Posting photos

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B the Hiker

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to post a photo. If memory serves, one cannot just upload it, but needs instead to upload from a photo sharing site.

For someone who has posted a photo recently, would you be so kind as to explain how you did it. The FAQ references Picassa, but that's gone now.

Thanks!

Brian

I would like to post a photo. If memory serves, one cannot just upload it, but needs instead to upload from a photo sharing site.

For someone who has posted a photo recently, would you be so kind as to explain how you did it. The FAQ references Picassa, but that's gone now.

Thanks!

Brian

You click on that square box with the tree in it, on the tool bar above the comment section. Then you can choose uploading from two sources, click on the the one that will retrieve your photo. Hope that helps.

Thanks!

Brian

FB_IMG_1538186064750.jpg<
I am trying to attach a pic now ;-)

20180930_080930.jpgTest upload.

It appears that 750 pixels is the max size, so that is a limitation.

There are of course, many other options, such as facebook.

Last edited:
Well Tom, I want to post it on VFTT! I should note the photo elicited exactly zero comments, and this conversation has been viewed more than the adaptive hiking vehicle has, so maybe it is sufficient.

Brian

Well Tom, I want to post it on VFTT! I should note the photo elicited exactly zero comments, and this conversation has been viewed more than the adaptive hiking vehicle has, so maybe it is sufficient.

Brian

Brian, I didn't see whatever photo you posted ...but I'd be happy to comment.

Well Tom, I want to post it on VFTT!

I suspect what Tom meant was you can host the photo on FB and post it here via the IMG tag.

I should note the photo elicited exactly zero comments

Hey, I commented - I included several links for people to read more about it, which included more photos and video. Linking to one of those stories might have been better than the photo in terms of gathering views.

this conversation has been viewed more than the adaptive hiking vehicle

VFTTers being helpful to other VFTTers to get photos posted... that makes me happy :D

Tim

Last edited:
I've done some this year from my computer, let's try again.....IMG_8267.jpg

looks like you can add from your computer, unknown about links from other sites.

I suspect what Tom meant was you can host the photo on FB and post it here via the IMG tag.

Can someone explain how to post a Facebook photo here?

I've tried a few different things, without success :confused:

I can figure out how to post a photo from my computer, but not Facebook.

IMG_6216.jpg

20231952_10155579122556340_8381249603268064593_o.jpg

Bring the image up in FB, use the view image option from your browser, put that URL in the IMG tags.

Keep in mind that only people logged into FB and allowed to view your photos will be able to see the image.

Bring the image up in FB, use the view image option from your browser, put that URL in the IMG tags.

Keep in mind that only people logged into FB and allowed to view your photos will be able to see the image.

Incorrect. Anybody can see the image you posted (this one: [url]https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/20231952_10155579122556340_8381249603268064593_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&oh=d3626a399759521b70bfee81567d13eb&oe=5C19AABC [/url] )

It's possible that you've set this photo to "viewable by anybody" and that Facebook is verifying that setting before letting me view it. I don't use Facebook so I haven't bothered to check what they do, but some services don't check at all - images are stored in a non-secure part of the website, and they only authenticate when you view a page containing the photos, not when you use the direct URL of the photo.

(edit: some crude poking around reveals that Facebook does check that the URL is formatted in a particular way that makes it harder to find additional photos when you know the URL of one photo. Notice that the URL doesn't end with ".jpg" - there's some extra information that the server is using to verify that the request is valid. If you try to just view the directory containing your photo [which would be the easiest way to see a list of other photos], you'll get "invalid URL signature." Mess around with the various fields within the URL and you get various other errors. With some patience I could probably figure out the format, but it'd take me a while. That's not particularly reassuring - facebook has existed for years, and it's a royal pain for them to change their URL format, so there's almost certainly somebody out there who has "cracked" their format long ago.)

Last edited:
Incorrect. Anybody can see the image you posted (this one: [url]https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/20231952_10155579122556340_8381249603268064593_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&oh=d3626a399759521b70bfee81567d13eb&oe=5C19AABC [/url] )

It's possible that you've set this photo to "viewable by anybody" and that Facebook is verifying that setting before letting me view it. I don't use Facebook so I haven't bothered to check what they do, but some services don't check at all - images are stored in a non-secure part of the website, and they only authenticate when you view a page containing the photos, not when you use the direct URL of the photo.

(edit: some crude poking around reveals that Facebook does check that the URL is formatted in a particular way that makes it harder to find additional photos when you know the URL of one photo. Notice that the URL doesn't end with ".jpg" - there's some extra information that the server is using to verify that the request is valid. If you try to just view the directory containing your photo [which would be the easiest way to see a list of other photos], you'll get "invalid URL signature." Mess around with the various fields within the URL and you get various other errors. With some patience I could probably figure out the format, but it'd take me a while. That's not particularly reassuring - facebook has existed for years, and it's a royal pain for them to change their URL format, so there's almost certainly somebody out there who has "cracked" their format long ago.)

Thank you, nartreb - this is a very important point!