Black Fly Season?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It can vary from Year to Year. Mother's Day to Father's Day usually can be the worst of it; but other things like the amount of rain and average temperture within a given year come into play. Also Latitude,Elevation,and time of day should be considered.
I once heard an Oldtimer say they come in on Snowshoes and they go out on Snowshoes!
I donot think it is quite that Bad.
Keep your eye on the Trip reports in the coming weeks that will be one of your best indicators.

In the Southern Adks, Mother's Day to Father's Day is pretty close. In some wet areas, like Gore Mtn., they keep going right through the summer. I've been out in swarms of them in August and September.

In the High Peaks region, it's much drier most of the summer, and they really wrap up around the end of June.

Father's Day Gift

Thanks TCD that's what I'm looking for. I'm planning a trip into Wallface. I've been in many times around Memorial Day. Sometime they were bad and other times we never saw a fly. Reekee

I was in the southern ADK's last year in the middle of May and the black flies were out in force at higher elevations and biting.

Reekee,

Wallface bug timing is more like the High Peaks than the Southern adks.

Memorial Day is an "edge weekend" for the High Peaks fly season. Some years they're out, others they're not. Depends on how wet it's been, how warm it's been, and whether there was a late freeze.

Funny things happen. A few years ago there was a late freeze and snow on May 17. Flies which had hatched at lower elevations died. Flies which were safely in the egg at higher elevations did not notice the freeze. For the next month, the valleys were fly free, but the summits were terrible.

If it's possible, shoot for the weekend before Memorial Day. On the edge of the season, a one week change can greatly improve your odds.

Good luck! Bring DEET.

TCD

Tcd

So true, The problem with getting on Wallface too early is that the routes can be quite wet. Ideally, I would just one time like to climb when it wasn't wet and no black flies but again this is the Adirondacks. You have been quit helpful though. Thanks, Reekee