Has the Kinsman Ridge section of the AT north of Kinsman Notch (RT 112) reopened?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John in NH

Reaction score
Earlier this year, the 3 or so miles north of the AT north of Kinsman Notch was closed due to last fall's fire, and the AT was being rerouted to use the Gordon Pond trail. I called the US Forest service today, and the woman I spoke to said she thought the Kinsman Ridge section of the AT was no reopened, but she didn't seem sure. She also seemed to suggest that the .6 miles immediately north of 112 was closed and the the Dilly Trail was open as an alternate. This seemed confusing to me, because I thought the Dilly Trail was permanently closed. Has anyone hiked out there and used the Kinsman Ridge trail headed north out of RT 112 recently?

Kinsman Ridge Trail was reopened many months ago. Dilly Trail from Lost River is permanently closed.

Thank you so much. Good to know about Kinsman Ridge! That is what I thought about the Dilly Trail-- I wonder why the USFS thought differently?

(Disclosure: I used to maintain Dilly Trail before the fire.)

The trail was (mostly) within the Lost River Reservation, which in turn is within land owned by SPNHF. USFS may not be completely in the loop with the other players. Just a guess, as I really don't know for sure.