Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Bridle Path or Greenleaf?

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    My go to "hangover hike" (Late start) is Waumbek in Jefferson. Its about as well graded as any trail to a 4 K in the whites and Starr King is a nice intermediate summit to turn around if burning daylight. Its wide trail quite easy to follow with a head lamp if someone is burning daylight. It also faces west so the issue of early sunsets due to mountains to the west is less. Kearsage North is also another good option albeit not a 4k.
    A 4K would be nice because my hiking partner likes bagging them, I’m less discriminating but if one comes up I’ll go for it. Kearsarge North has a great view and is fairly strenuous for me, but I think I’d like to try a different route sometime. Chocorua is still probably my favorite, and my favorite route to the summit is Piper-Weetamoo-Hammond-Liberty. In 2 or 3 trips that way I’ve only run into a few people, nobody seems to know about Weetamoo. In windy conditions you’re sheltered all the way except for the small ledges on Hammond/Liberty and the last bit before the summit.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey J View Post
    Sorry I misread your post to say 14:10 was your starting time. General advice still holds. Start early. I like to be on the trail by 8 Am, but 7 Am for a long hike (Adams) and it was 6 Am for Owls Head.
    We definitely started way too late, I don’t think either of us woke up till 0730. We both slept poorly, too, my partner because he forgot his sleeping pad and it got down around 40 at Big Rock campground, me because he snored all night! Next time it’s separate tents LOL. We should have started at least 2 hours earlier, but he’s kind of a dawdler. Next time, though!

Ear plugs really help. For most folks a standard backpacking pad is not enough. Either go with an extra thick one or bring two. I grudgingly lugged a spare Z rest on the back of my pack in addition to a thermarest on my recent trip. It made a difference. Definitely age related.

Kearsage North does have a unofficial route via the former mountain bike trail. It is blazed in faded red paint and starts at the outlet brook of the pond on the Weeks Brook Trail. It eventually comes out about 1/3 of mile up the road from the trailhead. It is as well graded as the Kearsage North trail but like the KN trail the last stretch up the summit cone is steeper.

I used my new NEMO Tensor 25 pad, 3” thick and only needing about 30 big breaths to inflate. I doubt I’d use it in temps much lower than what we saw since it’s not insulated. It weighs less than a pound and packs down to the size of a 0.5l bottle, though. I have a Therm-A-Rest Trail Pro and Exped DownMat 9 for cold temps, a little heavier and bulkier to carry but better than freezing all night!

A friend recently biked from KN to Bartlett Mt, I don’t know if this is the trail you mentioned but it might be worth a try sometime. I don’t know how she got to the summit of KN with a bike, though - carrying it up seems almost impossible as riding it up!

Chocorua immediately went to a top-ten experience for me (and you know all about it), so I'll recommend...

The Moat Mountains: some similar views, and good stuff in any case, much easier. Also a fun and easy ridge walk.

Now, if you really want a ridge walk, try the Shelburne-Moriah trail from Wild River: gorgeous all along and (as often happens) the break-out at tree-line is breath-taking. I took a light over-night pack and stealth-camped up high and then again after descending the Moriah Brook Trail about half of its length. Such luxury! Bring an ultra-light spinning set-up and fish too.

I was supposed to hike the Moats with a group last October, but it was the Sunday that the big rain & wind storm rolled in so we did Eastman instead. Thanks for reminding me about them, I’m moving up to Jackman ME within the next month but I’ll definitely make it down for hiking the Whites. Shelburne-Moriah looks like a good hike, too. Maybe I’ll get my friend to ask his wife if he can make a weekend of it sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by NH2112 View Post
    We got a pretty late start, too. So, at 1410 and about 1/2 mile from the Greenleaf hut we turned back
    Smart choice. Best choice. Nice to see some common sense for safety's sake. Just sayin' that there are too many people who don't turn back and end up calling 911. Thank you!
    Have boots will travel.

Thanks, my thoughts on the matter are that the mountains aren’t going anywhere and while I don’t want to injure myself I want someone else to be injured on my behalf even less.