Need Camping Recommendation

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuck

Reaction score
Any recommendations for hike/camp spot in the Whites? Four of us looking to hike in, find a great spot, and set up tents on Sept 8. Many thanks for any thoughts. Tuck

Any recommendations for hike/camp spot in the Whites? Four of us looking to hike in, find a great spot, and set up tents on Sept 8. Many thanks for any thoughts. Tuck

That is a pretty broad description. Where are you driving in from? How many tents for the 4 of you? Hammocks or tents? Are you hoping to summit some peaks, just hang out near a stream or explore an area? Probably need to dial in the requirements more for a good recommendation. Based on your loose initial parameters I was thinking Dry River Wilderness. Several established camp areas in that area with multiple options for exploring or summiting a peak or two. Lot of the areas would also be fit for "at large" camping. The area around the junctions of Dry River Trail/Dry River Cut Off/Mt Eisenhower Trail/Isolation Trail may fit the bill. There is an existing thread going discussing the area.

Thanks for the thoughts. Will have two tents and be coming up from MA. A stream or lake appt would be great. I have done the 48 so have some experience with the whites; am trying to find someplace new. Thanks. Tuck.

Thanks for the thoughts. Will have two tents and be coming up from MA. A stream or lake appt would be great. I have done the 48 so have some experience with the whites; am trying to find someplace new. Thanks. Tuck.

Perhaps Flat Mt Pond trail, CCW from its trailhead parking. As you each the eastern end of the pond there are several great camping opportunities. It's a beautiful area. If you have two cars you could do a drop at Jose's bridge/Bennett Street Trailhead and do a gentle loop. You can also run up Sandwich Dome from the East to make the day more challenging. You could go down the ridge to Black Mtn, down to Black Mtn Pond, then back via Guinea Pond Trail if you want to go even bigger. :)

Check out Nash Brook Stream State Park. It's a gem, a true gem. New Hampshire's largest state park, 35,000 acres I believe. It's on the Cohos Trail, and you would go in from the south. There is a tentsite just off the trail, so you don't have to do anything illegal. Outhouse, water source, and you most likely won't see another group in the park at all.

Nash Stream Forest is not a state park, but a state-owned protected area. Dispersed camping is not allowed within the forest (which is a bummer, but I get it).

How far do you want to hike? How much vertical? Access to peaks

Three Pinds and Tunnel Brook are options. Many others.

Roger's Ledge. Fill up at the campsite at the base. Stay on the ledge.

Stairs. Carry lots of water. Several campsites at the summit.

Speckled Mountain. Campsites at the summit. Spring at the summit.

Black Mtn Pond. 3 tent pads at the pond.

Flat Mtn Pond. The shelter has a tenting area and there are at least 4 others off trail around the pond.

Thoreau Falls Trail. Best bet to throw a tent would probably be the abandoned rail grade/trail on the west side of the North Fork or near the southern end at the old bridge.

Shoal Pond. There are at least 2 sites off the eastern shore with obvious herd paths. In from Zealand past Thoreau Falls and Whitewall is an easy but stimulating trip.

Dry River Wilderness. There are a couple sites near the Dry River/Iso West/Dry River Cutoff Jcts.

Great Gulf Wilderness. There are designated sites all along the Great Gulf Trail and one at the Six Husbands/Buttress jct.

3 Ponds. Upper pond has the best camp site.

Wachipauka Pond. Hit up Webster Slide while you're at it.

Gordon Pond. A couple sites on each side of the outlet stream.