Meniscus surgery

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all very much for your feedback. I will do my best to not take them. I heal well and my tolerance too pain is pretty good.

I've had meniscus surgery and a few other outpatient surgeries and was always directed to OTC tylenol for pain (except for a difficult wisdom tooth extraction many years ago when I was allowed to whoop it up on percoset). Maybe it varies with the surgeon but I never felt the need for pain relief and I suspect you'll get by without it, too. In fact, the day after my meniscus surgery I was out in the garden when the hospital called to check on me ... they were pretty upset that I was up and about but I really felt good about not having the knee pain anymore plus I think there were still lingering effects from the anesthesia etc. I predict you'll more likely need something to keep you on the couch and avoid the temptation to go for a walk!

This is a very encouraging post!!

When I've taken opioids for pain they didn't do much for me. I quickly switched to ibuprofen. Hope everything goes well for you sierra. And I hope you recover quickly.

I had significant dental surgery last fall (twice) It was suggested that I use opioids. Instead, I bridged two different types of OTC pain/inflammation relievers. I believe that I used Tylenol & Aleve-I found an extended release Tylenol which matched the dosage time of the Aleve. I simply bridged the two different medications so I never "ran out" of any one medication. The trick is to use two different types of pain relievers-medications that are processed differents parts of the anatomy like acetaminophen/NSAIDs. With a history that includes addiction problems, I am scared to death of opioids. Also, I followed all post surgical suggestions to the letter, including icing. My recovery was really surprising to all involved.

Of course, please check with your doctor as I am not a medical professional.

I was given opioids after my surgery for a broken femur and hip. I rapidly discovered that I only had pain when moving and could sleep without the pills. So I skipped my night dose and effectively went off them every night. Never had even a hint of habituation.

At one point I tried switching to acetaminophen and it didn't put a dent in the pain. (If you try acetaminophen, heed the dose limits--too much can damage your liver. Also don't forget that a number of opioid pills contain acetaminophen.)

Doug

Cannabis has been my drug of choice for my surgeries and breaks. None of the liver/stomach issues and it has been effective through a shoulder rebuild, a major knee surgery, and I've lost count of the breaks/sprains at this point. YMMV. I'm just thankful I live in MA and have the legal option. I gave myself an ulcer and did quite a bit of damage to my liver as a teenager with ibuprofen so I avoid all that stuff.

I had both knees done. About 2 years apart. Aleve was all I needed. We're all different. Good luck.

When I've taken opioids for pain they didn't do much for me. I quickly switched to ibuprofen. Hope everything goes well for you sierra. And I hope you recover quickly.

This was my experience as well (with Percocet). In hindsight, I can't believe my doctor prescribed 30 pills for some short term pain. Definitely part of the problem.

I'm approaching my surgery date Nov.7 One last question. I'm kind of freaked out about taking Opioids for pain. I have heard a lot of stories about normal people getting addicted and going down the rabbit hole. I don't mind some pain, yet I'm not really into suffering either. For those that have had the surgery ( scope) can I get through the post surgery without Opioids?

Had this done in 2015. Surgery went well, pretty much fixed my issues, and for me (63 at the time) with PT I was good to go in 6 weeks. Now, the pain. This is exactly what I was told to expect once everything in my system wore off from surgery. "It's going to feel like a really bad toothache." I don't worry about taking pain meds, I've lost count of how many broken bones and surgery's I've had and needed them for. I have never become dependent. Anyway, the pain was pretty intense for at least 12 hours. Even with the meds, it was impossible to get comfortable. So that's what my experience was like. And by the way, I have a very high tolerance for pain. Hiked out with a broken ankle once. ;)

Good-Luck. Hope yours goes well.

Last edited:
Thank you all very much for your feedback. I will do my best to not take them. I heal well and my tolerance too pain is pretty good.

Be carefull.. they are good for a job that's needed. I had both knees replaced TKR as they call it.. lot's of pain..tough surgery. If I took too many I got sick..if I didn't I had huge pain. I weened off them during the day because I was active,busy,etc. But at night I took them to sleep as it's tough to lay with a TKR and when you get up during the night or morning it will kill you if you haven't taken the pills. Even then they or any other pain killer won't dull the pain like you'd like.
Maybe your meniscus will be different being not a TKR I would think so but this is my knee surgery experience.. first two weeks is tough..period.
Now 4 yrs later lot's of hiking year round.. just completed our annual hiking the Western Nat Parks for a month. To be able to do 14 miles about 3 k elevation and no knee pain is a miracle.. thanks to TKR's and my Doc.

If you do end up taking opioids for pain, stay really well hydrated. A friend needed to take the opioids for pain post major orthopedic surgery a couple years ago. The opioids gave him really bad constipation. The pain from the constipation was as bad as the pain from the surgery.

If you do end up taking opioids for pain, stay really well hydrated. A friend needed to take the opioids for pain post major orthopedic surgery a couple years ago. The opioids gave him really bad constipation. The pain from the constipation was as bad as the pain from the surgery.

To fix constipation I put that Miralax stuff in the coffee every day and some in a coolaid to kill the taste of it. Far as addition if somone has issues with drinking alcohol or binge eating I'd be worried. But most people don't get hooked. What I did in many surgerys I've had in my life it to wean off them slowly before the prescribed period ended. Taking Tylenol etc. during the daylight hours. With a good pain free nights sleep one can have the strength to move on in life.

Good luck tomorrow, sierra! Please let us know how everything works out.

There's a lot of great advice in this thread- especially for those of us who are approaching the age of wear and tear.

I hope everything goes well for you and we see you (and your doggo) back on the trails soon.

Just found the thread. Mine surgery was 20? years ago. Fine since. Go for multiple advil.