I am deeply saddened to hear about this.

I first met John on the summit of Moosilauke several years ago, as we were among the many hikers joining Jay H on his Northeast 115 finish. Because John and I corresponded so much on VFTT, it was like meeting an old friend. We exchanged a big bear hug and later hiked the South Peak and down the Carriage Road, along with Puck and Bobby. I learned quickly about John and his many puns that day.

About 18 months later, I hiked with John up Monroe, Washington and Jefferson on a bluebird day in January, along with Jason Berard and Rocket 21. Later that day, John, Jason and I watched the Pats squeak by the Ravens in the AFC Championship game. We miraculously found a table there, right in front of the TV. Many beers were drunk and a mountain of comfort food was devoured. Jason and I witnessed John pounding down a whole bunch of hot dogs. Think he could have competed with Joey Chestnut or Kobayashi in the Coney Island hot dog eating contest.

The last time I hiked with John was a Bonds-Zealand traverse, as mentioned earlier by Tim. Later that night, John, Jason, Larry D and I had dinner in Lincoln and drove to the car spot on Route 302 near Zealand Road. John and Larry D exchanged some rather "interesting" jokes on that drive, much to the delight of Jason and me. I don't know if I ever laughed harder than on that 40 minute drive.

John was a great guy. Am fortunate to have met him. He will be sorely missed.