Appalachia Parking Area - The New Lafayette Place?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's correct that the problem is widespread, both in NH and in the ADKs.

The parking problem:
>is driven at least to some extent by Government tourist promotion;
>has been obviously coming for many years, and is absolutely no surprise to anyone (any claims of "surprise" are straight up BS);
>represents a significant safety hazard to citizens;
>and cannot be wished away, or policed away.

And yet with this developing problem obvious for at least a decade, Government land management agencies have done nothing to address it. Heck, over here in the Adirondacks they are talking about *eliminating* parking spaces, which will make this issue worse.

I have to say the parking issue in the Adirondacks seems way,way worse than NH. I have only been out there half a dozen times or so (and yes to many of the popular peaks on a weekend) and I was horrified at the craziness of the parking and people, particularly on Rte 73. That is a very narrow and winding road and on a Summer SAT it has heavy traffic in car lined areas where people are just walking right across the street into 50 mph traffic, unloading their cars with opened doors in oncoming traffic, etc. Shocking there aren't more accidents out your way. Way more dangerous than anything I've seen in NH.

Thread drift: The problem is widespread. The Wonalancet parking lot is regularly overfilled, with a long line of cars parked along the road (to the dismay of the neighbors).

Yeah, and that's been going on for years now. Last time I did Whiteface I took the McCrillis trail up and the [updated] McCrillis Path back. It was a fantastic way to explore the mountain. Sadly, if the McCrillis trail saw half the use the Blueberry Ledge trail saw, it would likely see substantial erosion.

Last edited:
The small lot for the East Royce Trail in Evan's notch was full yesterday, never seen that happen before!

Yeah, and that's been going on for years now.

Yes, there has been overflow for some years, but not at the current levels, which is prompting WODC and other organizations to take the parking issue more seriously than they have in the past.