Did polarized lenses make me cross-eyed?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanbu

Reaction score
I tried out a new pair of polarized sunglasses. OK for a few days. Then came the day when I had to pay close attention to the very rough trail I was walking, picking my way around rocks, etc. I had to focus on the trail footbed for an extended period of time. When I removed the sunglasses, I found that my eyes were locked in a cross-eyed fashion. It could not un-cross them which was frustrating because it meant I could not properly focus on anything. This condition lasted for a half hour after which it subsided. After that I put on a different pair of sunglasses with ordinary lenses. I have not experienced anything like this cross-eyed condition before or since.

I wonder if anyone has experienced anything similar, and if perhaps polarized lenses played a role.

I use polarized sunglasses for fishing. They cut down on glare. I’ve never had a problem. I wear polarized sunglasses only. If you wear prescription glasses normally and don’t use them when wearing your sunglasses ��, that would cause a problem. It’s probably just a coincidence. Try wearing them again when you’re not in a potentially dangerous situation.

Last edited:
I tried out a new pair of polarized sunglasses. OK for a few days. Then came the day when I had to pay close attention to the very rough trail I was walking, picking my way around rocks, etc. I had to focus on the trail footbed for an extended period of time. When I removed the sunglasses, I found that my eyes were locked in a cross-eyed fashion. It could not un-cross them which was frustrating because it meant I could not properly focus on anything. This condition lasted for a half hour after which it subsided. After that I put on a different pair of sunglasses with ordinary lenses. I have not experienced anything like this cross-eyed condition before or since.

I wonder if anyone has experienced anything similar, and if perhaps polarized lenses played a role.

Sanbu,

I would recommend speaking to your doctor about this to be safe. I'd be surprised if it was the glasses as opposed to the physical exertion of hiking/dehydration, but it could also be more serious.

Over the past year or two I have begun wearing reading glasses (close up issues 0-3'). I've found over the past few years when I wear sunglasses, ski goggles, etc (some polarized/some not) they tend to strain my eyes a bit, I presume because of small specs, scratches and what not on the surfaces that my eyes blur because of the distance from my eyes. I find when I wear for awhile and take off I will sometimes find everything fairly blurry for a few seconds and then everything comes into focus. If it persists for more than 10-15 seconds I'll usually just close my eyes for a few seconds and "reset" and my vision is fine. 30 minutes sounds like an awful long time. Not sure what brand or quality of glasses they are but possibly there is something wrong with the coatings? Sounds like it would be worth trip to your eye doctor given how long it is taking for your eyes to adjust.

How do you know you were cross-eyed, rather than some other problem affecting your vision?

It all sounds very unlikely. My first guess that the proximate cause was the trail rather than the glasses, my second guess is that the glasses were prescription glasses, and my third guess is ask an opthamologist.

Apparently, I have this condition permanently for objects moderate to long distances away.

I spoke to my eye doctor and she prescribed prismatic lenses that correct the problem.

I had an inexpensive pair of polarized sunglasses once, and things looked "weird" through them. I realized later that each lens had the polarization set at a different angle, so each eye saw a different effect from it. I've always spent more for good polarizing sunglasses since then. I don't recall any problems after taking those off, but I was much younger, and someones else may react differently than I did.