All the near misses

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did step in a hole on Clay last year and sunk in up to my thigh. It was summer. I was very surprised as the ground just gave way and down my leg went. I bruised my knee and it took a few minutes to leverage myself out, but if I had been moving at any kind of speed instead of just drifting and looking around, I would have surely broken a leg or ankle. It was unlucky to fall into the hole, but damn lucky to not result in a serious injury.

The worst fall I have taken was during a road walk on Route 113 near Center Sandwich after a hike. The road was going downhill. I tripped and fell forward onto the back my right hand. It is still a little stiff after 3 months. Luckily there was no no traffic coming.

After an uneventful solo one day hike to Owls Head which took me 12 hours and about a million incident-free steps and incidentally completed my 48, I was relaxing at the cabin when I dropped something on the floor. As I raised my head, I hit the very hard and sharp corner of a shelf in the bathroom, cut my head, stunned myself, staggered and fell between the toilet and the tub and bruised my rib cage. So, at least on that day, the bathroom was the more dangerous environment.

Clearly a situation where making camp and spending the night would have been the safer option. :D