Parking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rup

Reaction score
Heading to ADKs for first time in awhile. I remember posts in past about crowds and consequent parking overflows at trail heads. What's the latest news / regs / advice???

They haven't screwed anything up too badly yet.

For better advice, name specific locations...

Cascade and Porter (and Pitchoff) lots are now lined, in an attempt to (my assumption) limit parking to designated areas. Giant, the AMR lots, the Garden (which does have a shuttle), and the Loj are also very popular areas. The best advice is to go on a weekday or get a very early start.

Last edited:
Latest DEC report says they will begin serious ticketing campaigns at overflowing parking lots. Holiday weekend last year they counted over 700 cars parked in an area with about 350 legal spots. If you are outside the lines at the new lots (which also include Chapel Pond and Roaring Brook) you are liable to get a ticket.

Very sad, and stunningly stupid. A PR and safety disaster in the making, by the idiot government we pay for. And still NOTHING for trail maintenance, better bathrooms, more rangers, trailhead education, etc. Like I said, very sad. I can only hope that the harm is not as bad as I expect it to be...

It's unfortunate that NYS is not spending even a small amount of tourist money on bathrooms, rangers, etc. Don't expect we'll see that unless there is a huge outcry.

I was in Keene Valley over the weekend. The Garden was filled at 6:15 AM. There was overflow parking at the end of the road.

Ausable Rd parking in St. Huberts had plenty of room at 6:30 AM.

There was plenty of roadside parking at Giant / Rocky peak.

Overnight camping at the trailheads is not permitted. Get there early or plan on using the shuttle from Marcy field.

All lots had port-a-potties available

They have striped and are about to enforce parking. Lot's of safety complaints about cars parked along NY73, and people are pooping everywhere along the trail or just off. Read some of the FB hiking forums and hair on fire complaints about the impending regulations.

In my opinion the next step is a permit system. DEC is already experimenting with that in the Catskills.

Last edited:
Would Permits allow you to show up late and guarantee you a parking spot? How are the Facebook groups doing outside of summer? Most of us know there is no such thing as a "hiking" season outside of the Greens and High Peaks rules during Mud Season. We laughed when people thought the season ended after Columbus Day.

There may end up being a season soon, start on Columbus Day and end when the bugs start to slow down. Appears that bugs do keep some hikers away.

The only permit so far is for one swimming hole in the Catskills. DEC is afraid to do anything that would slow down the governor's campaign to bring in visitors. I think permits are on the horizon but down the road.

Yes, everyone is lining up to salute the flag that this is such a good idea. But if you stay away from the one or two areas where they are about to implement this cluster, you'll be fine. Just avoid the Roaring Brook / Chapel Pond corridor, and avoid Cascade Pass. It's easy to go around these areas on your way to come great destinations. Just study the road map.

(Sad that I am a resident of a town that's dependent on tourism, and here I am advising tourists to avoid my town...)

They do need either more parking or additional access. The lots have not been improved since when? The list of other hikes isn't close to the same type of hike you get in that area. The 9N trip to Rocky Peak and Giant is classic and quite a bit more of elevation gain. The Crow lot is pretty busy already.

I wouldn't try to get into The Garden on a Friday afternoon or a Saturday. Seems that by 10:00, everything is booked. Can we start a rumor that scenic pictures are out of style on Instagram and FB, everyone would much rather see your lunch or dinner plate at (insert restaurant name here)

Currently I can't get my teens out early enough to beat the traffic, however, so far they don't pay the price yet. Next year, they can drop us off at the trailhead finally and they can walk the additional mile from the overflow lot....

They do need either more parking or additional access. The lots have not been improved since when?

Most lots were designed the way they are now in the 70's as a means to control backcountry crowding, along with making it illegal to park along roads. This was later addressed in subsequent UMPs as having been ineffective. The parking bans were never enforced and it was very quickly realized that counting cars isn't an accurate means to determine backcountry usage.

I've always been a big advocate of "if you can't get there really early, get there really late." If you're up for the challenge of sunset summits, you'll find parking is much easier to deal with once the early risers have cleared the trails.

Last edited:
...This was later addressed in subsequent UMPs as having been ineffective. The parking bans were never enforced and it was very quickly realized that counting cars isn't an accurate means to determine backcountry usage.

This is correct, and of course the inadequate parking is ineffective in reducing usage. All it does is create safety hazards, and headaches for the local communities.

But here they come to try it again, even though it has been proven stupid repeatedly. Very unfortunate (and textbook) management failure. And sadly, they have their cheerleaders in the local "green" groups.

Got a sence of how small some of these lots are. Weather wasn't the best for a long hike but I did go up to Roaring Brook Falls. I was lucky enough to get the last spot at Giant Mountain Trail-Head. In the few minutes it took to get ready for the short hike, several cars entered and had to leave. It also looks like it's a new no parking along 73 in that area.

Due to a stress fracture in my son's foot, a topic for me in 2019. Do I try and get 15 and 16 year old boys up early or pick a very remote area where a 10:00 start will have parking available?