Age-related "power endurance" limitations?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srhigham

Reaction score
I turned 60 y.o. this year. I've noticed something this hiking season that I haven't felt before. One two bushwhacks separated by several months I've run into a figurative wall on relentless steep approaches. I call it "power endurance" as opposed to level trail or moderate grade hiking endurance (which I have noticed no issues with.) On relentles steeps, I quickly need to sit down and rest about every 50 feet (I use 0.01 mile increments on a gps as evidence.) Eventually, I feel so exhausted that I quit (usually within a half-mile total or less.) My legs aren't hurting, and I'm not losing breath, it just feels so lousy that I know I'm not going to make it to my destination.

Any one else see this issue? If so, what have you done differently to mitigate it? (For instance, I may not be having the right kind of food before-hand. Typically it's a Pop-tart, Gator-ade, and Clif bar or granola bar.)

Thanks

Does this wall appear during other activities? Sounds like you are hitting your lactate threshold. This can be trained via intervals. I am 53 and I can tell you that every passing year, the sustained power output level drops a little bit. With 25 years of riding and skiing and another 13 of hiking, I have probably lost less sustained power output than people who maintain a significantly lower exercise regimen. I am not really following any formal training plan involving intervals, but I get some in via normal group rides.

Or, it could be completely something else :)

Tim

My far less scientific observation is I need far more electrolyte supplements these days especially post hike and tend to snack more on hikes to the point that I no longer carry any real lunch. My summer time snack are Payday bars in my hipbelt pouch.

I tend to resist buying overpriced sport "nutraceuticals" as they tend to be lot of hype around fairly basic ingredients. I dont like to pay for "evaporated cane juice" when I can eat sugar instead. I do splurge on Cool Mint Clif bars as I dont normally consume caffeine even though they contain "evaporated cane juice".

Of course no substitute for hiking frequently. I find that I can take a weekend off but skip 2 and I feel it.

Last edited:
When I get to that point,even though it’s the last thing I want,I’ll force myself to eat some candy or a granola bar. I’ll take a breather and most times get back on track. It’s happened a few times recently.

Last edited:
Tim's right - you can train correctly and nourish correctly, but you have to accept that you will slow down. 62 here. I peaked at about 49 - did all my best times in events around then. I eat well, get out a lot, get plenty of sleep, etc., but I have slowed down. Just be happy you are out there. Half the 30 year olds in this country could not even complete a relentless steep approach, regardless of the pace.

We all know that after we reach our peak in performance that we’ll gradually lose that ability. We have to hold on as long as we can by trying to keep in condition. “Use it or lose it.”

Great topic. I think I discovered my maximum HR this summer on a hot bike tour climbing Vail Pass from the west; but a quick stop every couple miles and hydration/electrolytes made it so I was the only one in my group (some a lot younger) to summit. I'm 53. So now I just know what that is, and plan brief recovery stops on big climbs, and all is good!
Over time, you can increase your HR from its "theoretical maximum" which declines with age even if you're fit, but I would really work with a doctor about that. My Dad, who finished his NE 4K at age 75 a few years ago, encountered something similar on some hikes we did up by the Continental Divide in 2014, then had a cardiac arrest after a workout that winter from unsuspected coronary artery disease. Miracle was that it was witnessed, there was an AED in the room that was used correctly, he had bypass surgery 3 days later, and is now back to hiking at age 83... NEVER solo though!

Your maximum heart rate is semi-fixed, and declines as you age. What is trainable, however, is the lactate threshold, or the % of that maximum heart rate, at which you can operate (sustain). That threshold varies by activity. For example, last I seriously trained for bicycle racing, my maximum measured heart rate was in the low 190s, my cycling threshold was in the mid 160s (85%), and my XC skiing (skating technique) was in the mid 180s (95%). It depend on how many muscles you actually use, and XC/skating uses almost all, and therefore, your lactate threshold approaches your actual maximum.

Tim

I turned 60 y.o. this year. I've noticed something this hiking season that I haven't felt before. One two bushwhacks separated by several months I've run into a figurative wall on relentless steep approaches. I call it "power endurance" as opposed to level trail or moderate grade hiking endurance (which I have noticed no issues with.) On relentles steeps, I quickly need to sit down and rest about every 50 feet (I use 0.01 mile increments on a gps as evidence.) Eventually, I feel so exhausted that I quit (usually within a half-mile total or less.) My legs aren't hurting, and I'm not losing breath, it just feels so lousy that I know I'm not going to make it to my destination.

That sounds like what I used to experience when I was starting out backpacking around age 17. If I ascended too quickly, I'd have to rest often. I eventually learned to slow down and try to keep walking as slowly as possible, then when I recovered I could resume my normal pace.

I'm happy to get into the high 150s with a two to three mile run. I'm 56, so I'm happy to even be able to run that during my lunch hour, haha. I'm in better shape overall since I started hiking again 5 years ago. I love hiking mountains that I struggled with when I was younger, but now consider fairly easy.

I love hiking mountains that I struggled with when I was younger, but now consider fairly easy.

I rather enjoy that too. I remember when I was in high school (I'm 48 now) my family camped at Zealand and one of my parent's friends took me and a buddy on the Mt Hale Trail. It was a 2.2 mile death march. We didn't even have packs, just a sodas, and we slowly ground our way to the summit. Seemed like it took forever. Last time I did that trail it took me 1h 13m with a 20 lb pack. Didn't stop at all. My friend got quite a kick out of it when I told him about it (he never got into hiking - which is good because he currently lives in Indiana :) ).

I've always been a weekend warrior, having never "trained", and lately have no other strenuous activities other than hiking. I've always depended on innate fitness that has never let me down until recently. I have been aware of electrolytes since I went through a spell of post-hike cramps several years ago.

Had one of those post hike cramp sessions last Saturday night, it was warmer than I expected during the day when hiking. Despite having Nunn while hiking I assumed I was all set after the hike. Just in case I had a lemonaide laced with Morton Light salt after the hike. About 2 Am the next morning I found out otherwise. 45 minutes later I finally got to the point where I could chug down a NUUN. Been feeling pulled muscles for a couple of days. I used to rarely get cramps and only on real hot days but in the last few years if I dont do electolyte supplements especially when its warm, I regret it. I dont see any linkage to fitness except possibly inverse, the better hiking shape I am in means more Nuun.

Last edited:
I turned 60 y.o. this year. I've noticed something this hiking season that I haven't felt before. One two bushwhacks separated by several months I've run into a figurative wall on relentless steep approaches.

Any one else see this issue? If so, what have you done differently to mitigate it?

Yup.

Part I think is the natural aging process of physical decline. And part is not compensating for those changes.

Not much you can do about the first part except keep active, train sensibly for your age, and have good genes.

As for the second part, you might need to take better care of yourself during a hike. That means being body-aware of nutrition, hydration, heart rate and respiration rate. And also setting realistic goals.

For example, when I was 40-50 I could go all day with very little rest, water, or fuel. My endurance was machine like and I just took it for granted. In my 60s things changed. Despite being in relatively good shape, I put on about a pound a year (abdominal). In addition to lugging that around I found that I ran out of gas on several hikes I previously did simply for the exercise kick (e.g. Chocuorua via Liberty).

To compensate I began to snack and drink continually throughout hikes to feed the beast. And a Camelback REALLY helped w constant hydration. I also slowed down when my heart rate rose to 100% of my max (220 -your age). And if I was sucking wind I also pulled in the pace to get back into aerobic territory. Suddenly 2 MPH was acceptable rather than dogging it!

And I accepted the fact that some hikes I did as day trips would morph into overnights!

Now in my 70s, I can't get away with mistreating my body the way I once did.

Don't give up!

cb

I've always been a weekend warrior, having never "trained", and lately have no other strenuous activities other than hiking. I've always depended on innate fitness that has never let me down until recently. I have been aware of electrolytes since I went through a spell of post-hike cramps several years ago.

Learning how muscles burn fuel for energy may help you understand what's going on when you're hiking. Here's a link that has some good general info: http://teammudge.org/training/TrainingLogIntro2.pdf

Just turned 64, hike regularly and actually feel pretty good. Not hitting the wall just yet! I also work out on the gym 2-3 times a week regularly using the elliptical but I don't use the bars so my legs get the brunt of the workout.

I've noticed that I'm getting a bit slower than my younger hiking companions but not by much.

I'm slowing down from getting a bit more winded on the ups, a weak left ankle, and an arthritic right knee. It's all about foot placement so I don't aggravate any joint pain.

I'm thinking of thru-hiking the AT when I retire at 66. I need to lose 20 pounds to make that work. Weight gain over the years has an impact on one's ability no matter the age.

Good point about weight gain, which I don't think had been covered earlier in this thread. I am one of the fortunate ones; my weight never changes - I've been stuck right at 140 lbs. for the last 40 years. If I make a real effort, I can put on 5 lbs. or lose 5 lbs., but as soon as I go back my normal habits, the needle goes right back to 140. But for folks (mostly guys) who have put the 20 lbs. on the belly that is so common, the fastest way to improve performance, especially uphill performance, is to lose that 20. It's easier, faster, and does more for performance than any other nutrition or training changes.