Bunnell Notch Trail ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard

Reaction score
I’m planning on hiking mt Cabot this wknd. Looking at the map, I didn’t notice any stream crossings. I know there is a potential for heavy rainfall this week. If there are no stream crossings, I should be good to go. Are there any I should be aware of? Also, is the Cabot Trail permanently closed? Thanks.

The lower part of Bunnell Notch is very wet. My map shows 7 stream crossings. Cabot is still "unmaintained" but easy to follow. People use it and it's flagged/blazed.

The Mount Cabot Trail is "No longer maintained" per signage found at the junction with Bunnell Notch Trail.

There are numerous minor stream crossings (rill crossings) when tackling Cabot from the hatchery. I wouldn't expect them to be dangerous. This is not a particularly dry route, as routes go.

Tim

The Mount Cabot Trail is "No longer maintained" per signage found at the junction with Bunnell Notch Trail.
It might no longer be maintained but it is still easy to follow. The trail can be wet. There is one stream crossing about 0.1 mile before reaching the Bunnell Notch Trail however I do not know the difficulty in high water.

There are numerous minor stream crossings (rill crossings) when tackling Cabot from the hatchery. I wouldn't expect them to be dangerous. This is not a particularly dry route, as routes go.

Tim

Agreed. If it's rained recently, then wet feet are quite likely. Bunnell Brook drains a fairly small, sloped area, so it's quick to rise/quick to recede. The first crossing just out of the lot is bridged.

Certainly you will have wet feet in the notch if it is raining. Likely have wet feet if it is dry so.... I prefer to come in Mill Brook and use Unknown Pond Trail but have done it once via brunell notch.

Certainly you will have wet feet in the notch if it is raining. Likely have wet feet if it is dry so.... I prefer to come in Mill Brook and use Unknown Pond Trail but have done it once via brunell notch.

I second this. The Mill Brook trail is one of my favorite trails in the Whites. It will add some vertical and mileage to the trip though, but also gives you a chance to visit Unknown Pond (beautiful) and the the Horn (also beautiful). It's a more rewarding visit to Cabot, IMO. More about the journey than the destination.

I hiked Bunnell Notch Trail on Saturday for Flags n the 48. There is only one true 'stream crossing' which was easily hopped. Overall, the trail was pretty dry. Very overgrown for the first half-mile, but easy to follow on its gentle grade the whole way.

I second this. The Mill Brook trail is one of my favorite trails in the Whites. It will add some vertical and mileage to the trip though, but also gives you a chance to visit Unknown Pond (beautiful) and the the Horn (also beautiful). It's a more rewarding visit to Cabot, IMO. More about the journey than the destination.

Third. Mill Brook is my favorite trail in the Kilkenny. You won't have any company until you get to Unknown Pond. The views from Kilback are nice. Bishop's Pond is a short sidewhack. Rogers Ledge is another rewarding short side trip if you're feeling especially ambitious. Older maps give that one an interesting name.

Long ago Bunnell Notch Trail was quite wet, basically it was in an overflow streambed down low on occasion. The FS was considering closing it down for several years and then decided to keep it after a change in recreational strategy in the area. It was then substantially relocated from a new logging road to get it away from the stream. The only typical wet area I remember is near the top of the notch where it flattens out and gets mossy. There are a couple of ditches across the logging road that need to be crossed but they just require rock hopping at best. IMHO the approach from Unknown Pond is wetter then the new Bunnell Notch trail as this northerly approach skirts a couple of wet areas down low before it starts slabbing the north slope. Neither one is particularly wet relative to most trails in the whites.

The Mill Brook trail is quite a delight, rarely used and quite wide and well graded. A substantial amount of it is an old logging road.

I hiked Bunnell Notch Trail on Saturday for Flags n the 48. There is only one true 'stream crossing' which was easily hopped. Overall, the trail was pretty dry. Very overgrown for the first half-mile, but easy to follow on its gentle grade the whole way.

Overgrown and in need of brushing out would be my description for the lower portions of all 3 trails that converge at the Fish Hatchery; Bunnell Notch, York Pond, and Unknown Pond Trails. At least that has been my late summer experience with them over the last 5 years. I liked Unknown Pond and would consider returning there via Mill Brook Trail just for a nice walk in the woods.