Leki Trekking Poles

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torn&frayed

Reaction score
I bought new poles for the first time in many years. Leki Corklite. I loved them (and the design of the locks) on my first hike - South Carter. But on my second hike - Monroe - the lock on one of the poles failed time after time when I put my full weight on them during the decent. Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail is a bit steeper than Carter Dome Trail! So I returned them for a new set of the identical model. Has anyone else had issues with the locks on Leki poles?

One of my Leki poles failed. But, not the quick lock kind. The twist lock. Leki “Cristalo”.

Did you try adjusting the screw on the flick lock clamp? Turn clockwise to increase clamping force. If you turn it too far clockwise it won't close or will take too much force to close the flick lock. play with until you achieve the right amount of clamp force.

I have Cristalos with the flick lock, and it does require adjusting to get them to clamp just right. They don't stay all the time, and the flick levers are fragile. I broke one today, in fact. Luckily, Leki is very good about replacement parts if they break (not not if they are just worn out.)

Tim

I have Cristalos with the flick lock, and it does require adjusting to get them to clamp just right. They don't stay all the time, and the flick levers are fragile. I broke one today, in fact. Luckily, Leki is very good about replacement parts if they break (not not if they are just worn out.)

Tim

I use my car key as a Phillips Head on trail to adjust the tightness of mine. I had to tighten one today actually.

The Corklits don't have the same diameter as the older ones...they are 16mm 14mm 12mm the older common ones were 18mm 16mm 14mm ..

I would not buy Carbon types..being my size and the way I use them.. but with Leki's Aluminum ..The poles aren't as wide diameter as before.. I just ordered a set of Khumba's from Germany.. be in today actually...they are made like the old Super Makalu poles..the 3 section Aluminum ..18mm 16mm 14mm vs alot of the newer Leki Aluminum's at 16mm 14mm 12mm.. They will be bringing in the Khumbas in 2019.. I couldn't wait.. my Super Makalus are worn down at the handle tops.

I don't like the flip locks..don't trust them but never had them so I'll try..besides can't get the heavier poles with out them now .. always had good luck with the twist lock type since they redesigned them back when. One has to know how they work to have proper results locking and adjusting them thou.

I haven't tried the Leki poles with flick lock. I've had nothing but good luck with Black Diamond flick locks. Flick locks work well in winter with gloves on. I wish they would make wrist straps longer as straps aren't long enough to accommodate heavy mittens or gloves when it get's really cold or windy above treeline.

The Corklites don't have the same diameter as the older ones...they are 16mm 14mm 12mm the older common ones were 18mm 16mm 14mm .. I would return them and wait until January.. Leki told me they'll have out the heavy duty models then... now available in Germany. Buy a used set of Super Makalus off ebay for now.

I would not buy Carbon types..being my size and the way I use them.. but with Leki's Aluminum ..The poles aren't as wide diameter as before.. I just ordered a set of Khumba's from Germany.. be in today actually...they are made like the old Super Makalu poles..the 3 section Aluminum ..18mm 16mm 14mm vs alot of the newer Leki Aluminum's at 16mm 14mm 12mm.. They will be bringing in the Khumbas in 2019.. I couldn't wait.. my Super Makalus are worn down at the handle tops.

I don't like the flip locks..don't trust them but never had them so I'll try..besides can't get the heavier poles with out them now .. always had good luck with the twist lock type since they redesigned them back when. One has to know how they work to have proper results locking and adjusting them thou.

These are the current model of the Khumba's coming in January for Leki USA 2019.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/352329643504?ul_noapp=true

Last edited:
Thanks everybody. It looks like I should have asked for advice before I traded them in as "defective". I never thought to try adjusting the tension of the locks.

I haven't tried the Leki poles with flick lock. I've had nothing but good luck with Black Diamond flick locks. Flick locks work well in winter with gloves on. I wish they would make wrist straps longer as straps aren't long enough to accommodate heavy mittens or gloves when it get's really cold or windy above treeline.

Totally agree. I have beat the living crap out of my Black Diamond Flick Locks and regularly put my full 230 lb body weight on them and have never had a problem. Relied heavily on them with a broken ankle many years back (to a dangerous degree really out of necessity) and they never slipped. Never had to adjust the screws on my first pair at all. On my newer pair that I bought last year I did have some minor slipping but adjusted the screw and it eliminated it. I will say my more recent pair seems somewhat lower quality but still a great pole.

I used Leki for years, never had a problem, though that was pre flicklock. Black Diamond came out with flick lock so I bought them. Mine are about ten years old, absolutely flawless performance. Not one failure and I have only had to adjust the screw once on one pole.

My first set of trekking poles were made of aluminium with a twist lock. They worked ok until the lock on one of them froze in place and I could not collapse it any more. Since that became cumbersome I bought lighter carbon fiber poles with flip locks and no problems so far over last 5 years or so.

My first set of trekking poles were made of aluminium with a twist lock. They worked ok until the lock on one of them froze in place and I could not collapse it any more. Since that became cumbersome I bought lighter carbon fiber poles with flip locks and no problems so far over last 5 years or so.
I've had 2 pairs of Leki twist lock poles for over 20 years. All they have needed is an occasional cleaning (with a long thin brush) and a tiny dab of silicone grease (or vaseline) on the expansion screw. (You do not want the grease to get on the outside of the expansion nuts or the inside of the tubes.) They have worked flawlessly for me.

Doug

I got a deal on Makula classics last year from a close out place. I planned on ordering one pair and they sent me two pairs so I am set for awhile. That said I have been using Leki twist locks since around the early 90s and that includes about 90% of my AT thru hike (done mostly over 10 years) I have worn out/damaged around 3 pairs over the years and replaced numerous carbide tips. The twist locks have never been a major issue although when I switch to a larger diameter snow basket in winter they tend to loosen up a bit more often. I frequently carry my poles on straights so I just twist the joints on the poles before heading down. On one pair the rubber handgrips effectively dissolved probably related to using DEET. I mix and match parts but usually at some point I bend a lower pole and eventually I run out of them. I can usually get them straight if its minor bend but I perceive that once there is minor bend its going to bend again at the same place. I have only catastrophically bent one lower pole where it crimped. There is a secondary failure point that few people ever see where the threaded shaft is in an aluminum extrusion that is shrunk fit into the aluminum tube. Eventually over many miles this joint loosens up and the extrusion starts moving and slowly wears out the pole inner diameter. I have gotten a few more years by injecting epoxy into the gap but eventually the tube wall thins too much. I have never replaced a nylon expansion insert. I make sure to disassemble the poles especially when wet as storage of collapsed poles when wet will encourage aluminum corrosion that forms a slippery film on the inside of the tube. I have never cleaned the inside of the tubes although I agree with Doug that its a good idea.

Yes there is some sort of lifetime guarantee but I don't use it as I get far beyond what I consider reasonable life on my poles.

One basic physics principle which doesn't change is outer diameter pretty well determines how strong the shaft is going to be. The shaft material is a minor contributor compared to the diameter. If you want a beefy pole go with a larger diameter. Carbon fiber may not permanently bend as quickly as aluminum but its still going to elastically bend based on its outer diameter.

Another Leki fan.

Apologies for the thread drift, but Torn and Frayed is a great tune (assuming that's where you got your user name from).

I use my car key as a Phillips Head on trail to adjust the tightness of mine. I had to tighten one today actually.

I do some gear testing for MSR and the new Dynalocks have the adjustment mechanism built right into the flick lock. It's so nice not to have to carry my Leatherman anymore!

I got the Khumba's from Germany yesterday.. Happy with the 18mm 16mm 14mm sections vs the 16mm 14mm 12mm on the Corklites.

The rep at Leki told me I wasn't the only one complaining about the thinner poles they had now and the Trigger S system they would install so they are bringing in the Europe style to USA in January 2019 called Khumba DS...

With these Khumba's I like the handles more then the Super Makalu I had when the wheel would dig into my hands..and the handles were on the smaller side .. these have the larger smooth head on them similar to styles now made by Leki. And easier to adjust straps. One thing I don't like or I'm Leary of is the quick release's.. I know they'll be catching in rock crevices,etc. .. if I can get new parts then fine..