Long abandoned route of the Osseo Trail from Lincoln NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frytz

Reaction score
I spent a month at Clear Brook condos in Lincoln NH, and after encountering two young ladies looking for the trail, I did some online research and found some information that was sometimes vague, sometimes incomplete and sometimes wrong. I did some exploring and found the "lost" trail which is still maintained by local residents, and is in quite good conditions. There are three separate entry points, one of which avoids lower crossings of Clear Brook (mostly unmarked), one which is the most published and has a crossing of Clear Brook which can be dicey at high water (unmarked) and a third which crosses Clear Brook farther up (easier) and is clearly blazed all the way.
If anyone is interested in this trail, respond and I will post descriptions of all three. All have reasonable parking in private developments. The ownership will "look the other way" is hikers park in visitor spots and confine each trip to one or two cars. Larger groups could meet at the Loon Mtn picnic area and carpool to the trailheads.

I am very interested in seeing the routes. I did it maybe 10 years ago but after Whaleback there was no maintenance being done at that time and the section from Whaleback to intersect the "new" Osseo above the staircase was a real challenge with massive blowdowns.

That intersection still looks obscured; I take a look occasionally when I pass by. Makes a nice camp spot though when you break through the brush.

The route is well documented:

https://www2.bc.edu/michael-clarke/cbhoa/Osseo/Osseo.pdf

I've been up it twice, the last time all the way through to the present day Osseo Trail, where it sneaks on at a subtle junction (easier to spot in winter).

Residents are indeed ok with hikers as long as you park in the guest spaces. I'm not sure about trail maintenance these days, but at one point it was being looked after by some local residents.

I did the trip up to the col this spring while doing a NH hundred highest (East or South Whaleback?). It is definitely maintained and occasionally blazed. I would suggest the approach from the East side of the brook out of the condo development is less intrusive to the guests. We were out for hike so we just parked at the Loon lot and walked across the street. I have heard over the years of guests giving hikers grief for parking but expect it varies week by week. My feeling is its best to park at Loon and avoid the hassle. I have also heard that someone has aggressively cleared the upper section that runs along the ridge from the new Osseo trail but haven't been on that section so cant verify.

Realistically it makes for a change of pace but IMHO, the new Osseo with its viewpoints is a major improvement.

Realistically it makes for a change of pace but IMHO, the new Osseo with its viewpoints is a major improvement.

Agreed. Hiked it back in May for a good view of Loon. I got one but I had to work for it bushin’ around, a little disappointed. Probably won’t be back for a while.

Last edited:
Agreed. Hiked it back in May for a good view of Loon. I got one but I had to work for it bushin’ around, a little disappointed. Probably won’t be back for a while.

I didn't do the Upper section of the trail. I am having back issues, so I was looking for easy hikes. And figuring out the base trail connections took my mind off my pain! So here are the three access trails to the old route.

1. It starts on the water tank access road (gated) in the Village at Loon complex on the right side of #7 Osseo Circle (wonder what was the inspiration for that name!). Follow the road to the water tank, cross the clearing staying to the right of the tank and find a wide footpath that continues on. Eventually you will see faint yellow blazes, becoming more numerous as the path continues. Eventually you will reach a "Y" junction with a small caiRn in the middle of the path marked with yellow blazes.

2. It starts between a pair of large rocks (in a set of seven rocks) next to #97 Clearbrook Rd in Clear Brook. This point is well published but causes confusion since it states there are 3 rocks. The path drops down, turns right and goes on a fairly level track to the Clear Brook itself. The crossing here can be a bit dicey at high water. Once across the brook take the path to the right that parallels the brook, gradually moving away from the brook. The path ends at a junction with the red trail. Turn left and shortly reach the "Y" junction with the yellow blazed cairn mentioned above. There is visitor parking near this trail.

3. It start to the right rear of #147 Clearbrook Rd. It is clearly blazed red and runs about 1/3 mile to a crossing of the brook, which is easier than the previous route. Cross the brook and continue a short distance on the red trail to the aforementioned "Y" intersection. There is visitor parking near this trail.

From this "Y" junction I took the remaining (uphill) leg of trail up to the next crossing of Clear Brook. Blazing is reasonably frequent and continues across the next crossing. This is as far as I went.

I hope this is of help to anyone looking for the old trail!