Presidential Range Question(s)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lumberzac

Reaction score
I’m thinking about doing a Presidential Range Travers this summer and wanted to get some info. My plan is to do this as a two-day backpack from Crawfords Notch along the AT to Mount Madison. From Mount Madison, follow the Daniel Webster Trail down Route 16. This trek would probably mean a stay at Lake of the Clouds Hut. I’ve never hiked in New Hampshire before, so I’m not clear on how the huts work. I’ve checked out the AMC’s lodging page and it lists two separate rates, one for Full Service and one for Self Service. Does the Lake of the Clouds Hut allow you to stay as Self Service? If not, I don’t want to pay $85 just for a place to spend the night, so is there some place else where I could camp?
Thanks in advance.

Lake of the Clouds doesn't have a self-service option so you would have to pay the $85 (you will get a great dinner too.) However, there is a nice alternative if you don't mind an extra miles on your first day. If you head over to Thunderstorm Junciton and down the Spur Trail, you can head down to Crag Camp -- which is run by the Randolph Mountain Club. It has fantastic views of King Ravine & is essentially a self-service hut. You'll need a sleeping bag and stove but it's only $10 a night. You will have a steep mile climb back up to Mt. Adams in the morning, but it's worth it in my opinion.

The only crimp in that plan is if you arrive particularly late in the day, all of the bunks at Crag could be taken. There are alternatives -- Gray Knob (which is similar) is just a half-mile away but obviously it will entail more hiking on an already long day. (Or you could consider doing the trip in the reverse direction.)

Hope that helps,

-Ivy

Lakes never operates self-service. It's always full service, and it's the most popular hut so it fills up nearly every weekend in the summer. If you want to stay there, get your reservation in early.

There are a few options, however. In the basement of Lakes is a small, fetid, hiker refuge know as the Dungeon. It sleeps 6 and it was possible in the past to reserve up to two spots up to 48 hours in advance. Call Pinkham to find out if they are still running the reservation that way. I wouldn't choose that for myself, as the Dungeon is a grim place that holds little appeal for me.

You can do the Traverse from the north, and spend the night at the Perch. That's an RMC shelter and tent platforms below Edmands Col. It's a long day from there to Crawford, but it can be done if you start early and keep walking. A slightly longer day would be to stay at Crag Camp or Gray Knob, two RMC cabins below Mt Adams. That way you wouldn't have to carry a tent, but you'd still need a sleeping bag. Day 2 would be longer, but still within striking distance.

Any other approach would have you carrying a tent and dropping down off the ridge, probably something you are trying to avoid.

-dave-

poison ivy said:
pay the $85 -Ivy

WTF!? Haha, I had no idea -- I think I've told people recently that they could stay at Clouds for $25/night. Where did I get that figure from?

Dalraida: is that what they charged in the 20's, back when you were a youngster? :p

Seriously, I'm glad I know this now. I like to look at Lake in the Clouds Hut when I walk by it but I've never really thought about staying there. I'm not Mister Money Bags anyhow!

-Dr. Wu

PS. If Tom (Dalraida) is reading this, he can tell you how to find Emily Klug's cave which I believe is near the summit of Little Monroe, just a skip's throw away from Cloud Hut.

Last edited:
There isn't much that's convenient for doing it in two days.
Since you're planning on coming up from the South, you'll have to decide whether you want to walk all the way to Mt Adams (where there are a handful of RMC shelters & campsites, such as Crag Camp) in one day. Another option is to stop at Mt Pierce, in the Nauman Tentsite next to Mizpah hut (this leaves basically the entire range for the second day). There are also some campsites on the east slopes Mt Washington (Tuckerman ravine), but these entail large and steep elevation loss.
In the summer, all of the AMC huts are full-service. Reservations are required. All of the AMC campsites are first-come-first-served, and fill up very quickly. Backcountry camping is an option, but not permitted above treeline or in designated wilderness areas.

this may be helpful.

Carter Notch is self service year roudn (or at least that is what I thought).

If you must do a hut you may want to consider going south to north...take the Valley Way up to Madison and start your traverse...would be an easier day in my opinion to go that way to Lakes than to try and make it to Adams from Crawford.

Of course, I am nuts and I am going to try to do the entire thing in one day with no overnight. :eek:

nartreb said:
Backcountry camping is an option, but not permitted above treeline or in designated wilderness areas.
When you take the Jewel Trail down you skirt around (to the right) an unnamed ridge. I wondered if it's at all possible to bushwhack to your left, close to the top of that ridge. It looks like there's some open spots judging from that picture but I still think you're below treeline. Anyone know if you could find a campsite there?

sapblatt said:
Of course, I am nuts and I am going to try to do the entire thing in one day with no overnight. :eek:
It's not that bad. It's a fun hike but tiring towards the end if you save the Northern Presis for last. Don't do what I did and chicken out by instead of climbing Madison take the Paraphet Trail around. It's a nightmare! Go up Madison and when you're done -- start thinking about a Pemi Loop Day Hike!

Good Luck

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
sapblatt said:
Carter Notch is self service year roudn (or at least that is what I thought).

You're right, I meant all the huts in the Presi Range (all three of them).

You'd have to go a ways down the Jewell to get to anything resonable. It's a rough, rocky descent to treeline, then VERY thick growth for another long segment.

Dave's got it right. Day 1: Madison and Adams, then head to the Perch. Day 2: up over Jefferson, Clay, decide whether you can deal with the crowds and extra mileage for Big George or head directly to Lakes, Monroe, Ike, Pierce, and out. The beauty of the Perch is that it is an easier, more sheltered out if weather threatens, getting you back near you car.

I also wouldn't necessarilty want to head down the Daniel Webster trail after a long day. It's a fairly steep, rough go. Valley Way is a lot easier.

For me, North to South is the only way to go for this trip. Hiking up the Crawford Path has never been one of my favorites, while down is. I've got two 2 day traverses under my belt. I hope to try a one day hike soon (before I get way old).

SherpaKroto said:
I've got two 2 day traverses under my belt. I hope to try a one day hike soon (before I get way old).

I hear you. In fact, if you are looking for a partner I would like to give it a shot this summer. I'm in NH most weekends, but would prefer to do it sometime during my vacation. I'm planning on being in NH from July 1st thru July 16th, and August 12th thru August 20th, so keep me in mind if you need or want a partner.

Dr. Wu -

My traverse plan pretty much has me chickening out from the outset! I plan on summiting Madison and then mainly doing the all day ridge walk from the Madison hut to Gulfside, Crawford and out.

I do have a pretty crazy trip planned for late May which may actually be worse than this one...I will post it in Trips and Events when I get a chance. It involves about 30 miles and roughly 10 peaks (including the Bonds) in three days. :eek:

If I was doing a 2-day traverse, I'd probably go south to north. After Monroe, I'd head down Tucks and stay at Hermit Lake.

David Metsky said:
There are a few options, however. In the basement of Lakes is a small, fetid, hiker refuge know as the Dungeon. It sleeps 6 and it was possible in the past to reserve up to two spots up to 48 hours in advance. Call Pinkham to find out if they are still running the reservation that way. I wouldn't choose that for myself, as the Dungeon is a grim place that holds little appeal for me.
-dave-
Here is the copy/paste from the AMC website.

Refuge room for emergency shelter when hut is closed. (This critical room must not be used as a backcountry destination!)

And Dave continues to be way to polite when referring to the dungeon as 'grim'. BTW....aren't the new toilet facililities located just above the dungeon?

SherpaKroto said:
I hope to try a one day hike soon (before I get way old).

I will be very very glad to join you for one day traverse!!!
Please please please post it when you do it!!!!

blueZ said:
I will be very very glad to join you for one day traverse!!!
Please please please post it when you do it!!!!
If you're interested, I'm planning a 1 day Presis Traverse to celebrate my 30th birthday. The birthday is April 24 but I don't think the traverse will be that day. Though - I'm going to post it whenever it is in Trip&Events. I need a few more weeks of eating junk food and lying in bed watching TV to get ready though :p

sapblatt said:
Dr. Wu -

I do have a pretty crazy trip planned for late May which may actually be worse than this one...I will post it in Trips and Events when I get a chance. It involves about 30 miles and roughly 10 peaks (including the Bonds) in three days. :eek:
Sapblatt: Are you planning on doing a Pemi Loop?

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
If you're interested, I'm planning a 1 day Presis Traverse to celebrate my 30th birthday. The birthday is April 24 but I don't think the traverse will be that day. Though - I'm going to post it whenever it is in Trip&Events. I need a few more weeks of eating junk food and lying in bed watching TV to get ready though :p

I'll be willing to get up really early this time!!!
:p :p :p

DougG said:
And Dave continues to be way to polite when referring to the dungeon as 'grim'.
I have heard the LOC hiker's refuge often described as a dark, dank, smelly place. We stopped there this past winter on our way to Washington and can confirm that all the negative adjectives used to describe this spot are true. Even at 6 degrees with a stiff wind howling past the open door, the refuge room smelled terrible! It felt damp even below freezing. Imagine the moldiest, dampest corner of your grandmother's fieldstone basement. It doesn't help that some inconsiderate hikers have used the corner of the room for a privy. I would have to be really desperate to stay here even in the winter. I can't imagine how bad it can get in the summer. They don't call it "the dungeon" for nothing.

DougG said:
BTW....aren't the new toilet facililities located just above the dungeon?
If you walk out the dungeon, the base of the new toilets (cleanouts?) is about 15 feet to your right. It's not the Ritz.

I am planning a traverse as part of a team building exercise for a coming western trip, so please forgive me for not sending out invites on this one. We will likely be 6-8 on the trip which may already make it hard to stay somewhat together.

I will be posting other trips that I am planning for May and July however (June is kind of a mess for me right now).