Personal hygiene in the backcountry

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanbu

Reaction score
The matter of personal hygiene in the backcountry has become more complicated as I get older.

In my younger days I wasn't much concerned. On multi-week trips I discovered that I had to wash at least once a week, or the discomfort level rose too high. I did this by heating up water with a stove and washing my stripped down body. No soap involved. I seldom washed my clothes. Since I carried only one set of clothes (underwear, pants, shirt) this meant high odor/dirty clothing to the max by the end of a long trip.

I stopped carrying toilet paper many moons ago, relying on natural stuff, leaves, pine cones, rocks, sticks. After the age of 50 or so I found this no longer worked for me (too much irritation), and I began carrying wet wipes. I carry out the used ones as trash.

I once had a bad experience on Owls Head. After descending the slide it started to rain and I decided to return the way I had come, by bushwhacking. I should have taken the trail. I was constantly drenched as I brushed through the wet vegetation. The last part of the walk was agony. I arrived back at the parking lot with a serious case of crotch rash. I checked into a motel in Lincoln to dry out, then took a bee line for the pharmacy to buy triple action Gold Bond powder. That brought welcome relief!

Nowadays I sometimes need to apply powder to feet or crotch, either as a preventive or to gain relief. I have tried various methods of application, without finding one I like. I haven't found a good way to avoid making a mess on the floor and/or getting powder all over the hands. Bad enough in town, even worse in the backcountry. Have you found a way to minimize the mess? Please share.

Nowadays I sometimes need to apply powder to feet or crotch, either as a preventive or to gain relief. I have tried various methods of application, without finding one I like. I haven't found a good way to avoid making a mess on the floor and/or getting powder all over the hands. Bad enough in town, even worse in the backcountry. Have you found a way to minimize the mess? Please share.

Last few years for my long runs and long hikes I've been using Gold Bond's friction stick. Just like a roll-on deodorant stick but I use it on my inner thighs, toes and shoulders. Body Glide is a similar product. They work well for me and don't make a mess. Easy to reapply as needed.

For my chronic athlete's foot, I find powders more effective than creams or liquids. To get the powder just where I want it, I tape over all but one of the holes in the cap of the container. For backcountry use, you might want to transfer the powder to a smaller container with a built-in nozzle, like for glue.

If you're spilling more than a teaspoonful per application, you're doing something wrong. That should not even be noticeable in a sleeping bag or tent, and certainly not outdoors.

For keeping my wife from complaining about a half-teasponful of harmless white dust on the floor or carpet, nothing beats using a towel as a drop-cloth.

I find an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Exofficio makes the most amazing undergarments for hiking that I've used. I've jumped into a lake in them, and been dry only 5 minutes after. Lifetime warranty, too. Pretty much everything I have is wicking... and since making that change, I find chaffage (even when bushwacking through wet nastiness) to be at a minimum.

I'm the opposite of you on the toilet paper thing. Its the 11th essential.

I use spray powder on my feet, when required. Doesn't make a mess. Here's one: https://www.cvs.com/shop/gold-bond-no-mess-powder-spray-fresh-scent-with-aloe-7-oz-prodid-1130469

Last edited:
Very long distance ultra marathon canoe racers (think Yukon River 1000 mile race) tend to develop butt crack rash from the internal friction of rocking side to side at each "hut", when changing paddling sides in the seat ("monkey butt"). Body glide works well, as does any slightly greasy first aid cream you may have (known from personal experience). Don't leave the start line without it.

Last edited:
I am a body glide user for the groinal regions. Solved my chaffing problems. Only down side is it seems to leave a little added funk to my base layer, but a small price to pay for comfort! My base layer tends to be compression shorts, which cuts down on thigh rub for me, but I have big thighs.

If you get rubbing on your feet, you might consider adding a base sock under your regular sock.

This thread is valuable, but most disgusting... :)