Grafton Loop question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faline

Reaction score
Anyone done the west side lately? I saw a review that it’s really hard to follow. Wondering if anyone else experienced this lately?
I’m not 100% sure my AllTrails download map can be counted on
Thanks for any info

Thanks for the feedback. I'd read the SectionHiker report from 2016, but in August 2018 someone wrote the following about it:

"I hiked the western half of the loop and found the trail to be difficult to follow at times. I would suggest keeping a GPS handy, because there were several times when I could not see any markers and had to reference my GPS to figure out where the trail was. I get the impression that it does not see a lot of traffic as it is very overgrown, in places it felt like we were bushwhacking because the growth was so thick."

Makes me wonder if people aren't hiking it much anymore and it's harder to follow than it used to be. Not many reports from 2018 (only the one I could find).

If anyone has done the western half lately and can provide a trail update I'd be very grateful :)

I downloaded the alltrails GPS map but the total distance is much shorter than it should be... makes me not trust it.

Thanks for the feedback. I'd read the SectionHiker report from 2016, but in August 2018 someone wrote the following about it:

"I hiked the western half of the loop and found the trail to be difficult to follow at times. I would suggest keeping a GPS handy, because there were several times when I could not see any markers and had to reference my GPS to figure out where the trail was. I get the impression that it does not see a lot of traffic as it is very overgrown, in places it felt like we were bushwhacking because the growth was so thick."

Makes me wonder if people aren't hiking it much anymore and it's harder to follow than it used to be. Not many reports from 2018 (only the one I could find).

If anyone has done the western half lately and can provide a trail update I'd be very grateful :)

I had a friend hike it two weeks ago and she had no issues. We hiked it last summer and had no issues either, there was the usual summer hobblebush growth that encroached the trails in spots but the trail was still easy to follow, the worst overgrowth was on the east side of the loop and was kind of fun as the hobblebush was over Whitney's head for a small stretch! The trail is lightly traveled so I can understand someone thinking this way if they are only used to well traveled trails, but if you've been on any of the wilderness trails in the Whites you should be fine!

-Chris

Thanks Chris! I've hiked all the "trailless" peaks of the NE115, 95% without GPS and I've been a-ok.
The reviewer I found is maybe just used to well-trod trails.
I appreciate the report :) Hope to hike it soon.

I had a friend hike it two weeks ago and she had no issues. We hiked it last summer and had no issues either, there was the usual summer hobblebush growth that encroached the trails in spots but the trail was still easy to follow, the worst overgrowth was on the east side of the loop and was kind of fun as the hobblebush was over Whitney's head for a small stretch! The trail is lightly traveled so I can understand someone thinking this way if they are only used to well traveled trails, but if you've been on any of the wilderness trails in the Whites you should be fine!

-Chris

I made it my mission to clean up the hobblebush on my section of the trail after reading your trip report last year. :D

I'm late to the party but...

I hiked the whole loop in August of 2017 and had no issues following the trail. On the west side, the hobblebush does grow in thick, but the treadway is obvious. Have fun!

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies. I did the Pemi loop instead.. will save this one for next year I think.

Thank you for the replies. I did the Pemi loop instead.. will save this one for next year I think.

I would be interested in hearing how that went in terms of parking and site availability; perhaps a quick note to that thread, thanks.