinct 2/2 combination.

We saw some tracks on the Osseo trail on Sunday and I also saw a bear on the side of RT3 driving home near five corner in Bethlehem. Bears don't want to mess with people and will take off with their cubs if they hear anyone approaching. I run into them on my AT boundary section on occasion. My only defense is I have my ACR whistle around my neck as I find that with most wild animals that if you give them a toot, they usually realize I am not a creature they normally encounter in the woods and they run away quickly.

Its tough time of year for the bears, the daylight has brought them out of their dens but the late snow means the food supply is minimal. I expect a lot of sows with cubs will be moving closer to town and there will be a lot of unfortunate bear/people interactions.

Did a Presi Traverse yesterday and saw bear tracks between Franklin and Eisenhower. Second time I have seen bear tracks in that area area. 4500 feet!

You will see a lot more tracks than bears. I would not worry too much, but there are a few reports of aggressive bears in the Whites. Just remember who is in charge...