F&G activity around Twin Mountain/Route 3 today?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca M

Reaction score
Hi All - noticed mid-day today quite a few F&G trucks - 2 at the Skookumchuck Trailhead, 2 with snowmobile trailer near the 5 Corners on Route 3, a couple more roadside. Looked like some kind of a snowmobile problem? Was it hiker-related? I searched WMUR and F&G FB page and didn't find anything... any ideas? Just curious....

Could have been this: PRESS RELEASE from New Hampshire F&G November 25 11:00 AM: Unprepared Hikers, Falling Waters Trail
Franconia /Lincoln- At approximately 10:30 pm on November 23, 2018, Fish and Game Officials were notified about an overdue hiker in the Lincoln Woods area. 22-year-old Garrett Simon from Cambridge, MA left from the Lincoln Woods Parking area to go on a day hike at 5:30 am. His plan was to return to the parking area no later than 5:30 pm. He left his agenda with his parents and after they did not hear from him for many hours after his expected return time they called authorities to alert them of the situation.
Searchers looked for Simon on the trails leading from the Lincoln Woods parking area into the early hours of November 24 but did not find him. Multiple search teams were organized to hike the trails that were on Simon’s agenda on the morning of November 24. While teams were travelling to their search areas, 911 received a call from Simon requesting assistance in getting out of the woods. GPS coordinates were obtained from the 911 call and it was determined that Simon was on the Garfield Ridge Trail near Garfield Pond.
Fish and Game Officers made phone contact with Simon. He said he was cold and wet and had run out of food and water and he thought he would need assistance in getting out. Fish and Game Officers were able to give Simon instructions on what trails to take to get back to road side. At thesame time Fish and Game officers started in on the trails to meet Simon with food, water, and clothing to assist him in hiking out. At around 11:30am Fish and Game Officers made contact with Simon on the Garfield Trail and assisted him in hiking out to a snowmobile where he was transported to a parking area off Gale River Road. Simon was uninjured. He told rescue personnelthat he encountered deep snow that slowed him down and he eventually became too fatigued to continue and had to spend several hours resting during the night. He did not bring snowshoes on his hike because he did not expect to encounter conditions in which he would need them.
The incident is a classic example of how hikers sometimes underestimate winter hiking conditions and the challenges they can create. Winter hiking in the White Mountains can be extremely challenging even for experienced hikers. Proper preparation and the correct gear for a hike are of the utmost importance.
Hikers and other outdoor enthusiasts are encouraged to purchase a voluntary Hike Safe Card at wildnh.com/safe. The card helps support Fish and Game Search and Rescue activities. For safe hiking tips and a list of essential gear, visit hikesafe.com.

The weather up here was still breezy and bitter on Friday. Not the first time a hiker has gotten turned around on the summit and headed towards North Lafayette. Sometimes folks will decide to make it a loop and take Skookumchuck trail but unfortunately following Skook to the treeline in winter is a major challenge.

thanks - pretty sure that was it - and, just to add to the excellent comments (and I'm reading Sandy Stott's book _Critical Hours - Search and Rescue in the White Mountains_) I think some people just don't think about the effort and risk to all these rescuers!!!! There was a LOT of equipment in use!!!!

With all the Internet resources we know have at our disposal, there is just no excuse for not knowing the conditions you are walking into.

Given almost real-time trail reports, AMC hut snow stake snow reports, and the OBS wx statistics, how could you not know there was 20 plus inches of snow in the hills?

This guys best defense is that he's 22 years old and obviously has a lot to learn.

cb

Take a look at the various trail reports from Friday and Saturday. Jeremy (Rocket 21) had one on Adams from Saturday

https://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/viewreport.php?entryid=38469 that may be of interest.

I expect even with the expected 10" to 16" storm predicted for Northern NH overnight into Tuesday that folks will be showing up with the wrong gear later this week as the snow up here will just be rain down south. The warmer conditions forecast later this week will also lead them to believe that they do not need the gear.

Even though the legalities wouldnt allow it, F&G could probably fund S&R for a year by just charging fines to those heading up the FW OBP loop with inadequate gear ;)

For the first time in about 15 years of doing it, our Day-after Thanksgiving Hike was a sled ride: up the Tuckerman Ravine Trail and down the Sherbie (didn't file a report because the trail is a highway). Most of the water bars were already filled in, and snowshoes would be needed to breakout most of the adjacent trails (e.g. Raymond Path, Boott Spur).

Love the early start to the season compared to past years, except for the people who mistakenly think (or knowingly falsely claim) that is disproves climate change (which deniers seem to refer as 'global warming' when it's unusually cold). Climate is like personality, and weather is like behavior. Just because my brother didn't behave like an obnoxious jerk at Thanksgiving doesn't mean that he isn't one overall. Of course, people can change, but a single kind gesture doesn't negate the long term trend. People who ignore/can't see the trends are destined to suffer negative consequences (that applies for both climate change and my brother). :)

This was the depth on Haystack Mtn. (The Nubble) Saturday. Left my snowshoes at the base of the scrambles. And this is only 2700'.

0F9FTUteuFUY50W0cb9qc4_dykUAHzows-5P-lmrTJIIJy__c0pwgFMPe1f66waoV-6tn3c-0fzuBD8YW3zTjtIkOUTwqvHgr0AVA5om47K0rENbB6lriWLCW-m7m4HbiXmfZlsgg49s7ob13pVha7rySnQPMCkDKDBPtwjwWquz7S8koH2Ek3IGVcKqho7i9hpyDYilxXTLKZDwcI-N3QIQ8wdUZZaE80OpL2lTF1EIedMYMfDcnVV-fqqmq6si7XojtHqOuxpst9R4kDF4Oncv1oKMLRf4x7_DYhj8H9ATCQGirtcFn_8kpxNgq5eWE8B5VVQBdRdYJAJXPolwmGMqYucSkQWxo5hDdwqGFykzDY1bhuY-w6XGZ3av0bvCLt223bRNRUqK2Q6O8gmbP5Yr7xlGkIlc54ReSHbPakSUq7twZlQ7Spsge1SnSnX0k7joVS776EIlJDr9aMlwviBQ3t4zguxzdHIlgtSg6Ytk-42oYqjz5RN6i_5USRISEsHvtXzG1IIfbicGh3crZptRMrfE_ZrdLbRD6f8VO-h7PFjW0cJwbJqPeR0aHPpVTP29f6-3orId9NTCQlHus8ad0eVqiwNn6nr8IaEwWz9qBEe0uz5Ttj1WscvoZ1JSXI2T6ioGEJ_i3khbgmmRyxVulA=w900-h504-no

Unfortunately your photo didnt come through.

I have added 10" overnight to my snowpack and expect 6" more before its over in Gorham

I have added 10" overnight to my snowpack and expect 6" more before its over in Gorham

This storm is rain in Durham and heaps of snow in New Durham. It was supposed to bottom out at 41 here and actually hit 33, so the rain-snow line is probably a fair bit further south than forecast. Probably not going to make any difference in the mountains--hopefully everybody planning for this weekend was assuming it would be snow anyhow--but looks like more of a snow event than originally thought.

I've gotten 4 alerts from Eversource about power outages in Tamworth, along with 3 restoration notifications. The outages on their map keep growing. Trails might be hard to pass not only due to deep snow, but blow downs and bend-overs.

Big snow over here in the Adirondacks as well. At my house it's close to a foot now from the new storm, and we already had a good base from prior storms.

I just was out in the woods near my house. The snow pack is just about waist deep somewhat less in the open areas. Its fairly firm stuff that packs quickly. Its going to make great base once we have few freeze thaw days but breaking it before the crust forms will be bear.

Plenty of bent over trees I think I will put the snowshoes on an go out with a pair of loppers and just get it over with.

Nothing like a good dumping of snow to divert attention from yet another heated rescue thread discussion.:D

Nothing like a good dumping of snow to divert attention from yet another heated rescue thread discussion.:D

It's just a break before this weekend's rescue(s). :D

Got about 3 or 4 inches of sopping wet snow in the Kearsarge region. I'm not much of a winter lover, so I never thought I'd catch myself saying I can't wait for colder weather...

hmmmm all rain near the MA/NH I93 border area so the snow's mostly gone... so of COURSE no need for snowshoes this weekend up north, right???? :0