Trailheads near small airports?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Reaction score
Here’s something I haven’t seen discussed here… I’m looking for places to hike (i.e. trailheads) close to small airports in the northeast. New England, NY, Pennsylvania, anyplace I can reach in a couple of hours in an old slow (80mph) open cockpit biplane from central Connecticut, with no ground transportation other than my feet. Real small airports, I mean, a simple grass airstrip is fine, even preferable. Fly up on a Saturday morning, hike in for a quick overnighter, fly home Sunday afternoon. Marcy Field in the Adirondacks is one perfect example, of course, right next to the trailhead for Porter and Cascade Mts. (and the shuttle to other trailheads), and is in my plans for next year. There’s also Slatington, PA, where the airport is about a mile from the AT where it goes through Lehigh Gap. Anything else?

Twin Mt is a couple miles from the trailhead for North Twin, I think. Might be more like a 3 hour trip at 80mph from central CT, though.

Franconia is a little over a mile from the Coppermine TH, maybe two and a half miles from the Kinsman TH. Grass strip, mostly gliders.

While kayaking the Housitonic above the Falls Village Dam, I noticed a windsock a mile or so north of the dam, on the west side of the river, looked like it might be a small grass strip, probably not public use though. Still, might be worth checking out if you are in the area. It would be about a mile or two from there to the AT.

TomK

Last edited:
Gorham NH has grass strip popular with glider pilots. From the strip there is a short walk to the Irving station where there is an AMC shuttle stop. The shuttle gets you to all the major trailheads that lead to AMC huts in the whites.

BTW there is no FBO or any services at the airport. If you have the pump gas STC you would need to lug if from the Irving station. The closest FBO is the Berlin airport in Milan but there is no easy transportation to it.

Last edited:
Marcy Field, Keene Valley, Adirondacks. Trail to Blueberry and Porter starts directly from the airfield.

Carrabassett Valley, Sugarloaf Regional airport. Almost right on the trail
Looks like about 7 miles from the AT trailhead, unless there's something closer I'm not seeing.
Twin Mt is a couple miles from the trailhead for North Twin, I think. Might be more like a 3 hour trip at 80mph from central CT, though.

Franconia is a little over a mile from the Coppermine TH, maybe two and a half miles from the Kinsman TH. Grass strip, mostly gliders.

While kayaking the Housitonic above the Falls Village Dam, I noticed a windsock a mile or so north of the dam, on the west side of the river, looked like it might be a small grass strip, probably not public use though. Still, might be worth checking out if you are in the area. It would be about a mile or two from there to the AT.
At Twin Mt. it looks the Tuttle trail connecting to the Sugarloaf trail is pretty close. Franconia, I don't see the Coppermine trail but I see the Tucker Brook trail pretty close. Near Falls Village I don't see any airport until North Canaan, a private strip east of the river several miles north of the dam. Private strips are usually OK if you call for permission first
Gorham NH has grass strip popular with glider pilots. From the strip there is a short walk to the Irving station where there is an AMC shuttle stop. The shuttle gets you to all the major trailheads that lead to AMC huts in the whites.

BTW there is no FBO or any services at the airport. If you have the pump gas STC you would need to lug if from the Irving station. The closest FBO is the Berlin airport in Milan but there is no easy transportation to it.
Gorham's pretty close to the AT, though it's not clear where it crosses the river, I assume on the bridge a little ways north of the airport? I don't need an STC, my plane is registered experimental, but I wouldn't bother, I'd just stop somewhere along the way.

Here's one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harriman-and-West_Airport
The AT is less than a mile from the airport. You can spend time hiking on Mt. Greylock.
Not a bad one, though hiking all the way to the summit would be a long day including flying time.
Marcy Field, Keene Valley, Adirondacks. Trail to Blueberry and Porter starts directly from the airfield.
Yup, mentioned in my original post. I've had my eye on that one for years, but only recently got a plane that makes it feasible.

All input appreciated, keep 'em coming!

Are you looking at the trail head on Rt 27 or the one by the airport? Its a 3.5 mile walk through the woods along well groomed trails to the AT from Sugarloaf Regional Airport. There is an entire network of trails that connect the airport with the Bigelows if you head north, and entire network of trails if you head south to Sugarloaf and the Crockers.

4G4G.jpg

There are two trails that cross the airport itself, maybe three. You literally park the plane and start hiking.

Last edited:
You can hike Pine Mtn. directly from the Gorham airstrip correct?[/QU

The trail can be intersected about 1/2 mile east of the airport. The actual trailhead is difficult to access from the airport unless approached via Main street and probably is a little over a mile.

Middlebury State Airport, Vermont

2 to 2 ½ miles to the Oak Ridge Trail head on Vermont Route 125 in Ripton. The Oak Ridge Trail heads south into the Moosalamoo National Recreational Area. The hike to the summit of Moosalamoo would be around 8 miles from the airport.

Rutland, Vermont

1 mile to the Long Trail / AT

Last edited:
Gorham's pretty close to the AT, though it's not clear where it crosses the river, I assume on the bridge a little ways north of the airport? I don't need an STC, my plane is registered experimental, but I wouldn't bother, I'd just stop somewhere along the way.

The AT actually bypasses Gorham. An older route via the Mahoosuc trail starts at the former railroad trestle jut north of the airport on RT 16. There is catwalk for hikers under the ATV trail that runs on top. Due to landowner issues the Mahoosuc Trail does not officially start until you reach where it leave the Hogan Road on the east side of the hydro canal. There are signs pointing AMC trail. The simple method go across the river and then immediate climb the bank up to the old railroad bed. Follow it until you cross a bridge over the hydro canal and take an immediate right through the woods along a mountain biking trail. You will quickly come out on road along a large power line right of way. Take a right onto the road which parallels the hydro canal and just upriver from the power house that spans the river you will see the typical AMC trailhead sign. The other trail is the Carter Moriah trail on the east side of the town. That is also the former AT route. In order to get to it follow RT 2 and then turn right on RT 16 south. Cross the railroad tracks and then take an immediate left. Follow the road through a neighbor hood and you will eventually see a pedestrian bridge over a river. Walk over the bridge and take a right onto Bangor Street and the Carter Moriah Trailhead is at the end of the road.

Looks like about 7 miles from the AT trailhead, unless there's something closer I'm not seeing.

RE Sugarloaf Regional / Carabasset Valley airport:

From the airport you can access some very nice hiking.

The Narrow Gage trail is a walking and bike path that runs E/W past the airport. It provides access to several hiking trails leading to Avery / West Avery and the Bigelow ridge.

In addition, from the airport you can access the Maine Huts and Trails system of paths that run between their huts. Huts closest to the airport are Popular Stream and Stratton Brook. Both are beautiful facilities and provide meals and shower for about $100 per night.

cb

Last edited: